Hot dogs! What kind is your fav and recipe for con carne sauce?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Sage

Default Hot dogs! What kind is your fav and recipe for con carne sauce?

Now before the usual lecture me on preserved meats, we don't have them often, maybe once every couple of months but I have changed my choices for which is the best since moving here. Oscar Meyer is no longer my favorite weiner, now we buy Nathans or Hebrew National. I would like to find a recipe for the meat sauce like we had at home and can't find one that is JUST right.

Also what other things do you put on your hot dog and what kind of bun do you use? I like raw onion and yellow mustard. Do you boil or grill or fry or even bake?

Old 08-04-2018, 12:04 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hot Dogs are very regional. We originally hail from Western NY....if you were from Buffalo you bought Sahlen's, Rochester you bought Zweigle's and if you were from Syracuse you bought Hoffman's. For years whenever we flew back, we would return with 20 pounds of frozen Hot Dogs in our carry on.

Now we really like the big 100% Beef hot dogs Costco sells, their Kirkland brand. I like potato rolls, mustard, and sometimes dill relish or cheddar cheese. Bacon is always an upgrade on most anything. Grilling is the best....I even sometimes grill them with my pellet grill, which gives a nice wood smoked flavor to them.

Gracie, you're the best! Frank D.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Sage

Hebrew National
But if you know another brand that tastes and "chews" like Hebrew National let me know. On a good hot dog everything tastes good----i like frying onions and sour krout fried together
Old 08-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Gold member

Location: Bridgeport CT; Boston, Winthrop, Dorchester, Canton, Provincetown MA; Village of Hadley

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Now before the usual lecture me on preserved meats, we don't have them often, maybe once every couple of months but I have changed my choices for which is the best since moving here. Oscar Meyer is no longer my favorite weiner, now we buy Nathans or Hebrew National. I would like to find a recipe for the meat sauce like we had at home and can't find one that is JUST right.

Also what other things do you put on your hot dog and what kind of bun do you use? I like raw onion and yellow mustard. Do you boil or grill or fry or even bake?
Gracie, dear, I’m with . Chopped raw onions and Grey Poupon. Chili dogs, not so much.

I like grilled with a New England bun (opens at the top), toasted. However, in a hurry, put the dog on a bun, wrap in a paper towel and micro for 30-40 seconds.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Gold member

Here is a photo of a Portillo’s hot dog,
I grew up in Chicago and there were push cart guys that sold dogs fixed like this even before Portillo’s.
Kosher beef dog on poppy seed bun, garnished with bright green relish, slice of dill pickle,
slices of tomato, mustard, chopped onion sprinkled with celery salt.
Sport peppers are optional!
This is my personal favorite!
Attached Thumbnails
306eb66e-e8c3-4e25-844a-72fb7912fdd6-jpg  
Hebrew National
Old 08-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

Talking Hebrew National

Years ago I learned that animal parts are used in most hot dogs, and may include skin, lips, pig snouts, organs, fat, and other parts of animal bodies.

This sounded so unappetizing that I cut back severely on ,my intake of hot dogs. Then I saw advertising for Hebrew National hot dogs. They are all beef, so no pig snouts. They also claim that they use only "choice cuts" of beef, so maybe no lips, eyelids, etc.

Nothing special about the hot dog buns I use, just off the shelf buns in the grocery store. I generally include mustard, fresh cut onions and relish on the whole thing. Sometimes some ketchup.

If I'm going to put chili on the hot dog, I like to use the chili which can be purchased in cans at Steak and Shake. I still add fresh cut onions.

Yummy.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Tony Packo's or Rudy's hot dog sauce from Toledo.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 08-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Location: Bridgeport CT; Boston, Winthrop, Dorchester, Canton, Provincetown MA; Village of Hadley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Here is a photo of a Portillo’s hot dog,
I grew up in Chicago and there were push cart guys that sold dogs fixed like this even before Portillo’s.
Kosher beef dog on poppy seed bun, garnished with bright green relish, slice of dill pickle,
slices of tomato, mustard, chopped onion sprinkled with celery salt.
Sport peppers are optional!
This is my personal favorite!
What are sport peppers?

P.S. I’m surprised at the popularity of chopped onions.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
What are sport peppers?

P.S. I’m surprised at the popularity of chopped onions.
Should be chopped sweet white onions,
sport peppers are smaller and kind of hot, therefore they are optional.
Attached Thumbnails
a3c98ec1-c7d4-4479-9878-a42760158ed0-jpg  
Old 08-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Sage

It depends on whether you are looking for Cincinnati chili or regular. I love the chili dogs at Scooples. Best I have had anywhere.
Closed Thread

Tags
find, hot, sauce, kind, recipe