Visiting Machu Piccho

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2023, 07:03 AM
Default Visiting Machu Piccho

Hello Villagers! My wife and I are planning a trip to Machu Piccho next year and am wondering if you had a travel experience, company, or resort you prefer or recommend? Any advice good or otherwise is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2023, 07:27 AM

I'm going this 'September. Will let you know.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 08-16-2023, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We went many years ago, everything was easy to navigate, and had a home base hotel, probably no longer there.

One of our son’s travels extensively for work all over Mexico..fluent language, he suggested using a travel company to any major sites. They get you there, usually have better insight, some areas now only allow so many visitors.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:36 AM

Contact Affordable Tours and ask for Trena. Used them for years. First class and best pricing we ever found. https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=f6e6b...zLmNvbS8&ntb=1
Old 08-16-2023, 09:30 AM

It has been a while since our trip so will not offer a specific recommendation on tour organizer. I would suggest that you book with someone who uses local guides who take their time going through the site. Since you are at much higher altitudes, you will need time to catch your breath as you climb up the steps. It is beautiful but crowded.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 08-16-2023, 10:09 AM

It's been ten years, but we used Tauck; 1st class all the way. Hotels, food, transportation, and guides top notch. We combined it with a cruise (small ship) around the Galapagos Islands.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:32 AM
Default Experience of a lifetime, BUT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1248D View Post
Hello Villagers! My wife and I are planning a trip to Machu Piccho next year and am wondering if you had a travel experience, company, or resort you prefer or recommend? Any advice good or otherwise is appreciated. Thanks!
I enjoyed a remarkable trip to MachuPicchu several years ago. Two very important points I would like to stress:
Be sure to arrange your trip to include a local, reputable organizer/guide. Besides the complicated logistics of getting there, my understanding is that the authorities now have limited admission reservations to control crowds. You want to be guaranteed you have a spot!
No matter what, allow time in your schedule to acclimate to the altitude. We were a small group that flew in together the day before our visit. Those first 24 hours were BRUTAL for me and several others. I barely got thru the night and finally felt human again the next day. Two of our group had to be hospitalized and never made it to the site! Allow your body the time to adapt and take advantage of oxygen if needed and the green leaves/tea whenever offered (you’ll find out…😉!)
Be safe and enjoy!
Old 08-17-2023, 04:52 AM

Gate 1 travel
Old 08-17-2023, 05:04 AM

We did this a few short years ago. Normally, we would have planned this ourselves, but after discussing with a few experienced friends, we booked with Truck, and so glad we did.

Well organized, and small groups. Planes, trains, buses, and boats, as it also included Lima, Peru, Lake Titicaca, and Bolivia.

A+++
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 08-17-2023, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We used Gate 1 and have been very happy with them. They have many tours that include Machu Piccho from walking to a train.
Old 08-17-2023, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I was just there in May. Have been to South America a few times and use Adventure Life
They will customize a tour for you depending on what you want to see in Peru. They will arrange all Hotels, Guides, Transportation with there suppliers in Peru. They do an excellent job
Old 08-17-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I did Machu Piccho 5 or 6 years ago and had a great trip with Road Scholar. Started in Lima. Tour of Peru and of course enough time at MP. Peru has a great food culture if you didn’t know. This particular tour co rubies on to Ecuador and The Galápagos Islands.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:59 AM

We just got back this summer. We visited the Galapagos, Amazon and Machu Picchu. Great guides, hotels and food. Lots of hiking. Bucket list trip.

Andean Discovery | 1.800.893.0916
Personalized Adventures to South America
Old 08-17-2023, 08:25 AM
Default Machu Picchu

Good Morning,
I am a travel advisor for over 40 years and have sold many trips as well as have been myself to Machu Picchu. I would be happy to assist you with arrangements to this area. You can reach me at laraine@odysseytravel with an introduction of what you are interested in and we can go from there. Hope to speak with you soon,
Old 08-17-2023, 09:01 AM

A few years ago we went with Gate1 & it included Lake Titicaca which I highly recommend! Lake Titicaca Your was fabulous! BTW Altitude adjustment is no joke & needs to be taken seriously, especially for Lake Titicaca. One our most memorable trips!
Closed Thread

Tags
piccho, machu, visiting, experience, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.