Foods I have never tried.

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Oh I forgot. I enjoy javelina from time to time. I used to hunt them in southwest NM in the boot heel area.

My mother used to add dandelion greens to her salads. They are very nutritious.

One of the most delicious meals I ever ate was prepared by a woman on a small open boat tied up to a river dock in Thailand. She added all sorts of ingredients into a soup base. It cost me a whole US dollar!

The worst food I ever tried was haggis, not in Scotland, but in Dunedin, NZ. I could not even begin to get it down, even with the single malt scotch they served to help!

If any of you ever get a chance - you will probably need reservations, get a small group together and order a whole suckling pig at Restaurante Botin, in Madrid, Spain. It commenced operation in 1725 and is reputably the oldest restaurant in its original premises in the world.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I looked up your previous posts about the liver party..LMK if you have another one. Who knew? A liver club...
AND it is non denominational and bi-partisan and multi-cultural.

but, no kids allowed.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 02-01-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here are some foods I have never tried. Some are because I don't want to and some are because I just have never had the opportunity.

Sushi
Squid/Calamari
Sun dried tomatoes
Figs
Kidney
Prosciuto (sp?)

How about you?
Gracie!

You must have my Eggs Benedict with homemade Hollandaise and prosciutto. Shame on you
Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritParrothead View Post
all of the above are delicious, except squid; YUK, like eating a flipflop
Squid needs either a very fast cooking time or time to become tender. The rule of thumb for squid is either less than 2 minutes or simmer for 20 minutes. Anything else and they do become rubber.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth52 View Post
My husband is quite the chef so I am blessed with the opportunity to try lots of things that some people may never experience. He will try anything at least once. We have fresh figs during the summer as my husband has around 200 different types of fig trees.

Gracie, I have had everything on your list except snake and sushi. Just can't bring myself to eat sushi after reading about sushi worms years ago. Oh, and baked beans. Yeah, I know most people love them, but I have never even tasted them because I don't like the way they look.
OMG Figs, figs , figs. Can I buy some green ones from you in October (My husband and I will be there Oct 5-11) My mom had one-of-a-kind dessert with green figs my dad planted in our back yard (this is in Brazil). Every Christmas season (pick summer) she will make them and, since I moved to the US I never find green figs, just the ripe ones. So my husband is beginning to grow a small fig tree now and we will plant it in our house for when we move down to the Villages (I am in Virginia now). So, if you have these, I can certainly get a bunch and make them. It takes a good two days to have them to perfection, but I can tell you it is d e l i c i o us and it used to be one of the favorite desserts of one of our Presidents (my mother would gift him with green fig dessert every year) Please..
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Sage
Wink

Quote:
Here are some foods I have never tried. Some are because I don't want to and some are because I just have never had the opportunity.

Sushi
Squid/Calamari
Sun dried tomatoes
Figs
Kidney
Prosciuto (sp?)

How about you?
I thought we were told that it's not healthy to be thinking about food all the time.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
AND it is non denominational and bi-partisan and multi-cultural.

but, no kids allowed.
Include me in, I love livers, any way you cut it (or I)…
… but I thought WE were the KIDS, aren't we?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I thought we were told that it's not healthy to be thinking about food all the time.
I guess thinking is okay, as long we are not eating them all the time… That is why sharing is important… I cook , we all look, and share the eating :-)
Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by "all the time". Between grocery shopping and eating three meals a day, I think most of us think about food quite often. Excuse me now, I have to go eat
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Gracie!

You must have my Eggs Benedict with homemade Hollandaise and prosciutto. Shame on you
Um, Russ, don't you owe me an invite to brunch? I vaguely remember some furniture being delivered and Styrofoam beads all over the place. Hint, hint!!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Sage

I ate chocolate covered ants as a kid when I was far more flexible. I don't think I could do that now. I stopped eating foie gras when I learned how they torture ducks shoving a pipe down their throat to force feed til their liver essentially explodes. I have a more difficult time eating these days the more I learn what goes into getting the product. I am certain I could live on red wine and dark chocolate and cashews.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.