English recipes?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Platinum member
Default English recipes?

We are going to a neighborhood get together. Everyone is supposed to bring an example of a traditional holiday recipe.

We are just "American". All English ancestors, but we don't cook "English" Christmas foods.....it just seems to me that we make regular American midwestern food.

What should I make as an example of our heritage?

Mashed potatoes?

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 11-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Gold member

Roast parsnips
Old 11-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Every year my mother would make "pudding". It aged for quite some time and had a combination of different dried fruits. It sounds awful, but was really quite good. Her father was from the UK and it was passed down through the family. If you'd like, I'd be happy to see if I can find the recipe in one of her recipe boxes.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM

English fruit trifle.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Does it have to be traditional to your heritage or just traditional to your family?

If it's to your heritage, peas are veddy English. You could do something with peas, and that would be fairly simple. I've made English pudding. It's steamed in a mold and is a very long process. Not complicated, but long.

How about fruitcake? Our family actually likes it if it's homemade.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Make some potent wassail and you'll be forgiven. Several recipes on the internet.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 PM

I have one or two suggestions for you:

a) Bangers. Available at Fresh market " Irish Bangers" bake or fry cut them up in 1/4's, broil compare tomatoes (cut) in half serve (present) them on a platter together.

b) Apple Crumble topped with " Birds Eye Custard " available @ Publix , use Honeycrisp Apples. The custard put that in a bowl as an option ..but label Birds Eye Custard.

c) Everyone will bring English Pudding so use the above, you can always go to TJ Max they usually have " Xmas Crackers " if so bring them.

Last resort The Marion Market has a shop/stall tel. 352-391-5788.

This is so easy. I lived in England for many, many years my children still live there, really this is not a big deal.

Hope this is some help to you.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The most famous dish of Liverpool.

SCOUSE RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
Serves 4-6 people

Half a Pound of Stewing Steak
Half a Pound of Lambs Breast
A Large Onion
1lb of Carrots
5lb of Potatoes
2 Oxo Cubes
2 Teaspoons of Vegatable Oil
Worcester Sauce
Salt and Pepper
Water

HOW TO COOK
Takes 4 hours of slow cooking

Cut the meat into large cubes and fry in the vegatable oil until lightly browned all over. You may wish to add some Worcester Sauce at this point for added flavour.

Transfer the meat to a large saucepan and add the onion that should have been chopped into large chunks. Follow this by chopping the carrot into medallions and place this on the meat. Peel and then Finely dice 1lb of the potatoes and place on top of the carrots.

Fill the pan with cold water until it is half full. Break up the Oxo cubes and sprinkle into the water. Add salt and pepper for seasoning. Let the pan simmer gently, stirring occasionally. The large pieces of onion will start to break up and the potato will become soft and will make the final sauce thick.

Simmer for a total of two hours, then add the remaining potatoes that should have been peeled and roughly chopped, along with a few splashes of Worcester Sauce. Then simmer for another two hours.

Serve piping hot with red cabbage, beetroot, pickled onions and crusty bread. You may add Ketchup and HP for flavouring.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

If you're looking for really authentic English, just bring a case of Newcastle Ale.

A few years ago I made a traditional Christmas Pudding and lit it on fire with brandy on Christmas Eve.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Hands down, this IS the recipe you should take: Yorkshire Pudding! You can't get any more traditional English than this!

Yorkshire Pudding Recipe - Food.com - 744
Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
We are going to a neighborhood get together. Everyone is supposed to bring an example of a traditional holiday recipe.

We are just "American". All English ancestors, but we don't cook "English" Christmas foods.....it just seems to me that we make regular American midwestern food.

What should I make as an example of our heritage?

Mashed potatoes?
What passes for cookery in England is an abomination.....It is putting cabbages in water. It is roasting meat till it is like leather. It is cutting off delicious skins of vegetables.....A whole French family could live on what an English cook throws away.”
Virginia Woolf, 'To the Lighthouse' (1927)

Go to the party; look the host straight in the eye and tell him you are Chinese and produce Moo Goo Gai Pan from the take out place.

(Sorry...... couldn't resist.)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Spotted Dick

Spotted Dick Recipe | Epicurious.com
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I was going to suggest spotted dick for the conversation-starter aspect if nothing else, but having looked up recipes for it, I see that it's rather time-consuming to make.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Here are two Very English recipes. First is Sticky Toffee Pudding and the second is English Pea salad. Both are fairly simple.

English Sticky Toffee Pudding

Ingredients

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup pitted dates
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

TOFFEE SAUCE:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch round or square baking dish. Sift the flour and baking powder onto a sheet of waxed paper. Chop the dates fine. Place in a small bowl and add the boiling water and baking soda; set aside. In a bowl of electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; beat until blended. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Add the date mixture to the batter and fold until blended with a rubber spatula. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake until pudding is set and firm on top, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven to a wire rack. Toffee Sauce: Combine the butter, heavy cream and brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil gently over medium low heat until mixture is thickened, about 8 minutes. Preheat broiler. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the sauce over the pudding. Spread evenly on top. Place pudding under the broiler until the topping is bubbly, about 1 minute. Serve immediately spooned into dessert bowls. Drizzle with toffee sauce and top with a spoonful of whipped cream

English Pea Salad

Ingredients
• 4 slices bacon
• 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed and drained
• 1 cup shredded Cheddar
• 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
• 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Let cool.
In a medium serving bowl, combine the bacon, peas, cheese, and eggs. Stir in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Sage

Spotted Dick. . . and Boiled Baby. Both are English puddings
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.