Cauliflower with cheese sauce.

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Cauliflower with cheese sauce.

I rarely measure with this dish so I am linking a recipe. I don't use Thyme and many times I just use milk, flour, butter,Velveeta, tbsp. of parmesan and pepper it well for the sauce and I like the cauliflower NOT crisp and NOT mushy.

Here is the recipe. Cheese Sauce Over Cauliflower Recipe | Taste of Home

People rave about expensive steak, but lovely fresh vegetables and fruits occupying the other side of the plate can be so yummy. I love fresh cauliflower with cheese sauce with a lovely meat loaf and a tossed salad with a dressing that has a hint of sweetness.

Gracie from Ohio with excellent taste buds.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

We like roasted cauliflower seasoned with salt, red peppers flakes, chopped garlic, olive oil. Recipe got online.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Default Roasted everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
We like roasted cauliflower seasoned with salt, red peppers flakes, chopped garlic, olive oil. Recipe got online.
We love roasted asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, summer squash, zucchini, and carrots. Just toss a bit of olive oil or coconut oil with coarse salt and pepper in a zip bag and then spread on a cookie sheet at 425 until just fork tender (depends on what veggie you're doing) 10-25min.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I do not like vegetables but the bigger the steak the better!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opmoochler View Post
We love roasted asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, summer squash, zucchini, and carrots. Just toss a bit of olive oil or coconut oil with coarse salt and pepper in a zip bag and then spread on a cookie sheet at 425 until just fork tender (depends on what veggie you're doing) 10-25min.
I like this. We do asparagus & green beans (not together) in a very little olive oil, and put it on non-stick aluminum foil on a sheet pan. Garlic salt & pepper.

For the green beans, I put some minced garlic, salt, pepper, shaved onion, & afterwards top with toasted pine nuts.

I do not like oven-roasted vegetables that are brought to the "browned" stage. Food bloggers call this nutty and good; I call it burnt. But roasting just to the tender stage is our favorite.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Sage
Default Veggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I like this. We do asparagus & green beans (not together) in a very little olive oil, and put it on non-stick aluminum foil on a sheet pan. Garlic salt & pepper.

For the green beans, I put some minced garlic, salt, pepper, shaved onion, & afterwards top with toasted pine nuts.

I do not like oven-roasted vegetables that are brought to the "browned" stage. Food bloggers call this nutty and good; I call it burnt. But roasting just to the tender stage is our favorite.
I agree I don’t like them where they turn bitter. My favorite is roasted carrots with Vidalia onion chunks. I also toss mine in olive oil, kosher salt and a small amount of pork butt rub.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I agree I don’t like them where they turn bitter. My favorite is roasted carrots with Vidalia onion chunks. I also toss mine in olive oil, kosher salt and a small amount of pork butt rub.
I like carrots boiled until tender than baked slowly with butter, honey and a little brown sugar.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:45 AM
Sage

Hey Gracie, try that cheese sauce with equal parts velveeta and Cabots Seriously Sharp cheddar.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Hey Gracie, try that cheese sauce with equal parts velveeta and Cabots Seriously Sharp cheddar.
I think Cabots makes the best "grocery store" cheddar now. It used to be Cracker Barrel was the best, but their cheese is now shiny and lacks the crisp consistency of a good cheddar. I don't know what they did to it, but we noticed it a few years ago and stopped purchasing it.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
I think Cabots makes the best "grocery store" cheddar now. It used to be Cracker Barrel was the best, but their cheese is now shiny and lacks the crisp consistency of a good cheddar. I don't know what they did to it, but we noticed it a few years ago and stopped purchasing it.
Cabots. Writing it down. This Forum is a great place to learn new stuff.

Thank you guys.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Cabots. Writing it down. This Forum is a great place to learn new stuff.

Thank you guys.
Splurge on the pricier one that they have. No gumminess at all and a great tasting cheddar. I just wish they made it in the same square shape as Cracker Barrel, which fits perfectly on a Triscuit!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I agree with you regarding what you call "grocery store" cheddar, and the sharper, the better.

However, the thought of Velveeta in a recipe makes me gag.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We slice whole cauliflower in 1” slices. Spray with olive oil (have sprayer that dispenses 1/4 teaspoon easier than brushing) and throw on the grill.

By grilling the steak size cauliflower you get the tenderness you desire, crisp edges, smoky flavor and for those meatless mondays you still can use a knife.

Put it on top of homemade pasta and it’s a great meal. You can do this with broccoli, but does not stay intact as cauliflower.

We rarely use processed food, so cheese sauce is out for us.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 AM
Sage

Velveeta.

Velveeta has been a part of American diets since 1928. Known for it's meltability, my family has used it as long as I can remember.

I am very much against food snobbery. This was probably because I was born right after the depression and was a little girl during the second world war when food was rationed.

I also was expected to eat what was put in front of me and like most girl teens of that era I was given cooking and sewing classes in school. My sewing skills aren't too hot, but I am a halfway decent cook and I still use Velveeta.

Velveeta Cheese Nutritional Facts | LIVESTRONG.COM

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-17-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Velveeta.

Velveeta has been a part of American diets since 1928. Known for it's meltability, my family has used it as long as I can remember.

I am very much against food snobbery. This was probably because I was born right after the depression and was a little girl during the second world war when food was rationed.

I also was expected to eat what was put in front of me and like most girl teens of that era I was given cooking and sewing classes in school. My sewing skills aren't too hot, but I am a halfway decent cook and I still use Velveeta.

Velveeta Cheese Nutritional Facts | LIVESTRONG.COM
For us it’s not food snobbery, it’s how you were raised. My grands and greatgrands raised chickens, pig, beef and dairy. Fruit trees, and a acre just for vegetables. We never used sugar, since our hives provided all we need and sold the rest. I never went to a grocery until I moved out on my own, in the 70s. To this day I can’t drink milk unless it’s raw, processed milk just tastes awful.
We still have our meat raised, grow own veggies. Processed food was never on our table, and I don’t know any other way. Our cheese, butter, yogurt made in our kitchen. It’s a lifestyle.

Tags
sauce, cauliflower, fresh, lovely, cheese

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.