Does everybody like white kitchen cabinets?

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
When we moved to TV in 2011 we bought a new CYV and had to select from only the inventory available. We wanted white cabinets again but ended up with natural maple. After a year of looking at these maple cabinets we had Remington Kitchens in Leesburg reface our cabinets with white.
John, your kitchen is beautiful. Could I ask who did your living room floors? (I can't find a way to send you a PM).
Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

We have white kitchen cabinets and covered an entire wall in our laundry room with the same type white cabinets. We were told by the sale people who installed both the original and additional cabinets that the white cabinets were an upgrade? They are very easy to maintain and brighten the kitchen

I prefer white because of the Florida location and at our location the house is situated and built such that we do not get direct sunlight which pleases me because we can better regulate our inside temperature

However my favorite look is colonial and especially South Carolina colonial. And so if I had settled there then the cabinets would have been wood
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Am I the only one left who still like real wood finished cabinets? I just like the hominess of looking at real wood. The new white cabinets just don't appeal to me.
I agree, to a point. I like real wood cabinets for their wood beauty, but with new-home, current decorating trends, there's one thing that is unappealing after seeing too much of it in our homes in the northeast and midwest:

Country Oak......along with "country clutter". The look desired by many making a new start here is more "sleek" with simple lines (no carving) and high-quality materials. The heavy grained oak with medium orangy stain looks antique-y.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenie24 View Post
I purchased a preowned home which had light colored wood cabinets. I had them spray painted a cream color and installed new countertops. I have a whole new kitchen without the price of a total renovation and I love my painted cabinets.
Beautiful! I have white cabinets and want to redo the countertops I love the look of yours what are they made of?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran member

Our preference when we purchased our new Ranch house was white cabinets. It made the kitchen look brighter and we fell more like we are in Fl. Since it was a 2nd home they gave us a different look from our house in NY and made it easier to tell if we were in NY or Fl (actually there were a few other ways to tell - maybe more than a few ) . They are an upgrade over some of the wood look cabinets we like them.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Platinum member

I'm thinking of replacing the laminate counter tops in my white kitchen. I would love to hear what people have put with their white cabinets as to color. What colors granite they chose or high def laminate?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
Beautiful! I have white cabinets and want to redo the countertops I love the look of yours what are they made of?
The countertops are Corian. I had granite up north and wanted something with less pattern, so I chose this Corian which I love.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Thank you Gracie!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
John, your kitchen is beautiful. Could I ask who did your living room floors? (I can't find a way to send you a PM).
We had linoleum in the kitchen and foyer and carpet in the dining room. We only needed 300 sf to replace all that with one surface. We used engineered hardwood in 5" planks from Great Lakes. The job was done in four hours and was less than $2,000 installed, so that's a little over $6.00 a sf installed. They are the same sub that installed the carpet in our area during construction. We also used them in the past for the tile backsplash in the kitchen and indoor/outdoor carpet in the lanai.

Quote:
I'm thinking of replacing the laminate counter tops in my white kitchen. I would love to hear what people have put with their white cabinets as to color. What colors granite they chose or high def laminate?
We had gone to two places for granite estimates. We have 65 sf of counter tops and for level 1 granite it would of cost about $3,500 installed with a new undermount stainless sink and faucet. So for now we've put that on the back burner because I wanted the refacing first and then switching to stainless steel appliances. Up north we did the granite right away and went with 'Santa Cecilia', it a middle grade level 2 and is a goldish yellow color with black specks.

Quote:
I purchased a preowned home which had light colored wood cabinets. I had them spray painted a cream color and installed new countertops. I have a whole new kitchen without the price of a total renovation and I love my painted cabinets.
Leenie, your kitchen turned out great. We considered going with a white paint job from Investment painters, would of been about $1,000 dollars whereas the refacing ran us $4,500. I could of almost done the granite with the difference but with refacing they actually put in new doors and drawer fronts plus hinges and hand pulls. So we went that route, but your painting looks great!!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Am I the only one left who still like real wood finished cabinets? I just like the hominess of looking at real wood. The new white cabinets just don't appeal to me.
I love the white or silk or painted kitchen cabinets, I need a bright kitchen and am not much of a brown person. I can readily decorate and stylize around white and a paint palate. I can appreciate a wood finish kitchen but am happiest in mine.

I also think my choice is tempered by the memory of that wonderful old farm kitchen with white beadboard cabinets with little latches and red linoleum countertops in which I spent my very early years. To finish off that sweet memory is the aroma of my mom cooking dinner and baking wonderful homemade breads.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM

I love my white cabinets, and i don't believe any cabinets in the villages are wood, unless you bought them yourself. And my cabinets don't look cheap.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If everyone liked the same thing, they would just sell Vanilla ice cream.

What frosts me is that people come on this forum and say stuff as if their view is the only right way to think, because they have or don't have such and such. Every home here that I have been in is lovely and reflects it's owners. We all know what we want and what we think is pretty.

Not one kind of cabinets is superior to any other kind. That is just plain silly.

We left solid wood cabinets behind, by far better made than what we have now, but that is probably the industry standard these days. New cabinets in new homes here are probably like new cabinets in new homes across the country.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenie24 View Post
Absolutely beautiful! What is the name of the color?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-27-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth52 View Post
Absolutely beautiful! What is the name of the color?
Hi Ellizabeth, It is a Benjamin Moore Product called Advantage which is exellent for kitchen cabinets. The color is Timid White.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.