Viking River Cruise Standard Cabin?

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2023, 07:47 AM

We stayed in one of those cabins and it was just fine!
We would stay in one of these rooms again! There were several windows that let in a lot of light. On Viking you are not in your room
except to sleep! We were on a fairly new boat.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Agree that for most people, a standard cabin would work just fine. There are, however, some folks who just can't do it...my wife being one. She is claustrophobic, and being in a small enclosed room with no means of fresh air is very troubling for her. We have done dozens of ocean cruises, always in a balcony cabin. We are doing a Viking river cruise next year, and it will be in a veranda cabin. Her peace of mind and comfort are worth the extra expense.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmellone View Post
I am a travel agent living in the villages and I have traveled on many river cruises in Europe. There are better river cruise ycompanies than Viking. Avalon, AMA and Uniworld. I steer my customers away from Viking due to the large upfront payment.
I also agree that eyou can get the lesser price cabin and do your viewing on deck.
There are many specials out there, free or discounted air, gratuities, and tours, Work with an agent that had been on the rivers of Europe.
Which ones do you recommend
Old 06-17-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssouan View Post
Which ones do you recommend
Uniworld is my favorite! Food is much better than Viking, and includes drinks and gratuities.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimondAngels View Post
We are planning on taking a Viking River cruise this fall and the only cabin selection left are the standard cabins. These are the cabins that are at water level on the ship.
I am afraid that with no real outside view and such a small cabin space that it might not make for a pleasant stay.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
We took a Viking River Cruise on the Danube River. A balcony cabin is a must! There is a small chance that sickness could spread on the cruise, and it's important to have access to fresh outside air from the balcony. The balcony also makes the cruise much more enjoyable. However, when multiple river boats are docked at the port, the boats are tied together, side to side, so you're balcony won't have a view during the times with the boats are tied together.

We took the west to east cruise on the Danube River. We were going to take the east to west Viking River Cruise, but changed out mind at the last minute to go with the west to east cruise. Both cruises started at the same date, going in the opposite directions on the Danube River. An accident happened with the east to west Viking River Cruise boat, which we didn't take. The east to west Viking River Cruise boat hit a smaller river boat on the Danube River. The smaller river boat sunk in seconds. Many people were killed on the smaller river boat. There weren't any fatalities on the Viking River Cruise boat. The cause for the accident was an intoxicated captain of the Viking River Cruise boat.

An accident where the river boat could sink and kill people is probably very rare. But the people killed on the smaller river boat were probably in the lower cost cabins at the water level, and could not escape. If they had balcony cabins, they might have had a better chance to survive.

Our trip was not impacted by the accident which killed many people, because by luck, we took a different Viking River Cruise. I also heard a story about a person being killed in a lower deck cabin on a Antarctica cruise by a rouge severe wave that broke through the window. I think it's worth the extra cost to have a balcony cabin which is higher on the River Boat or Cruise ship just in case there is a health outbreak problem or if there is some kind of accident. If all the better cabins are booked, there's always another cruise in the future. You might have to wait till next year for the next ideal cruise at the best time of the year to take the cruise.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I am a travel agent living in the villages and I have traveled on many river cruises in Europe. There are better river cruise ycompanies than Viking. Avalon, AMA and Uniworld. I steer my customers away from Viking due to the large upfront payment.
I also agree that eyou can get the lesser price cabin and do your viewing on deck.
There are many specials out there, free or discounted air, gratuities, and tours, Work with an agent that had been on the rivers of Europe.
Would you please send me your info so I have it for a future river cruise?
Old 06-17-2023, 10:48 AM

We live in the Village of Linden. Thinking about taking Riverboat Cruise in 2024. Wife and I would love to chat with you. Please let me know how we can contact you.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:53 AM
Default "...regardless of what cabin you end up booking, I doubt you'll spend much time in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
"...regardless of what cabin you end up booking, I doubt you'll spend much time in it."
Exactly! Well said....
Old 06-17-2023, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,372 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
We took a Viking River Cruise on the Danube River. A balcony cabin is a must! There is a small chance that sickness could spread on the cruise, and it's important to have access to fresh outside air from the balcony. The balcony also makes the cruise much more enjoyable. However, when multiple river boats are docked at the port, the boats are tied together, side to side, so you're balcony won't have a view during the times with the boats are tied together.

We took the west to east cruise on the Danube River. We were going to take the east to west Viking River Cruise, but changed out mind at the last minute to go with the west to east cruise. Both cruises started at the same date, going in the opposite directions on the Danube River. An accident happened with the east to west Viking River Cruise boat, which we didn't take. The east to west Viking River Cruise boat hit a smaller river boat on the Danube River. The smaller river boat sunk in seconds. Many people were killed on the smaller river boat. There weren't any fatalities on the Viking River Cruise boat. The cause for the accident was an intoxicated captain of the Viking River Cruise boat.

An accident where the river boat could sink and kill people is probably very rare. But the people killed on the smaller river boat were probably in the lower cost cabins at the water level, and could not escape. If they had balcony cabins, they might have had a better chance to survive.

Our trip was not impacted by the accident which killed many people, because by luck, we took a different Viking River Cruise. I also heard a story about a person being killed in a lower deck cabin on a Antarctica cruise by a rouge severe wave that broke through the window. I think it's worth the extra cost to have a balcony cabin which is higher on the River Boat or Cruise ship just in case there is a health outbreak problem or if there is some kind of accident. If all the better cabins are booked, there's always another cruise in the future. You might have to wait till next year for the next ideal cruise at the best time of the year to take the cruise.
Do you wear a mask and life jacket all the time as well?
Just in case!
Old 06-17-2023, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marynealmichigan View Post
My wife and I along with a few other couples were going to book the Viking Grand European Tour for 2025 (15 days), but they wanted us to pay in full ($15,000+ per couple) 21 months ahead of departure. Nope, not happening.
Thought they only wanted payment a year ahead of time. Guess better to use your customer for working capital than a bank.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:51 PM
Default River cruise

Quote:
I would be interested in speaking with you about a river cruise. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I am interested in talking with you about a river cruise. Thanks, Chris
Old 06-19-2023, 11:24 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
We had a standard room on Viking Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. Not a issue.
We spent very little time in the room. The open decks are where you want to be when cruising.
That is exactly what we found ! Much different on a river cruise, only did the lux category once, after that, definitely not worth it on a river vessel, only a couple stair ways up, and much preferred to spend our days on one of the open, and covered, decks.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacScuba View Post
We try to book on the Starboard side. The ship tends to keep to the right of the river, so you are closer to see whatever is on shore.
Good point.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by MacScuba View Post
"We try to book on the Starboard side. The ship tends to keep to the right of the river, so you are closer to see whatever is on shore.

Good point."

From what I remember, the Rhine river isn't as wide as you might imagine. And I don't think the others are either. So, it isn't much of a difference and I doubt you will be in your cabin much for it to make or break your room selection. And if you are in one of the Standard cabins, you are near waterline, so again I don't think it matters much. Incidentally, we were woken up in our standard cabin one morning with noise at the window. When we looked out, there were a couple of swans right at our window pecking at the ship. We watched them for quite awhile until they moved off.
Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, river, cabins, viking, cruise

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.