Food snobbery. Who has the right to tell others they are eating inferior stuff?

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Good thing it wasn't a...'ton of Velveeta.'

Because that would have been...a lot heavier.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The Villages Florida
Way back when, I did show up at a wine and cheese party with a box of Velveeta just to rattle the host and get a laugh.
I wouldn't do that today.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:47 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Way back when, I did show up at a wine and cheese party with a box of Velveeta just to rattle the host and get a laugh.
Today you would need to make it into a dip
Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
I heard it goes well with White Zinfandel

but wouldn't know as I don't get near either one of them.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

Why do people hate white Zin? And hate on us? I love white Zin (and I’m not in college—I've already graduated). Why do people turn their nose up when they serve it?

—G.G.T., New York

Dear G.G.,

Well, some people are just rude. You should enjoy whatever is in your glass, haters be damned.

White Zinfandel is maligned by some wine lovers because it has a reputation as the wine people drink when they don’t actually like wine. It’s often made with relatively low-quality grapes and blended into a consistent house style that can mask the types of grapes it’s made from and where the grapes are grown. It’s also on the extremely affordable end of the wine-cost spectrum, which some people will only see as “cheap.” And the reasons you may enjoy it—its fruit-punch flavor profile and appealing sweet finish—are exactly what turn off some wine lovers. Sweetness can take the edge off of a simple wine, but it can also mask a wine’s nuances, if it has any.

I think you’ve hinted at the next point I’m going to make, which is that for some people (yours truly included), white Zinfandel was what we drank before we “graduated” to other, more serious and expensive wines. It helped me get comfortable with a wineglass in my hands, and most importantly, it gave me a reason to walk into a wine shop. It’s been a couple years since I’ve had a glass of white Zinfandel, and I imagine it would seem sweet and simple to me. But I would never want to be a jerk about it.

These days, there’s a bit of a revival of white Zinfandel—some terrific wineries out there are making it, but in a dry rosé style, which may or may not appeal to the typical white Zinfandel drinkers. And I should also mention that there are plenty of rosés made from other grapes besides Zinfandel at which only the most ignorant server would wrinkle their nose.

Unfortunately, there will always be someone judging you by what you drink. I have a lot of unsavory names for these people, but the one thing you’ll never hear me call them is “friend.”

—Dr. Vinny

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Do you remember the Perry Como show I think. Kraft was the sponsor and they had the worst recipes made from Jet-Puffed Marshmallows; Velveeta Cheese and fig newtons.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
or use it to bait rat traps.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Do you remember the Perry Como show I think. Kraft was the sponsor and they had the worst recipes made from Jet-Puffed Marshmallows; Velveeta Cheese and fig newtons.
Perry who?
Old 05-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Perry who?
Mr. Relaxation
Old 05-11-2018, 04:10 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Mr. Relaxation
Must have eaten the Velveeta
Old 05-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I heard it goes well with White Zinfandel

but wouldn't know as I don't get near either one of them.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

Why do people hate white Zin? And hate on us? I love white Zin (and I’m not in college—I've already graduated). Why do people turn their nose up when they serve it?

—G.G.T., New York

Dear G.G.,

Well, some people are just rude. You should enjoy whatever is in your glass, haters be damned.

White Zinfandel is maligned by some wine lovers because it has a reputation as the wine people drink when they don’t actually like wine. It’s often made with relatively low-quality grapes and blended into a consistent house style that can mask the types of grapes it’s made from and where the grapes are grown. It’s also on the extremely affordable end of the wine-cost spectrum, which some people will only see as “cheap.” And the reasons you may enjoy it—its fruit-punch flavor profile and appealing sweet finish—are exactly what turn off some wine lovers. Sweetness can take the edge off of a simple wine, but it can also mask a wine’s nuances, if it has any.

I think you’ve hinted at the next point I’m going to make, which is that for some people (yours truly included), white Zinfandel was what we drank before we “graduated” to other, more serious and expensive wines. It helped me get comfortable with a wineglass in my hands, and most importantly, it gave me a reason to walk into a wine shop. It’s been a couple years since I’ve had a glass of white Zinfandel, and I imagine it would seem sweet and simple to me. But I would never want to be a jerk about it.

These days, there’s a bit of a revival of white Zinfandel—some terrific wineries out there are making it, but in a dry rosé style, which may or may not appeal to the typical white Zinfandel drinkers. And I should also mention that there are plenty of rosés made from other grapes besides Zinfandel at which only the most ignorant server would wrinkle their nose.

Unfortunately, there will always be someone judging you by what you drink. I have a lot of unsavory names for these people, but the one thing you’ll never hear me call them is “friend.”

—Dr. Vinny
I agree with some of this. I have watched a friend of mine graduate from white Zin to Pinot Grigio to Chardonnay.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

P.S. I am not touting this article, just saying I am often annoyed by some people who post on this forum thinking they are superior when it comes to their choices of food. Who's to say?
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Must have eaten the Velveeta
Dunno, might have been the pot roast.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Platinum member

Food snob to the max here. When I see someone eating Libby's Vienna Sausage instead of Armour, I give it to 'em...if they aren't chasing those little beauts with saltines, I double down on the belittlement.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:20 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Food snob to the max here. When I see someone eating Libby's Vienna Sausage instead of Armour, I give it to 'em...if they aren't chasing those little beauts with saltines, I double down on the belittlement.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Dunno, might have been the pot roast.
I see your fine wine and I raise you my pot roast.

Any day of the week.

And Velveeta is yummy in a sauce made with half and half and butter and flour over cauliflower.

Processed food includes frozen strawberries and canned green beans and pickles. If we didn't have ways to preserve food and ship it to others by processing it, we would be in a real bind.

Tags
values, food, personal, private, dealing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.