Meatball recipes.

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,086 Posts
Default Meatball recipes.

Does anyone have any good meatball (Italian) recipes?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,442 Times in 2,336 Posts

We always used the meatloaf mix (beef, veal, pork), eggs, seasoned breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and typically, some garlic, and other spices. I will need to dig through my grandmothers recipes to see if I can find the exact mix.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We always used the meatloaf mix (beef, veal, pork), eggs, seasoned breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and typically, some garlic, and other spices. I will need to dig through my grandmothers recipes to see if I can find the exact mix.
My Nana almost always added raisins to her meatballs.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage

Try making half with bread crumbs and half with crackers. I like the crackers better.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

ground chuck
bread crumbs
parsley
eggs
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
pecorino romano cheese
garlic
grated onion

Wish that I could give you measurements, but I can't. After you make them a few times you will figure it out. I never precook the meatballs in the oven or a frying pan. I shape them and plop them directly in the gravy. Do keep a low flame and not stir them for an hour or so, or else they will fall apart. You must also have some sort of pork in the gravy too such as sausage or pork chops.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Platinum member

I use:
Ground beef and ground pork (mix)
I egg beaten w/ a little water
Italian breadcrumbs (plain)- one can grate a stale Italian bread loaf, if desired.
Dried parsley or fresh Italian parsley, chopped fine
Garlic salt (to taste) or dehydrated, chopped garlic, then salt.
Grated hard Italian cheese, such as: Parmesan, Grana Padano, Asiago. ( I love Romano, but not in this recipe)

I mix my meat and egg in a large bowl with my hands, then sprinkle each remaining ingredient in turn across the raw meat to cover. I mix them in one ingredient at a time.
I do not measure. Experience will tell you how much of each you'd like to use.

I wet my hands, form each meatball (small ones) and drop them raw into my pot of red sauce (that is cooking)
I do not stir the pot, but give it a shake or two now and then.
I skim the sauce, or refrigerate it overnight to lift the fat off before serving.

I also make these meatballs for my Italian wedding soup. In that case, I form them very small, spoon sized.... and sometimes (scantly) add coarse ground black pepper to the mix.

One of my many 'adopted' Italian Grandmas taught me this method. Tender, flavorful meatballs every time.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
I use:
Ground beef and ground pork (mix)
I egg beaten w/ a little water
Italian breadcrumbs (plain)- one can grate a stale Italian bread loaf, if desired.
Dried parsley or fresh Italian parsley, chopped fine
Garlic salt (to taste) or dehydrated, chopped garlic, then salt.
Grated hard Italian cheese, such as: Parmesan, Grana Padano, Asiago. ( I love Romano, but not in this recipe)

I mix my meat and egg in a large bowl with my hands, then sprinkle each remaining ingredient in turn across the raw meat to cover. I mix them in one ingredient at a time.
I do not measure. Experience will tell you how much of each you'd like to use.

I wet my hands, form each meatball (small ones) and drop them raw into my pot of red sauce (that is cooking)
I do not stir the pot, but give it a shake or two now and then.
I skim the sauce, or refrigerate it overnight to lift the fat off before serving.

I also make these meatballs for my Italian wedding soup. In that case, I form them very small, spoon sized.... and sometimes (scantly) add coarse ground black pepper to the mix.

One of my many 'adopted' Italian Grandmas taught me this method. Tender, flavorful meatballs every time.

Uptown- sounds wonderful and I will have to try this. We put the pork in the meat sauce, along with the beef. Only beef in the meatballs.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.