Viking River Cruise Standard Cabin?

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2023, 08:15 PM
Default Viking River Cruise Standard Cabin?

We are planning on taking a Viking River cruise this fall and the only cabin selection left are the standard cabins. These are the cabins that are at water level on the ship.
I am afraid that with no real outside view and such a small cabin space that it might not make for a pleasant stay.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:39 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimondAngels View Post
We are planning on taking a Viking River cruise this fall and the only cabin selection left are the standard cabins. These are the cabins that are at water level on the ship.
I am afraid that with no real outside view and such a small cabin space that it might not make for a pleasant stay.
First of all, have not had the "standard" cabin on Viking, but our experiences on Viking and on another river cruise line had us questioning why we did NOT just book a "standard" water level cabin. I say this because the there are so few decks, compared to an ocean going vessel, so a "water level" cabin, a deck 2 or 3 on a cruise ship, is MUCH different than on a river cruise. We found we had very little interest in watching from, or staying in, our standard cabin on Viking. We much preferred to do our day time and even night time observing on one of the open decks, while when ocean cruising, do spend time on our own balcony. Consider these things and how they might, or might not, effect your decision: you will only be one, or two sets of stairs from one of the open decks, you will NOT be 8, 10, or 12 stories from a location for food, snacks, or drinks as you would be on deck 2 of a cruise ship. You will not be getting the type of wind you get at sea, so sitting "topside" day or even night, is nothing like being at sea. The vessel will be going very slowly most of the time, again, being "up and out" possible at any time. And, though we've been lucky to not have been caught in rain very often, should it occur, you do not have far to go "down" to your lower level cabin. Our conclusion; probably would NOT spend the money again for the cabins with the an entire wall of sliding glass, we much preferred to sit "atop" to watch the slowly passing sights and interesting architecture, cathedral steeples, etc. Just as an ocean voyage, check and double check to make sure you've not forgotten your binoculars, I think you will find you use them more than ever on a river cruise and regardless of what cabin you end up booking, I doubt you'll spend much time in it. I know they often say that about ocean cruising, but we do enjoy and spend time in our cabin on those, but river cruises, not nearly as much. Also, much smaller passenger count and you will find (I think), passengers recognizing most of the others passengers after only a couple days, and many, if not most, do not spend their days in their cabins (as a rule... I'm sure there are some who do). So, if you really are not looking for a "resort", to just go off and enjoy spending time in a luxurious room as the major part of the vacation, then I'd take what ever cabin is available ! Only YOU can decide if a standard room will spoil your vacation. If it will, book at least a year ahead, don't be regretful. Just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy !
Old 06-15-2023, 09:30 PM
Default Viking Payment due 21 months before departure

My wife and I along with a few other couples were going to book the Viking Grand European Tour for 2025 (15 days), but they wanted us to pay in full ($15,000+ per couple) 21 months ahead of departure. Nope, not happening.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:07 PM

Just came back from a Viking cruise…..UPGRADE TO A VERANDA BALCONY
Old 06-16-2023, 03:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,378 Times in 2,519 Posts

At the prices Viking charge, I would be quite happy to bunk in the crews quarters for a 25% discount.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike36 View Post
Just came back from a Viking cruise…..UPGRADE TO A VERANDA BALCONY
So you had a standard cabin at water level, and wanted to upgrade because you were disappointed?

Or did you start with a veranda balcony cabin, and were so happy with the size, view, location that you would only book that type of cabin?

Since you have firsthand knowledge could you give OP the good, bad and ugly on why never to get a standard water level cabin?
Old 06-16-2023, 04:37 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Standard Room

We had a standard room on Viking Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. Not a issue.
We spent very little time in the room. The open decks are where you want to be when cruising.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:06 AM

Although we weren't on a Viking river boat, we were on an Avalon river boat in a standard cabin. And since all of the Europe river boats are VERY similar, since they are all built to go through the locks and under the bridges, I think it is safe to assume our experience would be similar to yours on Viking. First, you typically travel at night, when you are sleeping, so watching the world go by isn't applicable. Second, during the day, you typically are either in the dining room for meals or on a tour through one of the cities, so you aren't in your cabin to look out at anything. Third, if you are on the Rhine river, during the day transit through the gorge you will want to be on the top deck looking at all the castles on BOTH sides of the river. And fourth, Our standard cabin was as big or bigger than some of the verandas since the cabin doesn't have to have space for the balcony and it is configured exactly like the other cabins above it. There is also a large window so it isn't like an "inside cabin". The one interesting thing was that when you are laying on the bed you can hear the sound of a propeller from other river boats passing by and it was very relaxing, much like sleeping on a train. So, if you asked us if we would book that same cabin type again, our answer would be Yes. We loved that trip.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:31 AM
Sage

