Are your travel plans changing??

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Are your travel plans changing??

Just curious, with the increase of gas prices, the stock market not appealing at the moment, and the overall economy not looking good, HOW is this all effecting your travel plans be it day trips, exotic , a cruise, or simply visitng family up north via (air or drive)?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Default Re: Are your travel plans changing??

We drive a Mini Cooper with great gas mileage :bigthumbsup: so our driving habits haven't changed much. And as we don't golf, we don't even have a golf cart.
Right now we are in NY for a visit (we flew JetBlue) but we will probably drive in the future, as we prefer the flexibility in scheduling. We both miss The Villages badly right now (it's only been 6 days) and wish we could pack up the car and take off, but our return flight is not until tomorrow
As far as the stock market, we have a minimal amount in equities (stocks). IMHO most retirees shouldn't have too much in the stock market (regardless of what all the gurus say about inflation protection, etc.). Even if fixed income rates are low right now, you can sleep at night, and I don't believe we'll be seeing the 'historic 10% annualized returns on stocks' on any regular basis over the next few decades.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Veteran member

We used to travel up north almost every weekend during the summer to visit family. Now we haven't been up north this year since Memorial weekend. It cost us around $100 in gas to get there and back. We just can't justify that anymore. We will probably go up there one more time this summer.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 AM

The weather here in TV is nice in the a.m. and after dinner at night it is just lovely. We will stay and play all summer. Most of our neighbors are coming back during July/August this year. TV is great all year and no waiting for a restaurant seat June through Sept.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 AM
Sage

$100.00 for gas for a round trip up north? Is that north Ocala?? 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl
I get 23 mpg and it's 1034 miles one way to my home above Phila. I'm going to start flying back rather than driving. It's cheaper. I go back less and less. I love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1
We used to travel up north almost every weekend during the summer to visit family. Now we haven't been up north this year since Memorial weekend. It cost us around $100 in gas to get there and back. We just can't justify that anymore. We will probably go up there one more time this summer.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Veteran member

Up north for us is Traverse City from Metro Detroit. It's about 250 miles one way.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

With the amounts of money that are expected to be spent traveling or on vacation, the differential due to the price of a gallon of gasoline is the least amount to think about and certainly not enough to scrap plans previously made. There are too many other options for cost conserving and in my book....not going is not one.

As far as not doing something because of the stock market.....for most it has no impact....and is only a snap shot in time. So if you don't like it now, just wait....it will get worse then better then worse then better.....so it should have no effect on whether to go.

The state of the economy....it is what it is and your individual affordability is the determining factor....if you are affecting then of course there is a bearing.....if you are part of the masses....it doesn't matter.

Remember all the reporting you see and hear is the minority impact....the masses are still working.....hence no impact.

The chicken littles and followers of the media....by all means do not leave home.

BTK
Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 PM

I just returned from the Saratoga (NY) Jazz Festival and then a visit to the NYC. 3000 miles at 20 miles per gallon = 150 gallons x $4.00 = $600.00 in gas alone. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that this is the reality ... our 'new reality!' The future has 'arrived ......'
Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Platinum member

I just returned from a weekend at Mackinac Island in northern Michigan. I was slightly astounded that there was no really visible slowdown in vacation traffic, either in the air, on the road, on the island! I did stay at The Grand Hotel which is pricier than my usual place, but I was with a variety of family members and have to admit I loved it. But, I was amazed at the number of families there - at somewhere near $600 per room per night! My gut said, "What bad economy?"
SWR
Old 07-13-2008, 04:06 PM

We've been planning a trip across the country, and will still go, but to cut corners we plan on camping in the van, and not doing so much of staying in motels and eating out. I would never give up traveling, just travel in a different style that fit my budget.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 AM
Gold member

Partially for business reasons we are not about to give up travelling.

In the past we have stayed in Hostels, not only in Europe but here in the states. Prices are quite reasonable, places have always been clean and neat. In many ways it is like a B & B, but not as costly. Stayed in one Hostel over looking the Pacific Ocean that had a hot tub. That was very romantic.

We have met people at various Hostels from all over the world and still correspond with them, we have slept in old converted army barracks to a hotel that was one block from Union Square in San Francisco. Hostels are not just for young people, they are for people of all ages.

When we travel abroad we now eat out less and purchase food from the local bakery, butcher, etc. then find a beautiful place to enjoy our meal. Must admit I am enjoying this more.

We just returned from a trip to the North Rim of Grand Canyon and then went to Antelope Canyon. By staying in non-tourist towns the rates for motels were less.

If you haven't logged onto Restaurant.com do so, we purchase many coupons from them and have saved money at restaurants. We wait until they have either the 50% or 60% sale on there coupon offerings.

Internet - we go to the local libraries where we are travelling and log on. Just need to find out what there guide lines are and follow them. We only have paid once using the internet in a library. At the same time we leave our read books and buy new books for very little.

The list can go on. Enjoy where ever you go.

HB
Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Gold member

Married to a travel agent and knowing from her the changes in the field in the last few months, I'd have to say that people are finally starting to get realistic, pulling their heads out of the sand, and dealing with the reality of how the changes in the economy are affecting them--and insofar as this thread is concerned, their travel plans.

Though related to travel only indirectly, for the past several years in our New York State community, I've organized a group heating oil purchase that the oil company now refers to as our 'Mini Oil Cartel.' Just to show what people are contending with, last year I was able to negotiate a price per gallon of $2.50, 30 cents less than the general public; this year it's only 11 cents less and it's $4.65 a gallon--NEARLY DOUBLE! For our home we buy 900 gallons; simple arithmetic tells you that I just wrote a check for $4,185.00 plus the cost of the service contract....

One couple who for years (decades...) have driven a camper van to Florida for several weeks in the winter has already given up on that trip this year. Another couple who regularly fly to California to visit children and grandchildren have now had to take the frequency of these trips out of their travel plans. Remember, this is a small number of households who buy their oil up front and lock in a fixed price; my head spins when I think of countless folks who have already been struggling to keep a roof overhead and food on the table and who have already given up, say, a drive to the Jersey shore for the day and who have no idea what will hit them when they get their first oil delivery bill in, say, October, and then by December they're getting one a month at ever increasing prices as they typically do every winter! Travel? You can be sure that travel plans, already curtailed, will continue to disappear.

We ourselves will continue to travel because my wife calls it 'work'! (I have no complaints....) However, for now we've already dropped Europe from future travel plans on our own (versus a travel agent training opportunity) because of what's happened to the value of the U.S. dollar against the pound and the euro. We can't even say what the immediate future will bring....
Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

swrinfla

As a Michigan resident I can say that Mackinac (pronounced Mac-uh-naw) Island was worth every penny you paid. Isn't it a place back in time?....no cars and horses as transportation (bicycles, too)...what a wonderful place to visit! Bet you bought some fudge! LOL
Old 07-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

One of the best 4th of July memories we have as a family was watching the fireworks from the ferry to Mackinaw Island. One of the ferry lines takes a run specifically to go out to the bridge and watch the fireworks from the water. They take you out before sunset so you can watch the sun go down out by the bridge. Then you can see three sets of fireworks from there: St. Ignace, Mackinaw City and Mackinaw Island. It was really spectacular.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Oh my goodness no. We are still going to be traveling both in and out of country -- mostly in country though. We don't change our minds or plans according to the way the 'winds' are blowing ;D

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.