How do you prepare tilapia?

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I enjoy trying local delicacies wherever I am. While in Florida I particularly enjoy Pompano which is found in warm Atlantic coastal waters. It is a delicate fish so I prefer it freshly caught, not frozen. Florida pompano - Wikipedia

Perhaps Pompano might be available at Publix at certain times of the year.
If anyone has ever found fresh Pompano available in The Villages area, please tell me where! I used to get it at a fishmonger's in Bradenton Beach area. Grilled it on tinfoil, and the skin would come right off. It is a delicious fish.

Also, we used to go to a restaurant on Boca Grande that had it. But you had to call ahead to see if they got it in that day and place an order for it in advance. That made me think it is not readily available.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

I believe the taste preferences of most people form during their childhoods. In my family all except my father prefer our red meat, whether beef or lamb, to be on the rare side. My son and daughter like their steaks (and even lamb) bloody red in the center, very rare. I prefer mine medium rare, mostly pink, possibly with a touch of red at the center.

My father, who was born in 1898 grew up before modern refrigeration was even invented and pure food and drug laws came into existence. He wanted his red meat cooked until it turned all gray - probably from growing up eating it cooked that much for safety reasons. Moreover, he refused to eat fish of any kind. He grew up in Brooklyn and swam at the docks. He told me he saw bodies retrieved which had been partially eaten by fish and that was why he could not bring himself to eat fish.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I know you to not eat meat, C.

So I am surprised you eat lamb and would skip "my beef".

I am very surprised at people not liking Chuck Roast. If people know to cook Chuck Roast and Brisket, low and slow, they will find them to be succulent and tender, and a generous marbling of fat, not only adds flavor but renders down. I use a packet of dry lipton onion soup mix, add about a half a cup of water to my trusty Dutch oven. I think the Chuck Roast yesterday was about three pounds. I put it in the oven at 275 with the lid tightly on and didn't look at it again for five hours... and it was very tender and not stringy at all. Every one went back for seconds.

I am quite astonished to hear other people's view on foods I have eaten all of my life. Chuck Roast was chosen for sauerbraten as well.

I had an aunt that seemed always to serve any kind of meat so tough and chewy that it made you tired to chew it. I consider myself to be a decent cook.

I prepare a leg of lamb by inserting many, many, many garlic cloves into the meat and adding rosemary. Again I cook it low and slow. Rare meat isn't enjoyed by my crew. We do serve with mint jelly.
It's not your beef, GG. I just don't care for the taste of any beef. My father was English; we were raised on leg of lamb with mint jelly. It's a different taste that I love... maybe three times a decade now. Back when I did eat meat, I made leg of lamb just like you do.

The rest of your Easter dinner sounded great!
Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Bake with a generous slathering of Hellmann's mayonnaise and some garlic powder.

I am still not over being put down because I use Velveeta cheese.
Quote:
Please, Velveeta is NOT cheese! It is merely a processed cheese product. Velveeta - Wikipedia
Quote:
Today we had roast beef, slowly cooked chuck roast, tender and delicious. Mashed potatoes and gravy, yeast rolls, slaw with lime juice and mayonnaise and sugar and pineapple. Broccoli casserole, Sweet potato casserole with brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Velveeta and a "generous" slathering of mayo can both be placed in the same category.
A slight coating of mayo is adequate; butter is better.

A chuck roast is not roast beef, particularly if the Dutch oven has a cover on it when being cooked. There is a big difference.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Velveeta and a "generous" slathering of mayo can both be placed in the same category.
A slight coating of mayo is adequate; butter is better.

A chuck roast is not roast beef, particularly if the Dutch oven has a cover on it when being cooked. There is a big difference.
Sez here it is Roast Beef.
Classic Beef Pot Roast Recipe | MyRecipes
Old 04-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Back on topic, sort of... there are conflicting opinions about whether tilapia is bad for you or not. Consider this: Tilapia: Eat Facts, Not Fiction - About Seafood

It's such a mild fish. I would VERY lightly dust with flour seasoned with a little paprika, pan-saute it in a little butter-olive oil mixture, and add a splash of white wine and lemon juice.
Thank-you for the link. I figured as a fish that is raised properly it would be good to eat and easy to flavor. From the get go I said I was late in the game. My new problem is deciding whether or not what I'm buying is a farm fish that is swimming in antibiotics and eating whatever the other fish in the tank are offering. I feel like the guy carrying the stretcher in this scene:
Old 04-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
If you need backup I'm always available 24/7 to sample. Dat's the way my momma make Roast Beef also.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Platinum member
Talking Truly Tasteless Talapia

Quote:
I find Talapia to be a mild white fish. Not fishy at all. Here are some other ideas, Tomwed.

Tilapia Recipes - Allrecipes.com
The advantage of preparing Talapia is that it is virtually tasteless. Accordingly, you add spices, garnishes, and sides to make it whatever kind of meal you want it to be.

When I dine on a really good tasting fish, like Red Fish, Grouper, or Cat Fish, I may have a bit of ketchup or tartar sauce on the side, just enough to wet the tines of my fork.

Similarly, when I eat steak in a restaurant and the server asks if I want A-1 or some other steak sauce, my answer is "Only if there is something wrong with the steak."
Old 04-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage

Here Tomwed is how my family likes Talapia;

Tilapia With Mayonnaise And Parmesan Cheese Recipe - Genius Kitchen

Sometimes I add a little garlic powder.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I use Zatarains Blackened seasoning. If I run out of my own seasoning for fish, chicken shrimp.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
That is a recipe for POT roast.

Chuck and brisket are tough sinewy meats and are best prepared in a covered dish to soften them. This is known as braising. Braising - Wikipedia The better cuts of beef are best dry roasted (no lid). Roasting: To Cover or Not to Cover -- That is the Question - Denver7 TheDenverChannel.com

True roast beef is dry roasted and typically top round roast, top sirloin roast, bottom round roast or eye of round roast. https://www.asweetpeachef.com/roast-beef/

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:

Chuck and brisket are tough sinewy meats and are best prepared in a covered dish to soften them. This is known as braising. Braising - Wikipedia The better cuts of beef are best dry roasted (no lid). Roasting: To Cover or Not to Cover -- That is the Question - Denver7 TheDenverChannel.com

True roast beef is dry roasted and typically top round roast, top sirloin roast, bottom round roast or eye of round roast. https://www.asweetpeachef.com/roast-beef/
You roast your beef your way and I'll roast my beef my way.

Mine is cheaper and soooooooooooo delicious. The article you linked above summarizes nicely;

"You'll be amazed just how easy, and rewarding, braised dinners are to prepare. Pick out the right cut, break out a heavy pot and fill your house with the aroma of a braised entrée this week -- there's nothing better on a cold winter's eve! "
Old 04-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage

Hey Gracie, it's all good. Culinary variety is a spice of life! (pun intended)

Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Quote:

Manabout -- Thank you for reaffirming my comment #34.

Yes, the beef recipe (above) mentioned first is a pot roast, not roast beef.

A pot roast can be made in the oven or on top of the range and always is made with the lid on.

Roast beef is made in the oven and never with a lid.
A huge difference in cost, taste, visual appearance and method.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:31 PM

My mom always cooked her chuck roast in a Dutch oven with Lipton onion soup. I cook my chuck roast in the crock pot with onion soup, small red potatoes, celery and carrots. Velveeta was also a staple in our house. I thought it was one of the food groups! (just kidding)
Closed Thread

Tags
tilapia, prepare, lemon, wine, chicken

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.