Sire1 gives a good, logical explanation. We experienced the same thing on a Tauck cruise in a standard cabin. Our friends had a "balcony" cabin and complained about the noise from the rattling glass doors. River cruises are just not the same as ocean cruises. .
Old 06-16-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
First of all, have not had the "standard" cabin on Viking, but our experiences on Viking and on another river cruise line had us questioning why we did NOT just book a "standard" water level cabin. I say this because the there are so few decks, compared to an ocean going vessel, so a "water level" cabin, a deck 2 or 3 on a cruise ship, is MUCH different than on a river cruise. We found we had very little interest in watching from, or staying in, our standard cabin on Viking. We much preferred to do our day time and even night time observing on one of the open decks, while when ocean cruising, do spend time on our own balcony. Consider these things and how they might, or might not, effect your decision: you will only be one, or two sets of stairs from one of the open decks, you will NOT be 8, 10, or 12 stories from a location for food, snacks, or drinks as you would be on deck 2 of a cruise ship. You will not be getting the type of wind you get at sea, so sitting "topside" day or even night, is nothing like being at sea. The vessel will be going very slowly most of the time, again, being "up and out" possible at any time. And, though we've been lucky to not have been caught in rain very often, should it occur, you do not have far to go "down" to your lower level cabin. Our conclusion; probably would NOT spend the money again for the cabins with the an entire wall of sliding glass, we much preferred to sit "atop" to watch the slowly passing sights and interesting architecture, cathedral steeples, etc. Just as an ocean voyage, check and double check to make sure you've not forgotten your binoculars, I think you will find you use them more than ever on a river cruise and regardless of what cabin you end up booking, I doubt you'll spend much time in it. I know they often say that about ocean cruising, but we do enjoy and spend time in our cabin on those, but river cruises, not nearly as much. Also, much smaller passenger count and you will find (I think), passengers recognizing most of the others passengers after only a couple days, and many, if not most, do not spend their days in their cabins (as a rule... I'm sure there are some who do). So, if you really are not looking for a "resort", to just go off and enjoy spending time in a luxurious room as the major part of the vacation, then I'd take what ever cabin is available ! Only YOU can decide if a standard room will spoil your vacation. If it will, book at least a year ahead, don't be regretful. Just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy !
I agree with this. We had the standard cabin for the 2 week Grand European cruise a few years ago and spent little time in our room.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:58 PM

We did the standard cabin 4 years ago, and we are doing it again next week. It’s fine, more window would be better, but for the amount of time we spent in the room it was just no big deal.

My wife was 100% ok with it, I was a little less so. She found the sound of the water against the hull soothing, I really didn’t care for it. There was also a modest amount of mechanical noise, but I suspect that varies based on where you are on the deck os well as which level you are on.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

We did the veranda room on our last trip. We are doing a standard cabin on our October trip because 1) that was the only class available and 2) like others we spent little time in the room except to rest or sleep. We preferred to sight see from the lounges or top deck.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-17-2023, 06:32 AM

I am a travel agent living in the villages and I have traveled on many river cruises in Europe. There are better river cruise ycompanies than Viking. Avalon, AMA and Uniworld. I steer my customers away from Viking due to the large upfront payment.
I also agree that eyou can get the lesser price cabin and do your viewing on deck.
There are many specials out there, free or discounted air, gratuities, and tours, Work with an agent that had been on the rivers of Europe.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:17 AM

We try to book on the Starboard side. The ship tends to keep to the right of the river, so you are closer to see whatever is on shore.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimondAngels View Post
Viking cruises are the best. If you are going to spend a lot of time in your cabin, which I don't think you want to, then it might be an issue. Use your cabin for sleep and shower only and the rest of the time go up on the outer/upper decks for sight seeing, when the boat is moving, or go sight seeing when in port. Great cruise line!
Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, river, cabins, viking, cruise

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.