Food snobbery. Who has the right to tell others they are eating inferior stuff?

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I see you are a wine connoisseur also.
Whatever tastes decent!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:19 PM
fw102807

With enough Chateau WhateverComesOutofaBox everything tastes good.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Sage

Awhile ago I was listening to a wine discussion on NPR. The guy said the best value in wine are wines from Chile. That's what I usually buy.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
There are "foodies" and "not-so-foodies" in this world. Myself---I eat to live I don't live to eat. BUT I know what you're referring to. I had a friend before we moved here who wouldn't cook unless certain pans (I'm talking brand here) were used. The kitchen was A-1 first class and these were very middle class people. I'd bet the food in our kitchen tasted just as good.

Not food related BUT I took a class in college where we did a "road trip" and the manager of a local store took us on a tour. He talked about merchandising and how 'at market' the clothing all came from the same places BUT the different labels were put on them. Such as "piece A" might have a designer label and "piece C" has a store label. They might be the very same thing but because of the labels the prices vary greatly. From that time...I no longer was so hung up on the "name". Expensive isn't always better.
It is the same with car parts. A guy I know owns a shop which maintains Ferraris, Lamborghinis and such. If he orders a Ferrari part it costs maybe four times as much as if he orders, for example, a Volvo part so he keeps some kind of a cross reference file so he can order the Ferrari part under the Volvo name when possible; it is the identical part, of course.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-11-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
There are "foodies" and "not-so-foodies" in this world. Myself---I eat to live I don't live to eat. BUT I know what you're referring to. I had a friend before we moved here who wouldn't cook unless certain pans (I'm talking brand here) were used. The kitchen was A-1 first class and these were very middle class people. I'd bet the food in our kitchen tasted just as good.

Not food related BUT I took a class in college where we did a "road trip" and the manager of a local store took us on a tour. He talked about merchandising and how 'at market' the clothing all came from the same places BUT the different labels were put on them. Such as "piece A" might have a designer label and "piece C" has a store label. They might be the very same thing but because of the labels the prices vary greatly. From that time...I no longer was so hung up on the "name". Expensive isn't always better.
I used to edit the off-line closed-captioning for Food Network, among other networks. So I watched every cooking show on Food between the mid to late '90s and 2006. I'm struck by the fact that so many of the restaurant chefs cook with dented, thin aluminum pans while turning out fantastic looking food. (Obviously I can't taste it, but it looks delicious.)

I think it's the cook, not the pans.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think February was a good year.
Thanks a damned lot!

I just spewed ice tea...all over my keyboard.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I truly do not think that you are a food snob if you choose not to eat processed food. I also think you are not a food snob if you choose to use a pan that does have a coating that could leave particles in your food.

For health reasons we choose not to eat processed foods. I own four cooking vessels that do not have a coating of any kind, while not inexpensive, my first one was a gift in 1975. I still use it today.

I don’t think that’s a snob I think that’s just trying to live longer.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Awhile ago I was listening to a wine discussion on NPR. The guy said the best value in wine are wines from Chile. That's what I usually buy.
Chilean wines are quite good and usually reasonably priced. Some of the Argentinian Malbecs are fantastic and typically not too pricey. Although I am not much of a white wine drinker I occasionally enjoy a Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region of New Zealand.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-11-2018, 03:37 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I used to edit the off-line closed-captioning for Food Network, among other networks. So I watched every cooking show on Food between the mid to late '90s and 2006. I'm struck by the fact that so many of the restaurant chefs cook with dented, thin aluminum pans while turning out fantastic looking food. (Obviously I can't taste it, but it looks delicious.)

I think it's the cook, not the pans.
As I mentioned to Tomwed in another post, my definition of a good cook is someone who does need a recipe (unlike me) but just knows how to prepare food.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Sage

The Villages Florida
Old 05-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The Villages Florida
That hit me like a ton of bricks!

Old 05-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I truly do not think that you are a food snob if you choose not to eat processed food. I also think you are not a food snob if you choose to use a pan that does have a coating that could leave particles in your food.

For health reasons we choose not to eat processed foods. I own four cooking vessels that do not have a coating of any kind, while not inexpensive, my first one was a gift in 1975. I still use it today.

I don’t think that’s a snob I think that’s just trying to live longer.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:42 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Chilean wines are quite good and usually reasonably priced. Some of the Argentinian Malbecs are fantastic and typically not too pricey. Although I am not much of a white wine drinker I occasionally enjoy a Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region of New Zealand.
Actually Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region of New Zealand is my absolute favorite and unfortunately does not come in a box.
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I have pretty simple tastes in food. I have eaten at very high end establishments and at dives. Some of the best food (to me) has been at what some would consider dives. We were in Maui at the Ritz Carleton for our national managers meeting with New York Life in the early 90s. We had gourmet receptions followed by gourmet meals with endless fine wine for four days in a row. I finally told my wife I would kill for a whopper and fries right now. She agreed!
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
That hit me like a ton of bricks!
Good thing it wasn't a...'ton of Velveeta.'

Because that would have been...a lot heavier.

Closed Thread

Tags
values, food, personal, private, dealing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.