Anyone from Iowa who has the authentic recipe for Maid Rites or Loose Meat Sandwiches

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Sage
Default Anyone from Iowa who has the authentic recipe for Maid Rites or Loose Meat Sandwiches

Anyone from Iowa (or the midwest in general) have an authentic recipe for the Maid Rites or Loose Meat Sandwiches?

On the "web" some say the secret ingredient is coca cola; while others say it is beer (for the liquid part). Yet others who worked there say it is plain water.

These are not sloppy joes as no tomato product is used....not even ketchup.....just yellow mustard and pickle relish or sliced pickle as topping....and of course, diced raw onions.

They are very simple and deceivingly tasty. We've had them while traveling through Iowa. THANKS IN ADVANCE......

Top Secret Recipes | Maid-Rite Loose Meat Sandwich Recipe

Be patient while this site loads. I read all of the 48 reviews (scroll down after clicking on above hyperlink)....but all have slightly different memories. I thought the secret ingredient was beer....and not coca cola.

The only other meat I recall cooking in beer as a liquid were the hot dogs at "LUM'S" on the east coast of Florida.....if that is the correct name.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Anyone from Iowa (or the midwest in general) have an authentic recipe for the Maid Rites or Loose Meat Sandwiches?

On the "web" some say the secret ingredient is coca cola; while others say it is beer (for the liquid part). Yet others who worked there say it is plain water.

These are not sloppy joes as no tomato product is used....not even ketchup.....just yellow mustard and pickle relish or sliced pickle as topping....and of course, diced raw onions.

They are very simple and deceivingly tasty. We've had them while traveling through Iowa. THANKS IN ADVANCE......

Top Secret Recipes | Maid-Rite Loose Meat Sandwich Recipe

Be patient while this site loads. I read all of the 48 reviews (scroll down after clicking on above hyperlink)....but all have slightly different memories. I thought the secret ingredient was beer....and not coca cola.

The only other meat I recall cooking in beer as a liquid were the hot dogs at "LUM'S" on the east coast of Florida.....if that is the correct name.
After rummaging through drawers and various recipe folders, I finally found the recipe I was looking for,or at least a good facsimile "saved" on my computer in documents.........it may not be the authentic one I was looking for......but it's how I made it last year..........going up to make some now...........

IOWA "MAID RITES" LOOSE MEAT SANDWICHES..........
2 pounds LEAN GROUND BEEF
1 tsp. salt * 1 tsp. black pepper * 2 tsp. sugar
1 t. garlic powder or Mrs. Dash garlic herb seasoning
One VERY LARGE VIDALIA ONION, diced into fine pcs.
12 fluid oz. COORS LITE BEER..........one bottle
(Some folks use coca cola; others beef broth or water)...if you are using coca cola, eliminate the sugar.
TOPPINGS:
1 diced "Raw" Vidalia Onion
Round Pickle Slices or GREEN PICKLE RELISH
MUSTARD (no ketchup)
8 Hamburger buns...........or rolls
In large skillet over medium heat, saute diced onions in a bit of olive oil until brown and carmelized........remove to bowl.....will add back later.
Add ground beef to skillet, breaking up into fine mixture; cook until brown. Return carmelized onions to beef and stir.
Add salt, pepper, garlic, etc. , sugar plus liquid of choice and cover.
I used the one bottle of Coors Lite Beer.
Reduce heat to LOW and SIMMER 30 minutes; keeps well on low burner.
Serve meat on buns; top meat with dill pickles or pickle relish, raw onions, mustard..........
It's not a hamburger, nor a sloppy joe.......no tomatoes or cheese.
It's strange but good. The guys of all ages love it. Can be made in volume in crockpot slow cooker............
I'm going upstairs to prep some now......for lunch....
p.s.
However, I'm still searching for the ORIGINAL way of making these , if anyone from Iowa has the true blue recipe. THANKS.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Default Oh how I missed them!

I loved those sandwiches growing up near Trenton, MO. When I married my husband from Marceline, MO. he showed me a place in Brookfield, MO. I insist on stopping there to eat when we are in that area! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

From Liberty, MO
Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Sage
Default Maid Rite Restaurant in Dubuque, IA

I don't have a recipe for maid-rites, but I know where the Maid-Rite restaurant is in Dubuque, Iowa. It's on John F. Kennedy Road, about 1 mile from Kennedy Mall.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default Never heard of these sandwiches before.

Great American Bites: Iowa's iconic 'loose meat' sandwich - USATODAY.com
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.