Calling All Cooks... What Have You Made?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2020, 03:31 PM

I will have to say that this virus hasn't slowed me down much. I retired on Feb 1st and have lost 7 pounds without trying. In the meantime I have tried several recipes. Braised short ribs, smoked baby backs and Cajun fried hybrid bass I caught. I regularly make
Spaghetti Bolognese, Ahi Tuna, Pot Roast and whatever else I want to experiment on. Don't get me wrong, my wife has her specialties as well. Suffice to say we both like to cook. To me, its an expression of love. Nothing like hearing, "hmmm, damn that's good". When you don't hear that then its, "here honey, have another glass of wine". LOL.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:22 PM

I signed up for an online cooking course with Chef Todd Mohr. He teaches cooking methods vs recipes. I have made many delicious meals WITHOUT recipes. Google Web Cooking Classes and see if this works for you.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I have had it up to here with planning meals each night, so today I made a scone ring and we had the scones with butter and strawberry jam. Was great and a really nice change from cooking.

Tomorrow, back to cooking ............. pork chops, mash and corn.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-28-2020, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This mess is requiring me to use some skills I learned long ago; how to stretch meat, how to make things that I had been using a mix for or were purchased ready to heat. I think of all of the yummy casseroles that had little meat or protein and all of the stretcher desserts like rice pudding and plain old custard pudding that our mothers and grandmothers made for us.

I wonder if this is changing habits in kitchens of young people during this time. Cooking from scratch really does save you money. Staying home requires one car. It may be quickly forgotten, but maybe something will stick.

Tomorrow I am baking Henry a yellow Birthday cake from scratch. I hope the shortening has not outlived it's stay in the pantry. I will make buttercream frosting with a tablespoon of rum if we have any, if not thank heavens for the big bottle of vanilla. We will have something with fried potatoes and onions. He loves them, Helene isn't wild about them but it is his birthday tomorrow. Our anniversary and his birthday are one day apart.

I am somewhat concerned about hearing of breakdown in food supply. I think of it as a real danger of this pandemic. I stocked up on rice and pasta at the beginning while others were concerned about bathroom tissue. Who knows what will be the next challenge, and who will blame what for it. Or who? We will all do what we've always done, the best we can.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This mess is requiring me to use some skills I learned long ago; how to stretch meat, how to make things that I had been using a mix for or were purchased ready to heat. I think of all of the yummy casseroles that had little meat or protein and all of the stretcher desserts like rice pudding and plain old custard pudding that our mothers and grandmothers made for us.

I wonder if this is changing habits in kitchens of young people during this time. Cooking from scratch really does save you money. Staying home requires one car. It may be quickly forgotten, but maybe something will stick.

Tomorrow I am baking Henry a yellow Birthday cake from scratch. I hope the shortening has not outlived it's stay in the pantry. I will make buttercream frosting with a tablespoon of rum if we have any, if not thank heavens for the big bottle of vanilla. We will have something with fried potatoes and onions. He loves them, Helene isn't wild about them but it is his birthday tomorrow. Our anniversary and his birthday are one day apart.

I am somewhat concerned about hearing of breakdown in food supply. I think of it as a real danger of this pandemic. I stocked up on rice and pasta at the beginning while others were concerned about bathroom tissue. Who knows what will be the next challenge, and who will blame what for it. Or who? We will all do what we've always done, the best we can.
And maybe y/our meat-stretching skills will come in handy if there is a meat shortage.

If you have time, tell us some of those dishes you used to cook that stretch meat. Just names would be fine, we can always google for recipes.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:46 PM

This is the best thread ever!!
Old 04-28-2020, 10:40 PM

Very Funny!
Old 04-29-2020, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

My latest.

1) Hormel Beef Tips w/Gravy

2) Publix Mash Potatoes

3) Publix Frozen Mixed Veggies

Total time start to finish on the table ready to enjoy, ( 27 ) minutes which includes pouring ( 2 ) glasses of wine. Fantastic

Bon Appetit !
Old 04-29-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
My latest.

1) Hormel Beef Tips w/Gravy

2) Publix Mash Potatoes

3) Publix Frozen Mixed Veggies

Total time start to finish on the table ready to enjoy, ( 27 ) minutes which includes pouring ( 2 ) glasses of wine. Fantastic

Bon Appetit !
Which reminds me... I saw single serve packages of mashed potatoes, 2 servings to a pack. I think the brand is Simply Potatoes, in either Winn-Dixie or Publix. I haven't tried them but my husband says they're really good.

