Vacation in Cancun Mexico -safety concerns

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling in Mexico due to threats to safety and security posed by Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs) in the country. U.S. citizens have been the target of violent crimes, such as kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery by TCOs in various Mexican states. For information on security conditions in specific regions of Mexico, which can vary, travelers should reference the state-by-state assessments further below.

Did you bother to page down on the web site to look at the State-by-State Assessment... specifically for the Yucatan???
Old 04-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Gold member

as this thread goes on and on you will get all kinds of crap about the drug gangs in the mountains etc etc etc. the bottom line is the Yucatan is safe and great place to visit and you will find the Mexican people sweet and polite.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Interesting website comments on Yucatan

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=14351
Old 04-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

I have been vacationing in the Yucatan Peninsula for the last 15 years and have never felt unsafe. In contrast, I would never consider a vacation in many of our US cities like Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

"Statistically, Orlando is rated a very high crime area, among the top 5% in the country. Does that mean we don't visit Orlando? Of course not, certain areas of the city are safer than others. And so with Cancun. We've been to Mexico several times, and staying in the hotel areas, we never been to Mexico several times, and staying in the hotel areas, we never felt unsafe."

It looks like that I am missing something. FBI reports and Forbes as well see Orlando on place 81 right now on the crime statistics (February 2014) with crime falling tendency since 20 years.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzy View Post
"Statistically, Orlando is rated a very high crime area, among the top 5% in the country. Does that mean we don't visit Orlando? Of course not, certain areas of the city are safer than others. And so with Cancun. We've been to Mexico several times, and staying in the hotel areas, we never been to Mexico several times, and staying in the hotel areas, we never felt unsafe."

It looks like that I am missing something. FBI reports and Forbes as well see Orlando on place 81 right now on the crime statistics (February 2014) with crime falling tendency since 20 years.
In Orlando you do not have to worry whether the roadblock ahead of you is manned by police or by criminals.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzy View Post
"Statistically, Orlando is rated a very high crime area, among the top 5% in the country. Does that mean we don't visit Orlando? Of course not, certain areas of the city are safer than others. And so with Cancun. We've been to Mexico several times, and staying in the hotel areas, we never felt unsafe."

This website says Orlando is safer than 2% of cities in the U.S. Orlando crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout Your chance of becoming a crime victim in Orlando is 1 in 97. In Florida it is 1 in 205.

I think you did miss my point - it's not whether Orlando is in the top 2% or 5% of crime ridden cities - its that there are areas of any city that are safer than other areas, and when you go on vacation, you use a little common sense and go to the safer parts.

Last edited by mickey100; 04-02-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.