Corn on the cob

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Gold member
Talking Corn on the cob

Got this email a while ago, on how to put corn on the cob in microwave, and then cut stub, and it pulls right out. It worked real good. Put full cob (with husk) into microwave, for 7 minutes. Then cut stub (not tip) and pull out. Comes out with NO hairy stuff, and ready to eat. Of course, you need mittens to hold. You can experiment with the minutes, according to strength of microwave. Try it sometime, you will like. No more husking!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Got this email a while ago, on how to put corn on the cob in microwave, and then cut stub, and it pulls right out. It worked real good. Put full cob (with husk) into microwave, for 7 minutes. Then cut stub (not tip) and pull out. Comes out with NO hairy stuff, and ready to eat. Of course, you need mittens to hold. You can experiment with the minutes, according to strength of microwave. Try it sometime, you will like. No more husking!!!
That is a LOT of cooking. I was taught as a kid to put in cold water and bring to a boil and remove immediately. It shouldn't have been picked more than 24 hours ago either.

I don't think there is really good sweet corn here...or at least we haven't found it. I am missing Ohio corn.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is a LOT of cooking. I was taught as a kid to put in cold water and bring to a boil and remove immediately. It shouldn't have been picked more than 24 hours ago either.

I don't think there is really good sweet corn here...or at least we haven't found it. I am missing Ohio corn.
As a fellow Ohioan I couldn't agree more. There is NO corn like ours. Stop at a roadside stand, pick up just enough ears for dinner, cook em up and you're in corn heaven!

IMHO the best way to cook corn is to drop shelled corn into boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Don't overcook!

Just bought corn at the supermarket out of desperation. It was awful. I honestly don't know what we'll do about the corn situation when we move to TV. Sigh! Graciegirl, maybe we need to start a support group!

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Default Microwave Corn

Quote:
I've used this recipe and it's true - the hairs, husk and everything pulls right off. And it taste delicisous, even the not so good corn here in TV. It is extremely hot so make sure you have mittens.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 AM

Ditto to the quality of corn here in TV. Ohio may have some good corn but my money is on New Jersey corn. Melt in your mouth delicious!! I have nuked corn this way for years and it is the best method for those of us who don't want to boil. Quick and EASY.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM

Have to say that Nebraska corn is the very bestest!!! After all, it is the "Cornhusker" state!!

Gracie, I'm sorry, that was just too easy!! I am really sorry!!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio

Quote:

Gracie, Our Ohio sweet corn grown in our Ohio garden should be ready in a couple weeks. Come on up and we will give you some!!!! I'm sure it will be yummy!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Gold member

zellwood corn is pretty good if not the best!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Here's the link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBF6bv4Oe4]Shucking Corn--Clean Ears Everytime - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
As a fellow Ohioan I couldn't agree more. There is NO corn like ours. Stop at a roadside stand, pick up just enough ears for dinner, cook em up and you're in corn heaven!
Is there really a state that has the best corn? I could say Upstate NY has the best; others could say OH, NJ, FL, MN, KS, NE, etc., but the real truth is... the state that have the cows that make the best manure, make the best tasting corn!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Is there really a state that has the best corn? I could say Upstate NY has the best; others could say OH, NJ, FL, MN, KS, NE, etc., but the real truth is... the state that have the cows that make the best manure, make the best tasting corn!
I agree. EXCEPT two KEY states were omitted from the good corn list. Iowa and Illinois!!! Kinda like the best pizza and ribs discussion. Good corn can be found in a lot of states, thankfully....
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
I agree. EXCEPT two KEY states were omitted from the good corn list. Iowa and Illinois!!! Kinda like the best pizza and ribs discussion. Good corn can be found in a lot of states, thankfully....
Sorry, it was just a sampling of states and not a list of the states that have good corn. I'm sure there are a lot more that could also be added to the list, but if I were listing states that could possible have the best corn, I'd had better list all 50 states or duck!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Sorry, it was just a sampling of states and not a list of the states that have good corn. I'm sure there are a lot more that could also be added to the list, but if I were listing states that could possible have the best corn, I'd had better list all 50 states or duck!
No problem. Now I'm hungry for some good COTB......
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:

Gracie, we found a place where you pick your own vegetables. It was near Wildwood off of 301. Now, that was some lip-smacking corn. We've bought fresh corn at the Markets at Marion too. I think this season of corn is done. We have to wait on the next batch.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I'm not known for my good cooking...
PaPaLarry, what do you mean by "Cut the stub (not tip) and pull out"? If I cut off the stub then how do I pull it out? I can't picture this in my mind. Do I pull it out from the end I just cut off? I'd really like to try cooking corn this way, but I'm afraid I need diagrams. Can you explain it so even I can understand it?
Judy the Dense
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.