When we got the larger package, it never gets used up before going stale.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Which reminds me... I saw single serve packages of mashed potatoes, 2 servings to a pack. I think the brand is Simply Potatoes, in either Winn-Dixie or Publix. I haven't tried them but my husband says they're really good.

When we got the larger package, it never gets used up before going stale.
Simply Potatoes yes just got a package from " Winn Dixie ".

Also picked up a Rotisserie Chicken.

Thank You for the tip.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

This I didn't have to make, which makes it nice. I like BBQ shredded pork sandwiches, and my favorites is Boogaloo BBQ. It's the trailer that shows up at the square at Cruise-ins and other events. I thought I would try Jack Daniels pulled pork. Bought it at Walmart for about $7.98 and I didn't really like it and threw out half of the container.

Not very good!

The Villages Florida

I was Publix a couple of days ago and saw Lloyds BBQ for $6.69, so I bought it and we had it when we got home. Just micro-wave the whole container or take out what you need.

Lloyd's was great, tasted just like Boogaloo BBQ, I couldn't tell the difference. I went online to Walmart and saw they have it for only $4.27. I went to Colony Walmart yesterday and they about 10 in stock, so I grabbed two. On a hamburger bun, it is delicious.

GREAT! GREAT TASTING BBQ!!!!!

The Villages Florida
Old 04-29-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

The weather, tomorrow, is going to be nasty and I am going to Sam's to see what they have. I like some of their soups, particularly like the shrimp and corn chowder and sometimes they have the Panera tomato soup that I love. I might pick up a chicken, who knows ................... have to wait and see how the spirit moves me tomorrow.

I could live on scrambled eggs, however the guy who lives with me likes to eat.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-29-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Today it is a yellow cake with buttercream icing. The amazing man who lives at our house has a birthday, the day after our anniversary.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0252.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	83893  
Old 04-29-2020, 11:49 AM

Been getting Hello Fresh and cooking it. Don't have to go to the store, don't have to worry about ingredients missing on the shelves and they deliver right to your door. Only way to go as far as we are concerned, at least for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am making something today that takes about four hours start to finish. It's on the stove now, just below a simmer, for three hours. It's from Bon Appetite--BA's Best Bolognese. I've been looking at it for over a year, watched the video of Andy Barghani making it--not difficult but I never took the time. I watched the video again twice before starting. We shall see. If I like it, next time I will make it with Beyond Meat. Or maybe we'll be let out of our cages onto the pickleball court, and I'll never make it again.

What have you made while stuck inside (my golf buddies flew the coop back to Canada). Something new? Something you made up (looking at you, Tomwed!)? Something you've made before but didn't have the time till now...?

I'd enjoy hearing about it.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
This I didn't have to make, which makes it nice. I like BBQ shredded pork sandwiches, and my favorites is Boogaloo BBQ. It's the trailer that shows up at the square at Cruise-ins and other events. I thought I would try Jack Daniels pulled pork. Bought it at Walmart for about $7.98 and I didn't really like it and threw out half of the container.

Not very good!

The Villages Florida

I was Publix a couple of days ago and saw Lloyds BBQ for $6.69, so I bought it and we had it when we got home. Just micro-wave the whole container or take out what you need.

Lloyd's was great, tasted just like Boogaloo BBQ, I couldn't tell the difference. I went online to Walmart and saw they have it for only $4.27. I went to Colony Walmart yesterday and they about 10 in stock, so I grabbed two. On a hamburger bun, it is delicious.

GREAT! GREAT TASTING BBQ!!!!!

The Villages Florida
Great idea with Lloyds, that might top my record of ( 27 ) minutes from start to on the table. I may switch from wine to beer.

I already have the buns. Need to get Corn on the Cob.

So my Friday menu is all set. Thanks.

Saturday, Legacy for Lamb Shank ( Delivered ) Free + BOGO

Sunday, Carrabba's ( Delivered ) Free

After that back to the Microwave.

Hey it's fun making these decisions. Eeeenee, Meeenee, Mineee ,,,,,,, Mo
Closed Thread

Tags
made, time, watched, video, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.