Veterinarian Price Increases

Old 01-10-2024, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmmfink View Post
Dr Timothy Porter in Wildwood is the best vet I have ever used.
agreed. he's our guy, too. the kind of old fashioned vet who is caring & somewhat affordable. i also use the mobile vet for our older, larger dog
Old 01-11-2024, 02:37 AM

Find a vet that is AAHA accredited
Old 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Default Just look online

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
Where do you get the materials?
Check these guys out Canine Spectra 5 Dog Vaccine Durvet - Single Dose Pet Vaccines | Vaccines | Pet
Old 01-11-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
Corporate greed!
Not really.

Becoming part of a corporation/association.........there are less administrative headaches.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:52 AM
Default Vaccination in dogs/cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
Everything costs more today with inflation but my vet prices today for the exact services as last January are up 26% excluding the distemper Parvo vaccine which is up 46% over 3 years ago. The prices have skyrocketed since VCA corporation bought out Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital. Basic 60 second exam now $70 and DAp2p vaccine now $67.75! Prices are now increased 2x yr to minimize the sticker shock.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality vet with more reasonable prices?
First off, your pet does NOT NEED to be vaccinated every year. There is a test called Titer and it tests the levels of your pet’s immune system as well as the level of the vaccines in their bodies. Most people do not know this as veterinarians make most of their money through pushing vaccinations that are not necessary. When a 8lb dog gets a vaccination it is in a vial that is given to a 140lb dog, therefore your little 8lb dog is getting over vaccinated which leads to cancer amongst other things.

Do your homework and check out Titer Testing and if your vet disagrees, well then it’s time to move on to a vet that really cares for your pet’s well being.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basmit View Post
I left Mulberry Vet for the same reason. I moved to PAWS at Laurel Manor. Dr Johnson is very good.
Don’t get me started on Mulberry Vet. The vets are great, their prices are ridiculous. When I was charged over $60 to have my small dog’s nails clipped it was time to move on. I even called to speak with the office manager with a lame excuse to justify the charge. Shameful. Guess they have to pay for their renovations somehow.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
“There is no such thing as a normal period of history. Normality is a fiction of economic textbooks.”

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978) .
In college we started every economics class with "Ceteris paribus". A Latin phrase means "all other things being equal." In economics, it acts as a shorthand indication of the effect one economic variable has on another, provided all other variables remain the same. Of course, all variable never remain the same. All variables are never even taken into account (municipal pay offs, local police involvement, makeup of local unions).
Old 01-11-2024, 10:10 AM
Default Vet costs

Most difficult to discuss at this time, as we just put down our 9 year old golden just two days ago, But feel my opinion and current costs are very relevant to this discussion,
She had some arthritis in an elbow but otherwise seemed healthy. Was at a vet up north just three months ago for annual check. All was good. The day before we put her dow, she wouldn't eat, wouldn't get up, etc. next day we got an appointment at Paws Animal Hospital. Actually called us back and got us in sooner. Dr Johnson was the Vet. Very nice, caring, and informative. We feared the worse, having been thru this with several other Goldens over the years. Our other golden was with us and she allowed us to bring her in so they could be together. Long story, short was she had a mass on her spleen which ruptured, causing it to bleed. common with Goldens. She could do a red blood cell count to see if surgery was allowable $40. Surgery was approx. $2500, removing the mass and spleen. But only if it had not spread to the liver. A liver scan was $450. Which in past experiences it already had. We decided with a heavy heart and tears raining that she would be best served to letting her go. If, was a very hard decision. Here I am crying again. But, both my wife and I agreed.
Dr Johnson and her staff were excellent, Our Morgan drifted off without pain or discomfort.
So, we did not have all the costs listed above. But, that was not the reason for our decision. Stress, quality of life and age all factored in. Tuff, Tuff day. I'm sure many of you have been thru it.
So, here is our final bill, Level 3 exam - $59. 2 views digital radiographs of abdomen - $159, Euthanasia - $179, Cremation 51-85 lbs. w/ returned ashes. $296. Total $693.00.
I've been thru this before. It's difficult, my wife and I had had previous talks on what we would do, if this occurred again, making a cleared and conscious decision. And, not making a wrong decision while under stressful and upsetting conditions at the Vets.
They were excellent, and I'm comfortable with the Invoice. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytails057@gmail.com View Post
First off, your pet does NOT NEED to be vaccinated every year. There is a test called Titer and it tests the levels of your pet’s immune system as well as the level of the vaccines in their bodies. Most people do not know this as veterinarians make most of their money through pushing vaccinations that are not necessary. When a 8lb dog gets a vaccination it is in a vial that is given to a 140lb dog, therefore your little 8lb dog is getting over vaccinated which leads to cancer amongst other things.

