Helllmans vs Dukes

Old 02-20-2024, 04:57 AM
Default Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
What do you prefer? I’ve been a Hellman’s user all my life and I just bought my first jug of Dukes. Just thought I’d give it a try (haven’t yet). I grew up with Hellmans and have never used anything else. Are there significant differences?
Wife grew up with Miracle Whip.
Thanks for any replies!
Hellmans by far
Old 02-20-2024, 05:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
What do you prefer? I’ve been a Hellman’s user all my life and I just bought my first jug of Dukes. Just thought I’d give it a try (haven’t yet). I grew up with Hellmans and have never used anything else. Are there significant differences?
Thanks for any replies!
We did the same Hellmans vs Duke Hellmans won no contest
Old 02-20-2024, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

A healthier option than either is avocado mayo to avoid the transfat in mainstream mayo brands.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

I was always a Hellman's customer, tried Dukes. Now I can't taste the difference. Duke's seems to be a little creamier, I buy what ever is on sale now or I have a coupon for.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:41 AM
Default Mayo Packets

Quote:
Thanks for any replies!
If given packets at a restaurant, the Helmanns is difficult to open, the seam down the middle of the back won't tear. Otherwise I doubt you can tell the difference.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for any replies!
Dukes all the way.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:44 AM

Dukes ALL THE WAY!!! Just Better than both Hellman's and Miracle Whip.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for any replies!
Yep I grew up with Hellmans and stayed with it until I decided to try Duke. Would never go back. Miracle Whip? Yuk
Old 02-20-2024, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Duke's mayonnaise:
Soybean Oil, Eggs, Water, Distilled and Cider Vinegar, Salt, Oleoresin Paprika, Natural Flavors, Calcium Disodium EDTA Added to Protect Flavor.

On the Hellman's container, it simply says "ingredients derived from a bioengineered source". Doesn't say what ingredient. Hellman's is now making a vegan mayo that does not have that.
Here are the Hellmann's ingredients from their website:

Soybean oil, water, whole eggs, distilled vinegar, egg yolks, salt, sugar, lemon juice concentrate, calcium disodium edta (used to protect quality), natural flavors.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
If you have a preference, Dukes does not have bioengineered ingredients like Hellman's does.
They both use soybean oil 90% of which is roundup ready. Thus both using gmo soybean oil. This makes the plant resistant to roundup so easier for the farmer to control weeds and increases yield.

This being said there is no protein in oil so no dna material either.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Please explain. Both products contain "calcium disodium EDTA", which is the only ingredient that I don't recognize. Which ingredient in Hellmann's is bioengineered?
The EDTA is a chelating agent used to remove metals from the water. The metals are a catalyst to oxidation so removing them increase shelf life.

The gmo ingredient is the soybean oil. The seed is modified to make plant resistant to roundup increasing yield. They both use this soybean oil since 90% of the supply comes from this seed.

Last edited by crash; 02-21-2024 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Auto correct
Old 02-20-2024, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
A healthier option than either is avocado mayo to avoid the transfat in mainstream mayo brands.
There is no trans fat in any oil. Trans fat is created in the hydrogenated process.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Duke's mayonnaise:
Soybean Oil, Eggs, Water, Distilled and Cider Vinegar, Salt, Oleoresin Paprika, Natural Flavors, Calcium Disodium EDTA Added to Protect Flavor.

On the Hellman's container, it simply says "ingredients derived from a bioengineered source". Doesn't say what ingredient. Hellman's is now making a vegan mayo that does not have that.
No such thing as vegan mayonnaise it would be a dressing. There is a standard to call it mayo which is at least 60% oil and egg yolk. Vegan mayo would not have egg yolk so not a mayonnaise.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Please explain. Both products contain "calcium disodium EDTA", which is the only ingredient that I don't recognize. Which ingredient in Hellmann's is bioengineered?
EDTA is a cancer causing chemical and is added as a preservative. Avoid at all costs.
You can buy Chosen Foods Classic Mayo with avocado oil in a 1 qt bottle at Costco for a good price. Non GMO and Keto friendly.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
No such thing as vegan mayonnaise it would be a dressing. There is a standard to call it mayo which is at least 60% oil and egg yolk. Vegan mayo would not have egg yolk so not a mayonnaise.
The only vegan product listed on the Hellmann's website is "GARLIC AIOLI DIP AND SPREAD". They don't call it mayonnaise.

Tags
grew, dukes, wife, hellmans, miracle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.