Foods we ate in the fifties..........

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Eternal Member

Our picnic sandwich...
Ground bologna, sweet pickle relish & mayo on Wonder bread. YUM !
I still like Spam, grilled or fried.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Our picnic sandwich...
Ground bologna, sweet pickle relish & mayo on Wonder bread. YUM !
I still like Spam, grilled or fried.
I remember that. Poor man's ham salad. Ahhh those were the days.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I remember that. Poor man's ham salad. Ahhh those were the days.
Oh, the sodium! But I still like bologna sandwiches on white with mayo. Side of chips (Dandee, which sadly you can no longer get. And Wise no longer uses the yummy stuff they used to fry their chips with :-().

Great thread, GG. (You wonder what VPL would have had to say!)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Creamed chipped beef on toast.. Oh my how I hated when that was put on the table but now I would love love love to eat some of my Mom's "weird" food..
Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Gold member

Oh, boy. I think I was perhaps 10 years old, my brother Stephen was 8. Our beloved grandfather was a very skilled carpenter and a Navy seal. He built his own home on Lake Zoar in Sandy Hook, Connecticut, on a very steep hill, dug his own well, etc. When the house was about finished he brought my brother and me to the house and pointed to a sunken wooden rowboat (that he built) at the end of the dock (that he built also). He said we would make it seaworthy again. It took months. We sanded and sanded, and scraped out all of the material between the boards on the sides of the boat and the hull. We replaced that material with some sort of marine cord the was pressed into the openings created and that would swell up when in contact with water. Lo and behold, when we put it in the water, it floated. He taught us to row as well as all the boat terminology. Only after we demonstrated that we could launch and land the boat using the oars, he finally allowed a huge 5 HP motor, LOL! Then we learned to launch and land again under motor power. We loved him and the experience.

But, to get back on topic, we usually had to bring our own lunch. I can remember that between my brother and me we could eat eight (count 'em!) bologna and mayo sandwiches on plain white bread. Hey, we were working hard! I'd give a lot for that experience again, and I'll never forget it.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I hated my mother's vegetable soup. Hated it. She wouldn't cut the vegetables up. You needed a knife and fork and spoon to eat it. And you had darn well better eat it. And there was nothing else to go with it. That was it for dinner--a big bowl of vegetables in a bland broth. Now I think it was probably an end-of-the-month-no-money-left dinner. I actually liked her liver. And probably would have preferred her Spam to her vegetable soup.

You couldn't leave the table till you ate all your peas/beets/lima beans. The beagle Joe at my feet loved peas and lima beans, but he hacked up the beet I tried him on. Busted. I didn't blame him.
My Mom made a similar soup that she called "Depression Soup". Originated during the depression and yes, she made it at the end of the week when there was not much left in the pantry.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Oh, boy. I think I was perhaps 10 years old, my brother Stephen was 8. Our beloved grandfather was a very skilled carpenter and a Navy seal. He built his own home on Lake Zoar in Sandy Hook, Connecticut, on a very steep hill, dug his own well, etc. When the house was about finished he brought my brother and me to the house and pointed to a sunken wooden rowboat (that he built) at the end of the dock (that he built also). He said we would make it seaworthy again. It took months. We sanded and sanded, and scraped out all of the material between the boards on the sides of the boat and the hull. We replaced that material with some sort of marine cord the was pressed into the openings created and that would swell up when in contact with water. Lo and behold, when we put it in the water, it floated. He taught us to row as well as all the boat terminology. Only after we demonstrated that we could launch and land the boat using the oars, he finally allowed a huge 5 HP motor, LOL! Then we learned to launch and land again under motor power. We loved him and the experience.

But, to get back on topic, we usually had to bring our own lunch. I can remember that between my brother and me we could eat eight (count 'em!) bologna and mayo sandwiches on plain white bread. Hey, we were working hard! I'd give a lot for that experience again, and I'll never forget it.
What a fantastic story. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Sage

Every Sunday my mom would make a lemon meringue pie and fried chicken before church and put the hot rolls to rise (baked them after church). Other days we had pot roast (lots of leftovers), sometimes salmon cakes with canned peas, ham steak,pork chops, never beef steak such as we think of it now, but we did have "chicken-fried" cube steak. Lots of fresh veggies mostly cooked to gray death and fresh fruit. I don't recall my mother ever making soup or stew
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Sage

My mother always made homemade bread. She would put the loaves on the radiators to rise. Then bake. The aroma was amazing. I remember cube steak too. My father insisted on dessert at every meal. I don't remember it much, except that the strawberry shortcake was made with homemade biscuits and was very, very dry. My mother didn't like sweets, so that may be the reason her desserts aren't that memorable.

Her waffles were amazing, though. I still have her waffle iron, about 60 years old and still working. I love waffles very dark and crispy, the way she would make them for us because we liked them that way. Or probably because my father liked them that way, so we grew up with it.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Creamed chipped beef on toast.. Oh my how I hated when that was put on the table but now I would love love love to eat some of my Mom's "weird" food..
We had creamed chipped beef on boiled potatoes and creamed tuna with peas on toast.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Mock "Chicken" on a stick, Cream Cheese and Jelly Sandwiches. Remembering my Grandmother's "Ice Box", as in where the ice man delivered a block of ice to keep foods cold. And, of course, Spam, Corned Beef in a can to make hash. Fried bologna and potatoes."Eat, children are starving in Europe". Could never understand how my eating helped them more than the Marshall Plan.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Nothing like cutting bologna off the ring and cold spam.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:32 PM

I love all of your responses. Brings back so many memories of meals I’ve happily forgotten, and some I miss. I loved the creamed tuna with peas on toast, lime jello with shredded carrots, celery and pineapple. Hated my mother’s hamburgers. She fried them until they were as hard as hockey pucks. Until I was about 16, and had a restaurant hamburger, I could never understand why anyone would ever like them. She also did the nasty ‘refrigerator vegetable soup’ any old leftover vegetables boiled with water. Fried spam sprinkled with brown sugar. Yuk!
Old 10-06-2017, 01:18 AM

No Brag, liked to smear green stuff over my face and spit it at anyone who dared to come close.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Mock "Chicken" on a stick, Cream Cheese and Jelly Sandwiches. Remembering my Grandmother's "Ice Box", as in where the ice man delivered a block of ice to keep foods cold. And, of course, Spam, Corned Beef in a can to make hash. Fried bologna and potatoes."Eat, children are starving in Europe". Could never understand how my eating helped them more than the Marshall Plan.
Might be a Pittsburgh tradition, but we used to have City Chicken. That was hunks of chicken and pork alternated on a short wooden skewer, then dipped in egg wash, breaded and fried. Any grocery store in Pgh. sold them already "sticked" and ready to bread & fry. My kids still like me to make them.

A can of Hormel Corned Beef Hash spread in a pan, make four indentations and break an egg in each. Bake. Devour the sodium!

Tags
remember, fifties, ate, foods

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.