Does everybody like white kitchen cabinets?

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Veteran member

I just LOVE my white cabinets. Leaving my cherry cabinets up north and going light and bright in my new big kitchen. Can't wait to decorate in light and bright and leave all the dark, dark antique furniture behind. Don't want any of the antiques and dark woods either. They might be pretty, but some museum can have them as far as I'm concerned. New house and new bright everything. To each his own. That's why they have so many styles and choices.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	PC011875.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	22083  
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Am I the only one left who still like real wood finished cabinets? I just like the hominess of looking at real wood. The new white cabinets just don't appeal to me.
Nope I hate the white. Ichose Cherry and have been very happy.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Sage
Default Love our white cabinets

We love our white kitchen and feel they will never go out of style. After all, you can coordinate anything with them. After living in our home for over a year, I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Sage

whatever. I don't like white in my house but I love to visit YOURs. white/light pastels are feminine receptive feeling versus masculine, leather, wood, earthy stuff that gives me a secure grounded sense.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I just LOVE my white cabinets. Leaving my cherry cabinets up north and going light and bright in my new big kitchen. Can't wait to decorate in light and bright and leave all the dark, dark antique furniture behind. Don't want any of the antiques and dark woods either. They might be pretty, but some museum can have them as far as I'm concerned. New house and new bright everything. To each his own. That's why they have so many styles and choices.
I also LOVE your white kitchen. White never goes out of style, while wood tones (dark and light) go in out of style every decade or so. While looking at resales I noticed a lot of cabinets in pickled oak, that pinky beige whitish color that was popular in the 80's. That would be a deal breaker for me. However, my friend loves them and thinks they look "beachy". To each his own is right!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Our kitchen in Baltimore was brown maple and to me it looked depressing. In 2008 we had the kitchen gutted and a wall removed and installed white cabinets with stainless steel, granite and a tile backsplash. Here's a photo, when we listed our home for sale it sold in 18 hours.

The Villages Florida

When we moved to TV in 2011 we bought a new CYV and had to select from only the inventory available. We wanted white cabinets again but ended up with natural maple. After a year of looking at these maple cabinets we had Remington Kitchens in Leesburg reface our cabinets with white.

Before

The Villages Florida

After

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

We had the white cabinets in Baltimore for three years before moving to TV. In the morning the white made the whole house and my outlook on the day brighter. When we moved here we were so disappointed that no CYV had white. We been in several friends homes and I kept seeing white cabinets so finally we had ours refaced. It makes the whole house brighter, best improvement we made.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:54 AM
Gold member

Very nice John W!!

We also chose white cabinets and we LOVE it!

I don't dislike wood cabinets. Had them in every home so far.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Our cabinets are those pinky beige color and I hate them,but we loved the location and everything else about the house - and the price was right. I'm planning to have them painted sometime this year - redo the counter tops, etc... And I'm leaning toward "white".... Especially after seeing the picture of the white kitchen with Stainless appliances and dark granite counters... That means I won't have to replace my white blended tiles...
Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default If this isn't fodder for a decorating section, what is?

I love white cabinets, always "in".

They look great with contemporary style as Angie Fox pointed out with black granite.

BUT they look just as great with cottagy, beachy, or traditional. They pop with color on the walls behind them or accessories in bright colors...or accessories in pastel colors.

I like the dark cabinets we have in this house too.

They work well with our furniture from Ohio which is more traditional.

We had the cottagy look in our home in Hadley with medium colored wood cabinets, and we have the traditional look in this home with dark wood cabinets.

I love leafing through magazines to see just what the experts use, or watching my favorite Candace Olsen who (with a great deal of money) transforms rooms into works of art. Livable works of art.

I just love feathering the nest.

John W. You have a beautiful home. Gorgeous.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-27-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

I actually CHOSE to get the "silk" colored cabinets which are very warm white as opposed to bright white. My other home "up north" have wood everything. Wood cabinets, walls, ceilings etc. A bit dark but very cozy. Wanted to be bright, cool and cheerful here in TV. Don't need much cozy here......cozy to me is snug and warm......something I don't need here in the land of sunshine and heat.
It is not that "pinkish" color of the 90's and not stark white. I'm finding it excellent to decorate with.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 AM

I love my white cabinets and they are not cheap looking, I don't believe anyone has real wood cabinets unless you bought them yourself.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 AM

I purchased a preowned home which had light colored wood cabinets. I had them spray painted a cream color and installed new countertops. I have a whole new kitchen without the price of a total renovation and I love my painted cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	22087  
Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-27-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenie24 View Post
I purchased a preowned home which had light colored wood cabinets. I had them spray painted a cream color and installed new countertops. I have a whole new kitchen without the price of a total renovation and I love my painted cabinets.
Oh WOW Leenie. It looks like a page out of a magazine and a room I could just love to be in!

JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.