Honeybaked Ham Wannabe

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2023, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Honeybaked Ham Wannabe

We have kids coming soon, driving down from Michigan. They want ham and our "famous" family potato salad for their arrival. Can anyone recommend a smoked ham they like as well or nearly as well as Honeybaked? We don't care about the sugar coating, and their ham for 4-6 people is $64. I think this will end up as sandwiches, so I'm thinking we could go with something less than Honeybaked.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We have kids coming soon, driving down from Michigan. They want ham and our "famous" family potato salad for their arrival. Can anyone recommend a smoked ham they like as well or nearly as well as Honeybaked? We don't care about the sugar coating, and their ham for 4-6 people is $64. I think this will end up as sandwiches, so I'm thinking we could go with something less than Honeybaked.
You can buy spiral sliced hams in any of the grocery stores, but, in my opinion, the Honeybaked hams are worth the extra cost. Buy a large bone-in half ham and make bean soup with the leftovers. There is no preparation and no heating, you just eat the ham as is.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Parents picked up a small spiral ham from Walmart last week, had the brown sugar packet. It was just as good as honey baked, but only $5 ish a pound. I wasn’t large, 4 pounds, but well worth it. Sorry name escapes me but if i remember will post.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Parents picked up a small spiral ham from Walmart last week, had the brown sugar packet. It was just as good as honey baked, but only $5 ish a pound. I wasn’t large, 4 pounds, but well worth it. Sorry name escapes me but if i remember will post.
Thanks. If you remember the name, I'll appreciate it. Was it the Walmart on 466 or the Neighborhood Walmart?
Old 10-26-2023, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

IMO boars heads about as good as you’re going to find around here.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO boars heads about as good as you’re going to find around here.
Does Boars Head come as a sliced ham? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but we're not big ham eaters, so I don't keep up with what's available. I would rather not buy thin slices of deli ham, though.
Old 10-26-2023, 10:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

From Consumer Reports... "Best Spiral Hams for the Holidays"

They rated:
1. Target's Market Pantry Hickory Smoked Spiral-Cut Bone-In Ham - Editor's Choice
2. Appleton Farms Spiral Cut Double-Glazed Ham (Bone-In) - A Delicious Second Choice
3. Kirkland (Costco) Applewood Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham (Bone-In) - A Popular Pick
4. The HoneyBaked Ham Company Half Ham (Boneless) - An Expensive Dud
5. Member’s Mark (Sam’s Club) Boneless Spiral Brown Sugar Glazed Ham - One to Skip

Presently, I found that Target's website shows the ham in their Clermont (closest) store, at only 99¢ a pound.

Target website ... click here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	ham2.jpg
Views:	2182
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	100846  
Old 10-26-2023, 10:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
From Consumer Reports... "Best Spiral Hams for the Holidays"

They rated:
1. Target's Market Pantry Hickory Smoked Spiral-Cut Bone-In Ham - Editor's Choice
2. Appleton Farms Spiral Cut Double-Glazed Ham (Bone-In) - A Delicious Second Choice
3. Kirkland (Costco) Applewood Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham (Bone-In) - A Popular Pick
4. The HoneyBaked Ham Company Half Ham (Boneless) - An Expensive Dud
5. Member’s Mark (Sam’s Club) Boneless Spiral Brown Sugar Glazed Ham - One to Skip

Presently, I found that Target's website shows the ham in their Clermont (closest) store, at only 99¢ a pound.

Target website ... click here.
Wow, thanks, Ecuadog.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:55 AM

There's a Honey Baked Ham store in the Rolling Acres shopping plaza Village Crossroads, 524 US Hwy 27 #441, Lady Lake, FL 32159
Old 10-27-2023, 09:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Wow, thanks, Ecuadog.
You're quite welcome. Now, can we have your "famous" family potato salad recipe.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
At Sam’s club today had spiral hams (Sam’s brand) under $5.00 a pound. Didn’t pick one up but they sometimes carry the same item at neighborhood and regular Walmart. You can go to their online shopping and see what is available
Old 10-27-2023, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Does Boars Head come as a sliced ham? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but we're not big ham eaters, so I don't keep up with what's available. I would rather not buy thin slices of deli ham, though.
The deli will slice as thick as you want at Publix. Sold by pound. Can order as little as 1/4 pound. They have several flavors. They also have pre-sliced packages available if you don’t want to wait in line. I haven’t been to fresh market for awhile so can’t comment on what they have to offer?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 10-27-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:32 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
If it is the Potato Salad is famous, then any ham will do. What time is dinner?
Old 10-27-2023, 09:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
You're quite welcome. Now, can we have your "famous" family potato salad recipe.
Ha! it's only a legend in our own minds.
How to Make THE BEST Potato Salad Recipe | foodiecrush.com

We don't use the eggs or the Miracle Whip. We use red onion. We throw the vinegar into the dressing. There's a brand of mayo in France (Bouton D'Or) that has grainy mustard in it. We're going to have to try to replicate it here, along with adding the other mustard.

It's all in how my husband chops everything up. Everything holds its shape. When I do it, it's all mush.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
At Sam’s club today had spiral hams (Sam’s brand) under $5.00 a pound. Didn’t pick one up but they sometimes carry the same item at neighborhood and regular Walmart. You can go to their online shopping and see what is available
This seems like a plan. Despite the information sent by Ecuadog listing Target as best, it appears not to be available at our Target. So I'm on to second chances.

There will be Chilean Sea Bass, Quiche, Salmon tranches, Mushroom Pasta, and Ahi Tuna for other meals in case the ham is a bust.

Tags
ham, honeybaked, sugar, coating, 4-6

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.