Is anyone going to brine their turkey?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran member

I just read that you should only brine a fresh turkey, not a previously frozen one because they frozen ones have a salt solution injected under the skin and they will come out too salty. I purchased my turkey from Trader Joes this year, and it says it is already brined. Can't wait to try it.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Child one arrives with the magazine from American Airlines clutched in her paw and on the back there is a recipe for brining the turkey. (Advertisement for Kikkoman)

Seems you immerse the bird for about eight hours in " two gallons of cold water in a large stock pot or your fridge vegetable drawer along with 1/2 cup kosher salt, 2 tbsp sage, 1 tbsp. thyme, 10 oz soy sauce, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp. dried celery seed."

Then you drain and cook the bird the way you always do. Supposed to make it really delish.

sigh. Open to be convinced...but skeptical.

I'll inject my 2 up tomorrow night with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter to where they're puffed up like Elvis and drop them into 375* of hot peanut oil on Thursday. Deep fried is the way for turkeys for us southern folk.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
I just read that you should only brine a fresh turkey, not a previously frozen one because they frozen ones have a salt solution injected under the skin and they will come out too salty. I purchased my turkey from Trader Joes this year, and it says it is already brined. Can't wait to try it.
We've been brining a Butterball for the last few years and haven't had a salty turkey. Also brined one that wasn't a name brand, and that also turned out well. Could be the brine we use is not overly salty.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Always brine my turkey the salt and equal super always stays the same, but spices change every year. This year southwest. A frozen turkey can be brined but I cut back on the salt. Trader joes brined is good, if you don't want to take the time. I use a cooler with turkey in large pot and very important a temp probe. Tuesday brine 24 hours rinse turkey pat dry and place in fridge uncovered Wednesday. Roast Thursday. Every part of the turkey is moist and perfectly seasoned
Old 11-25-2015, 07:57 AM

We always brine. Here is a link to Alton Brown our main squeeze for such questions. He does a great explanation of both wet and dry brining. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! The Quick and Dirty Guide to Brining Chicken or Turkey | Serious Eats
Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I'll inject my 2 up tomorrow night with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter to where they're puffed up like Elvis and drop them into 375* of hot peanut oil on Thursday. Deep fried is the way for turkeys for us southern folk.
Love fried turkey, but hate the price, mess and having to get rid of the oil. This year we are trying The Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer. Supposed to be the same great taste with the oil!. We'll see - nothing ventured - nothing gained. Gobble Gobble.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post

I brine a frozen turkey. The trick is to make sure it is rinsed extremely well. Never had a problem.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Platinum member

Our first time last year and it was great. This year only a breast. Downsizing.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

I've been brining for many, many years. Now I'm always the one who has to cook the turkey because I'm told nobody makes a turkey as good as mine. It could be a ploy by others so they don't have to cook. I brine with sugar, salt, fresh peppercorns, sage, celery, garlic, bay leaves, good filtered water, and whatever else strikes my fancy at the moment. I have a HUGE stock pot that will fit a 23 pound turkey that I use. I brine it in the extra refrigerator in the garage for about 24 hours. It does make a huge difference in how tasty and moist it is. Even the white meat is juicy. And, I always buy the cheapest turkey I can find, which is always a frozen turkey. For us, we found there was no difference in frozen or fresh.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Smile Yes,

I have been brining for years. I would not use the soy sauce, way too salty.
I use a mixture of salt, brown sugar or apple juice, peppercorns, bay leaves and fresh rosemary. I do not rinse after overnight brine but i do dry it well and always use oil on it. Never fail, moist turkey!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Just took turkey out of its brine bath. Rince, dried, and in fridge uncovered to finish drying. This is the 24 different brine this year. The southwest is very fragrant.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
I've been brining for many, many years. Now I'm always the one who has to cook the turkey because I'm told nobody makes a turkey as good as mine. It could be a ploy by others so they don't have to cook. I brine with sugar, salt, fresh peppercorns, sage, celery, garlic, bay leaves, good filtered water, and whatever else strikes my fancy at the moment. I have a HUGE stock pot that will fit a 23 pound turkey that I use. I brine it in the extra refrigerator in the garage for about 24 hours. It does make a huge difference in how tasty and moist it is. Even the white meat is juicy. And, I always buy the cheapest turkey I can find, which is always a frozen turkey. For us, we found there was no difference in frozen or fresh.
I agree. No more designer $$$ turkeys for us since we started brining.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Well this has been a huge addition to my cooking knowledge and I am so glad I asked. I will do it next year, was gonna do it this year and then someone said Butterball had salt in it and would be too salty. So next year I will brine and NOT use the soy sauce. My hat is off to all you good cooks and hope that all of you enjoy this day and this holiday time whatever it is.

Hugs and best wishes.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well this has been a huge addition to my cooking knowledge and I am so glad I asked. I will do it next year, was gonna do it this year and then someone said Butterball had salt in it and would be too salty. So next year I will brine and NOT use the soy sauce. My hat is off to all you good cooks and hope that all of you enjoy this day and this holiday time whatever it is.

Hugs and best wishes.
Gracie, we brined a butterball last year and it was terrific. Not salty at all. I imagine that theory was some HGTV cooking show or magazine article that needed some filler. This year I am about to take another butterball out of the brine and leave it uncovered in the fridge to roast on Friday. I'll let you know if it's too salty. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:29 PM

We just buy a Butterball, smear a little butter and seasoned salt on it and cook it at 325. Stick a thermometer in it, take it out at 170 and let it rest for 30 minutes or until it rises to 180. We always have a juicy and tasty bird.
Closed Thread

Tags
tbsp, turkey, 1/2, bird, cup, soy, sugar, sauce, drawer, thyme, salt, kosher, dried, sage, sigh, delish, open, skeptical, convinced, make, drain, vegetable, seed, cook, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.