Do your homework and check out Titer Testing and if your vet disagrees, well then it’s time to move on to a vet that really cares for your pet’s well being.
you are correct! animal workers are frequently encouraged to get a rabies vax, esp if rehabbing wildlife. i had mine over 40 years ago, & instead of getting boosters, i get my titer checked. last i knew, about 25 years ago, my titer showed i did not need the booster. i havent been checked since out of the business
Old 01-11-2024, 11:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabacon6669 View Post
Most difficult to discuss at this time, as we just put down our 9 year old golden just two days ago, But feel my opinion and current costs are very relevant to this discussion,
She had some arthritis in an elbow but otherwise seemed healthy. Was at a vet up north just three months ago for annual check. All was good. The day before we put her dow, she wouldn't eat, wouldn't get up, etc. next day we got an appointment at Paws Animal Hospital. Actually called us back and got us in sooner. Dr Johnson was the Vet. Very nice, caring, and informative. We feared the worse, having been thru this with several other Goldens over the years. Our other golden was with us and she allowed us to bring her in so they could be together. Long story, short was she had a mass on her spleen which ruptured, causing it to bleed. common with Goldens. She could do a red blood cell count to see if surgery was allowable $40. Surgery was approx. $2500, removing the mass and spleen. But only if it had not spread to the liver. A liver scan was $450. Which in past experiences it already had. We decided with a heavy heart and tears raining that she would be best served to letting her go. If, was a very hard decision. Here I am crying again. But, both my wife and I agreed.
Dr Johnson and her staff were excellent, Our Morgan drifted off without pain or discomfort.
So, we did not have all the costs listed above. But, that was not the reason for our decision. Stress, quality of life and age all factored in. Tuff, Tuff day. I'm sure many of you have been thru it.
So, here is our final bill, Level 3 exam - $59. 2 views digital radiographs of abdomen - $159, Euthanasia - $179, Cremation 51-85 lbs. w/ returned ashes. $296. Total $693.00.
I've been thru this before. It's difficult, my wife and I had had previous talks on what we would do, if this occurred again, making a cleared and conscious decision. And, not making a wrong decision while under stressful and upsetting conditions at the Vets.
They were excellent, and I'm comfortable with the Invoice. Hope this helps.
am so very sorry to hear. losing a companion is heartbreaking & i wish you all the best. is very, very sad. 😔
Old 01-11-2024, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Used to clean all our greyhounds teeth with toothbrush and paste daily, and give them a marrow bone to gnaw once or twice a week
Never needed a vet for teeth cleaning.
Brush their teeth every day? Leave it there. I dare not even think about what other "personal services" your (obviously well loved) dogs recieved. Makes me wonder how animals survive in the wild without a health care system. Still, their "choppers" generally look pretty good. They aren't actually wearing "doggie dentures", are they?
Old 01-11-2024, 11:49 AM
Sage

Probably about the same as humans; not particularly well. I assume you brush your teeth and go to the dentist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Brush their teeth every day? Leave it there. I dare not even think about what other "personal services" your (obviously well loved) dogs recieved. Makes me wonder how animals survive in the wild without a health care system. Still, their "choppers" generally look pretty good. They aren't actually wearing "doggie dentures", are they?
Old 01-11-2024, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Probably about the same as humans; not particularly well. I assume you brush your teeth and go to the dentist?
Yes! Far more then I like. And don't forget doctors.
Actually, was surprised by daily tooth brushing for dogs. All my dogs were well loved and healthy. They got checked at the first sign of a problem. Regulated diet with bone and Milkbone for cleaning teeth. Shots were up to date. Since dogs didn't get candy, cake, bread, etc, their teeth faired much better than my own. Maybe if they had lived as long as I, used and abused their bodies in the same ways, they would have had some of the same problems. What do you think?
Old 01-11-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage

Brushing dog's teeth is fairly common - we always brushed our dog's teeth and they also had periodic cleanings at the vet. Tartar build up can lead to gum disease which can cascade to other health issues. The same thing can happen with humans. It doesn't happen with all dogs but it is a easily preventable problem if the dog is prone to build up. I have seen dogs with a massive amount of tartar build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Yes! Far more then I like. And don't forget doctors.
Actually, was surprised by daily tooth brushing for dogs. All my dogs were well loved and healthy. They got checked at the first sign of a problem. Regulated diet with bone and Milkbone for cleaning teeth. Shots were up to date. Since dogs didn't get candy, cake, bread, etc, their teeth faired much better than my own. Maybe if they had lived as long as I, used and abused their bodies in the same ways, they would have had some of the same problems. What do you think?
Old 01-11-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
you are correct! animal workers are frequently encouraged to get a rabies vax, esp if rehabbing wildlife. i had mine over 40 years ago, & instead of getting boosters, i get my titer checked. last i knew, about 25 years ago, my titer showed i did not need the booster. i havent been checked since out of the business
I had my last rabies booster in 1993 and as of 2023 I still have solid immunity so as you know they can last a long time.

Unfortunately rabies titers are not permitted to be used instead of vaccinations for dogs and cats so we're stuck with 3 year rabies boosters for adults as the best we can do.

Vaccines for bacterial disease such as leptospirosis and bordetella don't last long...15 months or so for your average dog...so those are annual if you at risk of those diseases. If you're not at risk you probably don't need them.

Titers for distemper and parvo are excellent but people balk at the price. 3 year distemper/parvo booster for $40 or $150 per year for titers, most people say "just give'em the booster doc".

Seems like there is a subset of people on this thread who expect excellent bedside manner, high tech modern medicine with 100% diagnostic accuracy, perfect outcomes every time, and 24/7 availability, all for incredibly cheap prices. We're all old enough to know that it's simply not possible. There are many very good practices locally and regionally and we are blessed with many specialty hospitals in central Florida too.

Joe
Doodlevet.com

Tags
prices, vaccine, vet, today, hospital

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.