Anyone have recipe for baked Mac and cheese?

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Smile Anyone have recipe for baked Mac and cheese?

I'm talking the real gooey cheesy comfort food type. I have always wanted to make this, and now that I'm retired I have the time to.
thanks for sharing!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Sage

This is really good and you don't have to boil the macaroni separately:

Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cottage cheese (not lowfat) or ricotta
2 cups milk (not skim)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (Deb note: I’m a big fan of Cabot extra-sharp, in the purple wrapper)
1/2 pound elbow macaroni, uncooked.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
2. In a blender, puree cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together.* Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
3. Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM

I always my mac and cheese like my grandmother did, make it w a mix of mild and sharp cheddar, layered with macaroni and topped w light cream and butter, bake it in the oven at least an hour. Always loved and no leftovers so I guess it is pretty good.

I have been meaning to try Trish Yearwood's Mac and Cheese but haven't got to it yet, maybe you could try it and let us know how it turned out.
Here is Trish's recipe:

Cooking spray
8 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
Two 10-ounce bricks sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
Dash of paprika

Directions
In a large 4-quart slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray, mix the macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes. Turn off the slow cooker, stir the mixture and serve hot.

Cook's Note: If you don't have a slow cooker, grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch pan with butter, add the mixture and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Gold member

Oh yummy, I will make both!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Oh yummy, I will make both!
ME too.

I am thinkin' I had the audacity to invite JBlum for lunch and cook for her when she is so much better a cook.

But she is also a very sweet person and didn't complain.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california dreamer View Post
I'm talking the real gooey cheesy comfort food type. I have always wanted to make this, and now that I'm retired I have the time to.
thanks for sharing!
OMG!!! Go to Martha Stewarts web site and search Mac N Cheese. I have had her recipie for 10 years now and make it for many occasions. It is amazing. Everyone that tastes it wants the recipie. You'll love it.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

as long as you and anyone you are serving this to does not have a cholesterol problem, any paula deen mac and cheese recipe is the best in my book! just do a search for 'paula deen macaroni and cheese' and you can find several. tjis is one i now use for holidays and special occasions:
The Ultimate Lady’s Cheesy Mac and Cheese Recipe — Pauladeen.com

2 cup dried elbow macaroni (4 cups cooked)
1/3 cup grated Cheddar
1/3 cup grated Swiss
1/3 cup grated Jack
1/3 cup grated Colby
1/3 cup grated Muenster
1/3 cup grated Gouda
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
6 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
Nonstick spray

In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Season water with salt and cook macaroni until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, add all cheeses. In a separate medium bowl, using a whisk, combine the sour cream, butter, eggs, salt, pepper and milk and add to the macaroni mixture. Spray casserole dish with nonstick spray and pour macaroni mixture into the dish. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Top with additional cheese, if desired.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Gold member

[quote=jblum315;627456]This is really good and you don't have to boil the macaroni separately:

Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cottage cheese (not lowfat) or ricotta
2 cups milk (not skim)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (Deb note: I’m a big fan of Cabot extra-sharp, in the purple wrapper)
1/2 pound elbow macaroni, uncooked.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
2. In a blender, puree cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together.* Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
3. Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.[/quote

Last edited by villagerjack; 02-17-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 PM

Google Martha Stuart's Mac and cheese recipe. It's awesome!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Sage

Make Mac and Cheese in a pot the way you like it, then pour it into a caserole dish and put a layer of buttery bread crumbs on top and bake for about 30 minutes at 375. That way the mac and cheese stays moist with a crunch on top. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have made several different mac and cheese recipes and agree with above about Paula Deen's recipe. She has one where you slice fresh tomatoes and place on the top before baking that is just outstanding. Here is a link to that recipe.

Tomato Mac and Cheese Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by california dreamer View Post
thanks for sharing!
Call your Cardiologist and make an appointment before you eat this ........

Martha Stewart’s Creamy Mac-and-Cheese

Now, please be warned, this makes a ton-a mac-and-cheese.
Serves 12
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for casserole
6 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to l/2-inch pieces
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for water
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyère or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour the melted butter into the bowl with the bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside.
2. Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
3. While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time to keep mixture smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, 8 to 12 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyère (or 1 cup Pecorino Romano); set the cheese sauce aside.
5. Cover a large pot of salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook the macaroni until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir the macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyère (or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano), and the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes (though we needed a bit more time to get it brown, but your oven may vary). Transfer the dish to a wire rack for 5 minutes; serve.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Eternal Member

I just got this link for a lot of Mac & Cheese recipes on my FaceBook yesterday.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-a...html?soc=fnmfb
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Here is the recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crummybuttons View Post
OMG!!! Go to Martha Stewarts web site and search Mac N Cheese. I have had her recipie for 10 years now and make it for many occasions. It is amazing. Everyone that tastes it wants the recipie. You'll love it.
Perfect Macaroni and Cheese How-To

You can easily divide this recipe in half; use a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish if you do.

Serves 12
6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyere or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated pecorino Romano
1 pound elbow macaroni

1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.

2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup pecorino Romano. Set cheese sauce aside.

4. Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 fewer minutes than manufacturer's directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.

5. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano; scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve.

We're Also Reading
Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Smile

Thanks everyone! sounds like the kind of cheese you use will make the difference. now which recipe to try first.......
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.