Old 10-28-2023, 05:16 AM
Veteran member

Tell them to eat whatever you serve.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This seems like a plan. Despite the information sent by Ecuadog listing Target as best, it appears not to be available at our Target. So I'm on to second chances.

There will be Chilean Sea Bass, Quiche, Salmon tranches, Mushroom Pasta, and Ahi Tuna for other meals in case the ham is a bust.
Did you look on Amazon for your mayo/mustard? We did go to the Honeybaked store here in TV, for a small Turkey and their ham, (about 4.5 pounds each) in March. The Turkey while pricey, was excellent. The ham was just not great, had a texture that our boys described as mealy, not as solid as usual. Taste was ok, but really threw you off on the texture. Total cost $80 with a $10 off coupon.

I called the store spoke with the manager, he did say there were a couple of reviews with the texture issue, but didn’t expand on any problems.

Maybe HoneyBaked is sliding the same way as all of Bob Evans products. Parent was management for Bob Evans 35 years, we had eaten food from there weekly.

When Bob Evens sold, the new company Immediately changed the sausage recipe, which then changed the sausage gravy. Not one of our family eats their products. Not that it’s bad, it just too different from the product we grew up with.

Try a different ham may be worth the change
Old 10-28-2023, 07:10 AM

In the past, Aldi has had great spiral hams.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Tell them to eat whatever you serve.
Agree. My mother always said, "you're lucky to be fed".
Old 10-28-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You can buy spiral sliced hams in any of the grocery stores, but, in my opinion, the Honeybaked hams are worth the extra cost. Buy a large bone-in half ham and make bean soup with the leftovers. There is no preparation and no heating, you just eat the ham as is.
There is a honeybaked ham store in La Plaza Grande on 441. At least there was one the last time I was over there.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:23 AM

Sam's brand.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
We have kids coming soon, driving down from Michigan. They want ham and our "famous" family potato salad for their arrival. Can anyone recommend a smoked ham they like as well or nearly as well as Honeybaked? We don't care about the sugar coating, and their ham for 4-6 people is $64. I think this will end up as sandwiches, so I'm thinking we could go with something less than Honeybaked.

No, but, would you please share your "famous potato salad" recipe if it isn't a family secret?
Old 10-28-2023, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We have kids coming soon, driving down from Michigan. They want ham and our "famous" family potato salad for their arrival. Can anyone recommend a smoked ham they like as well or nearly as well as Honeybaked? We don't care about the sugar coating, and their ham for 4-6 people is $64. I think this will end up as sandwiches, so I'm thinking we could go with something less than Honeybaked.
Sams has good ham. At least they do up north so I assume here too. You get the real taste of good ham meat and not all that sugar coated junk on it. Doesn’t need it cause it’s so good. They may have the sugar coated as well. I just never eat the stuff so I don’t look for it.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Sams has good ham. At least they do up north so I assume here too. You get the real taste of good ham meat and not all that sugar coated junk on it. Doesn’t need it cause it’s so good. They may have the sugar coated as well. I just never eat the stuff so I don’t look for it.
You could be assuming wrong…
Old 10-28-2023, 08:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
You're quite welcome. Now, can we have your "famous" family potato salad recipe.
Quote:
Ha! it's only a legend in our own minds.
How to Make THE BEST Potato Salad Recipe | foodiecrush.com

We don't use the eggs or the Miracle Whip. We use red onion. We throw the vinegar into the dressing. There's a brand of mayo in France (Bouton D'Or) that has grainy mustard in it. We're going to have to try to replicate it here, along with adding the other mustard.

Thank you very much.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:43 AM
Default Publix

Go to Publix. Get the best spiral-cut ham they have. Very close to Honeybaked at half the price. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:26 AM
Default Costco Hams

We really like the spiral cut hams from Costco. Way cheaper than HoneyBaked Ham.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:45 AM
Default Ham!

Just went to Sam's yesterday, they have smallish spiral sliced hams for $2.98 per pound. I have had their hams in the past, they are very good.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell View Post
Sam's brand.
Never was fan of stores that I have to pay to walk in front door.
Old 10-28-2023, 11:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

I must agree with recommendation of ALDI although it was a mistake boneless spiral cut, bone in was preferred. This was at Thanksgiving last year as an extra side. Returned to pick another up for Christmas none restocked. Picked another choice bone in was equally good.
Seems like Smithfield is the predominate supplier of most hams.
The secret is just warming it and not to overcook them.
Closed Thread

Tags
ham, honeybaked, sugar, coating, 4-6

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.