Foods I have never tried.

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here are some foods I have never tried. Some are because I don't want to and some are because I just have never had the opportunity.

Sushi It can be good.....or bad
Squid/Calamari I LOVE calamari - my goto appetizer
Sun dried tomatoes love them on pizza
Figs eaten them, not a fan
Kidney Tried it --- hated it
Prosciuto (sp?) ????

How about you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Also frogs legs. I ordered them once and just couldn't bring myself to try them. Bare!!!! I LOVE frog legs (have caught, cleaned, cooked and eaten them myself - does that make me a redneck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I haven't had tripe. Me either

I have had possum (yuck), snake, squirrel, venison, rabbit, turtle, hog, oysters, scallops, lobster, frog legs, crawfish, shark, and roe all caught or killed and cooked in the wild or nearest park.
And swamp cabbage (hearts of palm) my daddy cut and mama cooked (better than Bonifay's.) YUM! Haven't had snake, but all the rest
I will submit another exotic dish for your consideration. My wife picks zucchini blooms and coats them with egg and seasoned flour and fries them. They are delectable!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Sage

I was living in Rhode Island and saw a cooking show with a delicious looking recipe using prosciutto. As I tell this, you have to know that I believe I was the only person in the entire state with a Southern accent. I went to the deli counter and asked for prosciutto. The man behind the counter made me repeat it a few times and went into the back and brought two other people out and told me to tell them what I wanted. I guess I said it funny. Anyway, I'll try just about anything...with the exception of snails.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I wont eat insects. I know stuff like chocolate covered bees are supposed to be a delicacy, but they're not for me. On the other hand, I cannot imagine life without sushi or calamari or sun dried tomatos or many other of the foods that people don't like. To each his own. Although, being Jewish I also enjoy Gefilte fish and matzoh, so I accept the fact that my tastes are warped!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Sage

I grew up with a mother and grandmother who appreciated "nature's way".

My grandmother taught me to collect periwinkles on our salt water beach, boil them, and twirl them out with a pin. The large ones taste like escargot. I guess winkles are a big deal in England. She also taught me to collect dulce, which is really seaweed. I saw dulce sold at Publix, mega pricey!

My mother used to pick mushrooms in the Forest, I guess she must have attended Mushrooms 101 because she never poisoned us. She also used to gather things like dandelion greens. I grew up loving vegetables because she convinced me they were yummy. Thanks Mom!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Try the mountain oysters at the Testicle Festival at the Charlo Rec Club in Montana sometime. Yum! Their ad says "Come have a ball!" I have the T shirt to prove I was there.
<stuff snipped by Alan for brevity >

I laughed out loud at your post. I thought you were just kidding. I Google and sure enough there it is. I have led such a sheltered life
Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm probably one of the world's pickiest eaters. I'm definitely a meat and potatoes type of person. That being said, there's not much I haven't eaten -- most of it as a child at embassy dinners. This includes sheep eye soup, chilled monkey brains, calamari fixed every way imaginable, marsupials galore (and, yes, opossum is yucky -- so is porcupine) and so on and so forth. And I truly LOVE sushi!

You can't pay me to eat okra (too slimy) or creamed spinach. Not a fan of cabbage in almost all of its forms. Lima beans do not pass my lips. Nor does haggis or anything else that consists of stomach linings and the like. Don't like kidneys but love liver. Don't like any type of meat/vegetable pie (pies should be sweet and fruity).

Of the esoteric foods I'd recommend folks try sushi (go with a friend who can gently steer you to the easy stuff at first); calamari; insects (they really are tasty and crunchy, especially dipped in chocolate); frog legs and snake (both taste a lot like chicken).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'm probably one of the world's pickiest eaters. I'm definitely a meat and potatoes type of person. That being said, there's not much I haven't eaten -- most of it as a child at embassy dinners. This includes sheep eye soup, chilled monkey brains, calamari fixed every way imaginable, marsupials galore (and, yes, opossum is yucky -- so is porcupine) and so on and so forth. And I truly LOVE sushi!

