Corn on the cob

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Platinum member
Default Thank You & Freezing Corn

I just wanted to send a huge THANK YOU to PapaLarry, DickY & SkyGuy. I cooked my sweet corn in the microwave according to your instructions, and it came out perfectly! There wasn't one single silk on the corn & it tasted great! Thank you!

As a Thank You, here's a tip for freezing corn on the cob:
Years ago, when we lived out in the country and had a very large garden, I was blanching cobs of corn for the freezer according to the Ball Blue Book instructions. I had shucked 100 ears...I had all the ears separated according to diameter... I had the ice bath ready... I had the pot of water boiling on the hottest day of the year...

Harry the Farmer stopped by and asked me why on earth I was going to all that trouble. He thought I was nuts! Harry said the best way to freeze corn on the cob was to just put it in a paper bag, like the kind you get at the grocery store. (It couldn't possibly work. It would taste terrible. The Blue Book said I HAD to blanch the corn or it would rot or become poisonous or something). I tried it with a few unhusked ears, and let me tell you we were delighted with the corn in February! It tasted just-picked!

Here's how you do it: Keep the corn in the husks, lay out about 6 ears so the bag stays flat, fold over and seal the top of the bag (I use staples) and that's it! Just layer the flat bags of corn in the freezer and you're done.

I couldn't believe it could be that easy, but it works. You can have corn on the cob in February that tastes as good as the corn in July. You have to let it thaw before you cook it, but it's deelicious! It's MUCH better than the frozen corn on the cob you buy at the grocery store. Once I tried Harry's way I was hooked. I have done our corn this way for about 25 years, and it always comes out great. Give it a try. You'll be surprised at how good it tastes.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylake1 View Post
Ditto to the quality of corn here in TV. Ohio may have some good corn but my money is on New Jersey corn. Melt in your mouth delicious!! I have nuked corn this way for years and it is the best method for those of us who don't want to boil. Quick and EASY.
Ditto
The only difference is we wash the corn and wrap in wax paper with some butter comes out great MW for 4 min and turn for 4 more
no muss no fuss
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
I just wanted to send a huge THANK YOU to PapaLarry, DickY & SkyGuy. I cooked my sweet corn in the microwave according to your instructions, and it came out perfectly! There wasn't one single silk on the corn & it tasted great! Thank you!

As a Thank You, here's a tip for freezing corn on the cob:
Years ago, when we lived out in the country and had a very large garden, I was blanching cobs of corn for the freezer according to the Ball Blue Book instructions. I had shucked 100 ears...I had all the ears separated according to diameter... I had the ice bath ready... I had the pot of water boiling on the hottest day of the year...

Harry the Farmer stopped by and asked me why on earth I was going to all that trouble. He thought I was nuts! Harry said the best way to freeze corn on the cob was to just put it in a paper bag, like the kind you get at the grocery store. (It couldn't possibly work. It would taste terrible. The Blue Book said I HAD to blanch the corn or it would rot or become poisonous or something). I tried it with a few unhusked ears, and let me tell you we were delighted with the corn in February! It tasted just-picked!

Here's how you do it: Keep the corn in the husks, lay out about 6 ears so the bag stays flat, fold over and seal the top of the bag (I use staples) and that's it! Just layer the flat bags of corn in the freezer and you're done.

I couldn't believe it could be that easy, but it works. You can have corn on the cob in February that tastes as good as the corn in July. You have to let it thaw before you cook it, but it's deelicious! It's MUCH better than the frozen corn on the cob you buy at the grocery store. Once I tried Harry's way I was hooked. I have done our corn this way for about 25 years, and it always comes out great. Give it a try. You'll be surprised at how good it tastes.
Thank you, I'm going to try freezing corn. It tastes so good when it's nuked and now we can enjoy corn all year long!!!!

Last edited by pooh; 07-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Thank you, I'm going to try freezing corn. It tastes so cook when it's nuked and now we can enjoy corn all year long!!!!
Pooh, try it and let me know this winter how it worked for you!
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Pooh, try it and let me know this winter how it worked for you!
LOL...if I can just make myself set some aside to freeze. Dam stuff tastes amazing!!! I'll try...
Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Southern Minnesota

"Golden Jubilee" corn You've eaten it in Birds Eye General Foods.

That is just a few miles away from the Valley of the "Green Giant" (ho ho ho).

Shhhhhh it will be our little secret.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
LOL...if I can just make myself set some aside to freeze. Dam stuff tastes amazing!!! I'll try...
Back in Utah the grocery store had one week each summer when corn was 10 ears for a dollar -- 10 cents an ear! I always watched for the sale and bought 100 ears. We'd line up the kitchen counter with paper bags* and the kids would have fun counting out 6 ears per bag, marking the date, folding the tops & I'd come along with the stapler. It was a regular production line, but it only took an hour, tops, to put up 100 ears for winter. Watch for the sale. Last year Publix had one day when the corn was 12 ears for a dollar! Too bad I don't have a big freezer here.

* The bags have to be the heavy paper ones from the grocery store, not the flimsy sandwich bags.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is a LOT of cooking. I was taught as a kid to put in cold water and bring to a boil and remove immediately. It shouldn't have been picked more than 24 hours ago either.

I don't think there is really good sweet corn here...or at least we haven't found it. I am missing Ohio corn.
We have another "foolproof" method. We bring water to a boil, put the corn in. When the water comes back to a boil then take it off the heat. Perfect every time! And, being that we're from Toledo I agree that Ohio corn is so sweet it's like eating sugar!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have done it the mircowave way, but slightly different. I soak it in water in the husk for about 45 minutes, cut the stub end first and then right into the Microwave. By soaking it first, it steams it in the husk so takes only about 2 minutes for each ear. And NH corn is the best.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I have done it the mircowave way, but slightly different. I soak it in water in the husk for about 45 minutes, cut the stub end first and then right into the Microwave. By soaking it first, it steams it in the husk so takes only about 2 minutes for each ear. And NH corn is the best.
I2ridehd, When you do it this way, does the corn slide right out, no husk or silks?

I have had limited success with the microwave-for-4 to 7-minutes, then cut the end off. It only worked once, the first time, at 4 minutes. Since then, I've had to peel the husk off. The silks come right off, but it's not working like the video said it would. Plus 7 minutes is way too long to nuke an ear of corn.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
We do it almost the same. We cut the tassle off, trim the stubby end and just roll them into the micro. About 4-5 min for 2 ears, turning them once. The turntable function does not move the upside to down, so we do that turn. There is enough steam from the green husks, and they are cooking in their own juice. The husk and silks slide right off. BE CAREFUL, they are hot as ...... uhm, really hot.
Don & Kaz
Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
That is a LOT of cooking. I was taught as a kid to put in cold water and bring to a boil and remove immediately. It shouldn't have been picked more than 24 hours ago either.

I don't think there is really good sweet corn here...or at least we haven't found it. I am missing Ohio corn.
Exactly the way I do it and it comes out perfect every time. But add a spoonful of sugar to the cold water.
Bob
Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Stop you guys are making me drool wink

Chris
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:

The Micowave method works fine and easily removes all hair for the cobbs. Can buy some locally grown corn that is pretty good if eaten promptly after being picked. The cold water boiled method is no longer necessary and it doesn't allow simple hair removal.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapeman1 View Post
The Micowave method works fine and easily removes all hair for the cobbs. Can buy some locally grown corn that is pretty good if eaten promptly after being picked. The cold water boiled method is no longer necessary and it doesn't allow simple hair removal.
Simple hair removal!!! My imagination is taking off on that one, and it's all corny.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.