Veterinarian Price Increases

Old 01-10-2024, 08:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Since I am not a veterinarian, I can't speak for dogs. But I will say that in a human, there is no possible way that the wrong amount of ear drops would result in deafness.
You're wrong....about dogs, ear drops and deafness. Surolan® is used to treat otitis externa (infection and/or inflammation of the ear) in dogs caused by yeast and bacteria. Topical sensitivity and reduced hearing or deafness may occur. Other side effects may also occur.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:55 AM
Smile Interesting - how did this work when you needed records for the dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
This is a little outside the box but we used to vaccinate our dogs ourselves, except for the Rabies vaccine. We still had the vet do annual examines but the other vaccines are easy to administer yourself. Our vet was OK with this.
I have done this with with Kennel Cough vaccine, obtaining them from the local feed store, but it was tough getting the vet to add it to their records.

Just curious... :-)
Old 01-10-2024, 09:02 AM
Default Thanks for responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
Everything costs more today with inflation but my vet prices today for the exact services as last January are up 26% excluding the distemper Parvo vaccine which is up 46% over 3 years ago. The prices have skyrocketed since VCA corporation bought out Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital. Basic 60 second exam now $70 and DAp2p vaccine now $67.75! Prices are now increased 2x yr to minimize the sticker shock.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality vet with more reasonable prices?
Thank you for responding to my post. Your info has helped a great deal and also confirmed my opinion about VCA price gouging!
Old 01-10-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
Everything costs more today with inflation but my vet prices today for the exact services as last January are up 26% excluding the distemper Parvo vaccine which is up 46% over 3 years ago. The prices have skyrocketed since VCA corporation bought out Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital. Basic 60 second exam now $70 and DAp2p vaccine now $67.75! Prices are now increased 2x yr to minimize the sticker shock.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality vet with more reasonable prices?
Corporate greed! Some Vets have done what some dentists have done - they are bought out by a corporation and now work for the corporation. They make money through incentives by the amount of work they perform. Shop around because there are reasonable vets out there. I have never heard anything positive about Buffalo Ridge.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
This is a little outside the box but we used to vaccinate our dogs ourselves, except for the Rabies vaccine. We still had the vet do annual examines but the other vaccines are easy to administer yourself. Our vet was OK with this.
Where do you get the materials?
Old 01-10-2024, 10:00 AM

Another vote for Dr Huff at Leesburg Animal Hospital. They have been very responsive and caring for our little dog.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 01-10-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
You're wrong....about dogs, ear drops and deafness. Surolan® is used to treat otitis externa (infection and/or inflammation of the ear) in dogs caused by yeast and bacteria. Topical sensitivity and reduced hearing or deafness may occur. Other side effects may also occur.
I'm wrong? That's laughable. Like I said, I can't speak for dogs. But the human equivalent of Surolan is Cortisporin, and "the wrong amount" will in no way cause deafness.

And as far as dogs go, it is far more likely the side effects are idiosyncratic and not dose related, but I could be "wrong"

PS: feel free to look up idiosyncratic in the dictionary
Old 01-10-2024, 10:37 AM
Sage

We used to buy vaccines and syringes from Dr. Foster and Smith and a couple of the other on-line pet supply places. The vaccines used be (probably still are) a cocktail in one vial. Rabies is probably best left to a vet. The actual technique is pretty simple. If you haven't done it before there are YouTube videos. Inject in the pulled up skin by the shoulders and draw back to make sure you don't get blood. It probably makes the most sense to do it yourself if you have a couple of dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
Where do you get the materials?
Old 01-10-2024, 10:41 AM
Sage

We used to just tell our vet what vaccines and when and he would mark it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouicestmoi View Post
I have done this with with Kennel Cough vaccine, obtaining them from the local feed store, but it was tough getting the vet to add it to their records.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:43 AM
Sage

We used to do kennel cough when it was a liquid sprayed up the nose. Not sure what it is now. Every time, except the first, was a struggle ;-) Apparently our dogs had an excellent memory. The injected vaccines are a piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouicestmoi View Post

Old 01-10-2024, 11:33 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I have been hearing “horror stories” about vets in the Villages area for the last three or four years from neighbors and some friends. No different than dentists, car dealers, plumbers, landscapers, etc. where there are no “checks and balances” other than word of mouth.

Let’s face reality!! The average income for residents here is well above average and it’s a perfect place to charge residents what ever the market will bear for the services needed for 140,000 paying customers. The only advise worth giving is what has already been said. Shop around and ask others for information on whatever service or purchase you are going to need or make. Otherwise, be prepared to be scammed or ripped off. Seniors Against Crime may be helpful.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:33 AM
Location: Formerly resided in southeast Wisconsin; now in the village of Winifred

Country Oaks Veterinary Clinic, just past Del Webb on 441/27. You must pass it and make a U- turn a short ways past the clinic.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
A second vote for Live Oaks. When we were at Mulberry, the vet wanted over $1,000 to clean our dog's teeth. Live Oaks charged a little over $300. They have great reviews.
Used to clean all our greyhounds teeth with toothbrush and paste daily, and give them a marrow bone to gnaw once or twice a week
Never needed a vet for teeth cleaning.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:04 PM

We recommend Dr. Timothy Porter, as well. Animal Care Center of Wildwood on 301. Been going there for years. He is caring, calm and gentle with our pets. I find the cost reasonable compared to others in TV.
Prior to him, we had used Mulberry on Route 42, until they sent our blind friend's very ill seeing eye dog home with her when they should have hospitalized her dog. When they got home, the dog started seizing and died a horribly traumatic death. No care, no accountability. We lost all trust and switched vets.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 01-10-2024, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs317 View Post
We like Dr. Leah Girard. Takes care of our cat since she opened up.
Home | Veterinarian in Oxford, FL | Oxford Animal Hospital
i've heard nothing but good things about this practice

Tags
prices, vaccine, vet, today, hospital

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.