You can't pay me to eat okra (too slimy) or creamed spinach. Not a fan of cabbage in almost all of its forms. Lima beans do not pass my lips. Nor does haggis or anything else that consists of stomach linings and the like. Don't like kidneys but love liver. Don't like any type of meat/vegetable pie (pies should be sweet and fruity).

Of the esoteric foods I'd recommend folks try sushi (go with a friend who can gently steer you to the easy stuff at first); calamari; insects (they really are tasty and crunchy, especially dipped in chocolate); frog legs and snake (both taste a lot like chicken).
I knew I could count on you for interesting. What have you NOT eaten?
Kitty
ps the snake I ate was fat and bony...where do you get good liver n onions?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Try the mountain oysters at the Testicle Festival at the Charlo Rec Club in Montana sometime. Yum! Their ad says "Come have a ball!" I have the T shirt to prove I was there.

I think I have eaten everything listed so far except for the possum which I have never had the opportunity to chomp down upon. I have also eaten smoked Minke whale meat in Norway, seal, black bear, prong horn antelope, goat, pigeon, quail and pheasant. I tried a piece of mountain lion (yuk) but could not chew it enough or get it down. I have eaten some grasshoppers with chili powder on them and ants dipped in chocolate in Mexico, "dancing shrimp" in Japan and escargot and horse meat in France. I love venison, elk, frog legs, calf's brains, sushi, abalone, geoduck (a large clam found in the state of Washington), crayfish and fresh sturgeon caviar washed down with ice cold Russian vodka.

On occasion in New Mexico I eat menudo, which contains tripe.

I have never tried any marsupial, such as kangaroo or wallaby, any primate such as a monkey, grub, dog or rat (unless I ate at the wrong Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant).

I do not quite have the stomach of Andrew Zimmern (in more ways than one!) but I do enjoy his shows.
You should change your screen name to manaboutworld!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

never had oysters..clams..but love seafood
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I knew I could count on you for interesting. What have you NOT eaten?
Kitty
ps the snake I ate was fat and bony...where do you get good liver n onions?
Kitty, we had a liver & onions dinner with a group of TOTVers last spring, at Toojays. 16 or 17 people, although some were non-liver-eating spouses. They have liver and chicken livers dinners at Toojays. Do a search for liver & you'll see the places other people recommended for liver. There is at least one liver club in TV.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Sage

Has it ever occurred to anyone besides me that lobsters are a lot like enormous insects that live in the sea? Think about it. And I love lobster.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
GG: I have eaten figs and dates and especially like them stuffed with Brazil nuts .

Calamari My mother made a good stuffed calamari and introduced so many people to this meal over the years. I never met one who didn't want more. I like to sauté it in virgin oil and then light it with brandy

Prosciutto is a cured spice ham cut thin almost so it is transparent. it is excellent with melon.
sun dried tomatoes are delicious on almost anything.

I have not eaten sushi nor kidney.

I do love raw oysters clams
Rubicon, I want to eat at your house. Can I be your new best friend and come over for dinner? I haven't tried kidney and don't really want to and don't eat sushi because I don't eat rice, but I do eat sashimi which is like sushi without the rice. You cook for me and I'll take you for your first sushi.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 AM

raw clams, oysters, figs, (unless fig newtons count) gator tail, squid, deer, rabbit. Some foods it is a mind set deal. Just the thought of eating it turns me off.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Kitty, we had a liver & onions dinner with a group of TOTVers last spring, at Toojays. 16 or 17 people, although some were non-liver-eating spouses. They have liver and chicken livers dinners at Toojays. Do a search for liver & you'll see the places other people recommended for liver. There is at least one liver club in TV.
I looked up your previous posts about the liver party..LMK if you have another one. Who knew? A liver club...
Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 02-01-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.