Visiting Machu Piccho

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2023, 10:36 AM

I am planning to go in March. I have flights and hotels booked, but I too am looking for a local Peruvian guide/transfer company (we don't do group tours). I was just planning on relying on the hotel concierge to assist me with the local guides and transfers but haven't gotten to it yet. We are using this hotel in the Sacred Valley as a home base to explore both the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu and our hotel has a train station stop for the train into Machu Picchu. The Sacred Valley is about 2 hours and couple thousand feet lower then Cusco. We are headed straight (down) there from the airport as soon as we land to acclimate for 3 nights before the Machu Picchu tour day, and taking altitude medication before arrival in Peru. We will do a few nights in Cusco at the end after our bodies are used to the altitude of Sacred Valley. We have already done the Galapogos, and experienced the elevation of Quito so I know what to expect for my body in the Sacred Valley which is at a very similar elevation. Take the altitude medication even though it has some side effects, and don't think that you are going to be able to do too much hiking unless you plan to acclimate for several days prior. If anyone has a local tour company they used in Cusco or Sacred Valley please pass it along.
Old 08-17-2023, 12:51 PM

Went with a tour company, Gate1. Go online and register for their specials then wait till that trip comes up, you can save up to $1,500 total on a good sale. Excellent hotels, excellent guides and air and many meals are included. We loved it. Check with your Dr for high altitude pills and if your heart can handle it.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:47 PM
Default Trek operator

If hiking, ‘Adventure Journeys’. All companies observed on trail looked great. Guide qualification and limits on trekkers per day keep safety standard high. Don’t forget to arrive a few days early to adjust to altitude. Cusco is fascinating.
Old 08-17-2023, 03:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1248D View Post
Hello Villagers! My wife and I are planning a trip to Machu Piccho next year and am wondering if you had a travel experience, company, or resort you prefer or recommend? Any advice good or otherwise is appreciated. Thanks!
Book a trip that overnights in the hotel by the park entrance. It will give you much more time actually on site, a lot of it without the crowds of day-trippers.
Old 08-18-2023, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Book a trip that overnights in the hotel by the park entrance. It will give you much more time actually on site, a lot of it without the crowds of day-trippers.
This is good advice. When we went several years ago, our friend purchased a "Lonely Planet" and designed a 3-1/2-week trip to Peru. We two couples were living on our sailboats which we docked at Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela. This vacation took place during November and into December. Every cost was negotiated in person. For instance, a hotel room started with an asking price, say $30, and was bargained down to an agreeable price, say $20. Such was the room in Aguas Calientes, at the bottom of the mountain at the entrance to Machu Picchu,

Tourists arrive en masse around 11 am to early afternoon. We found it more of a benefit to come back a second day early in the morning before the crowds arrived. Here is a photo taken that morning:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	12 02 49.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	99800  
Old 08-18-2023, 12:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
... Check with your Dr for high altitude pills and if your heart can handle it.
Acetazolamide is what I have used for high altitudes. Check with your doctor.

WebMD... click here.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Arrived there and greeted by strikes which left no access. Ruined vacation. Turns out to be a frequent event. Good luck
Closed Thread

Tags
piccho, machu, visiting, experience, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.