How are things in guacamole? (I know how to make the sangria to go with it.)

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts
Default How are things in guacamole? (I know how to make the sangria to go with it.)

Sangria Season is open. That I know how to make. I want to make some guacamole to go with the sangria.

I want to serve the beautiful green guacamole with those funny looking blue corn chips that look like you forgot all about them for several months and so they turned that rather odd color while they were abandoned in the back of the bread box.

I bought some stuff called Wholly Guacamole and it was OK. But I decided I need to make my own. I have been looking at recipes on the internet. But there are just too many out there. So I thought I would ask the TOTVers if anybody has a guacamole recipe with a short ingredients list and just a little kick but not a big kick.

Here's how I make sangria...

Get out the prettiest glass pitcher.

Put some fresh fruit in it, maybe some berries, some oranges, some cherries, limes, whatever looks good.

Now, here's the best part. Add Grand Marnier. I never measure it so I don't know what to say here. Maybe a half cup, maybe a little more, maybe a lot more. Oh you'll know what looks right to stir up with the fruit and kind of blend it around. (And you know how Grand Marnier smells absolutely wonderful so I like to dab a little behind my ears, too.)

After you have kind of stirred the fruit and the Grand Marnier, fill the pitcher with red wine and gently stir it all. I usually use lambrusco but you could use other kinds of red wine, too. Sometimes I use something a little dry.

I serve it in a nice size glass over ice. After it has been poured into the glass, you can add a little splash of 7-Up if you want to.

There are lots of ways to make sangria. I used to use brandy instead of Grand Marnier.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-28-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Darn it. I forgot to put that little wine picture on and now I can't find it. Oh well.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Platinum member
Default The secret to great guacamole!

Whatever you do, don't put the avocados in a blender or food processor. I like to use about 4 avocados and mash lightly with a fork leaving plenty of "chunks". I have found a dry mix in the produce department of Food Lion that makes a great guacamole! Just mix it with your chunky avocados, leave in frig for about 30 mins and serve.
I don't know the name of the mix but it has a picture of guacamole on the front and you use about one envelope to 2 avocados. Everyone loves it and thinks I went to a lot of trouble but we like it better than scratch. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Banned

This recipe makes quite a lot. Cut it in half for a reasonable amount.

4 ripe Haas avocados
3 T freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
8 dashes hot pepper sauce
½ cup small diced red onion (1 small onion)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 t kosher salt
1 t pepper
1 medium tomato, seeded and small diced

Cut the avocados in ½, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl (you can use your hands). Immediately add the lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and toss well. Using a sharp knife, slice through the avocados in the bowl until they are finely diced. Add the tomatoes. Mix well and taste for salt and pepper.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Best Guacamole ever

1 very ripe Haas avacado
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 rounded tablespoon sour cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons or more green chili salsa

blend in a food processor until the right consistency and serve with chips.

Always a hit, never any left over, and very easy to make.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Sage

Sangria

Great idea with the Grand Marnier. I will try that. I make mine following any good recipe but also add limoncello. Extra punch and the fresh lemon flavor puts me in an "Under the Tuscan Sun" kind of mood. yum
Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Sam's Club sells a box of 3 packages of guacamole in their produce department...it's a great time saver! I keep it in the freezer and when we get unexpected company, I thaw out a package in the MW, add some chopped red onion, minced jalapenos, some finely chopped tomatoes and a little lemon juice...so little effort and I cannot tell you the compliments that I get on that guacamole...!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 AM

[quote=l2ridehd;267095]Best Guacamole ever

1 very ripe Haas avocado
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 rounded tablespoon sour cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons or more green chili salsa

My version is somewhat similar to this, I like fresh lime juice instead of lemon and I love lots of chopped cilantro, no salsa but a touch of fresh onion, minced. No blender, mash with a fork...and one avocado is never enough! Yum!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Why do I think there is cilantro in guacamole?

Because of reading your post yesterday Boomer, a terrible hunger overcame me and I sent Sweetie out last night to Chipotle for one of their Burrito Bowls with Guacamole on the side. Yum.

He did it, but asked If I was pregnant. I don't think I am.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

Thank you to everybody for the guacamole recipes and suggestions. I have not tried any of them yet. But I will. I think the avocado is one of the "good" fats. I will pretend that it is anyway. But I am a fan of the real sour cream and so that might cancel out the benefit of any good fat. Oh well, it's not like I will have guacamole every day.

I made sangria for company the other night. It was a last minute thing, but if there is time, you can leave the fruit in the Grand Marnier in the refrigerator overnight. But it works fine to do it all at once, too. While I was making the sangria, I offered the Grand Marnier bottle to anybody who wanted to sniff it. (Yes. I am such an elegant hostess. But, c'mon, do not judge me. You know you sniff the Grand Marnier bottle whenever you get the chance.)

And, l2, that limoncello sounds good. It made me think about white sangria. I have never made white sangria, but it sounds like limoncello might really work well for that, too. Or is that a terrible idea? I really don't know. But, if it is a good idea, what kind of white wine would work?

Also, another tip for sangria is that it tastes especially wonderful if you listen to Santana while drinking it on the patio on a beautiful summer evening. And maybe have some guacamole to go with it.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-31-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you to everybody for the guacamole recipes and suggestions. I have not tried any of them yet. But I will. I think the avocado is one of the "good" fats. I will pretend that it is anyway. But I am a fan of the real sour cream and so that might cancel out the benefit of any good fat. Oh well, it's not like I will have guacamole every day.

I made sangria for company the other night. It was a last minute thing, but if there is time, you can leave the fruit in the Grand Marnier in the refrigerator overnight. But it works fine to do it all at once, too. While I was making the sangria, I offered the Grand Marnier bottle to anybody who wanted to sniff it. (Yes. I am such an elegant hostess. But, c'mon, do not judge me. You know you sniff the Grand Marnier bottle whenever you get the chance.)

And, l2, that limoncello sounds good. It made me think about white sangria. I have never made white sangria, but it sounds like limoncello might really work well for that, too. Or is that a terrible idea? I really don't know. But, if it is a good idea, what kind of white wine would work?

Also, another tip for sangria is that it tastes especially wonderful if you listen to Santana while drinking it on the patio on a beautiful summer evening. And maybe have some guacamole to go with it.

Boomer

Yes, Santana would make it all come together rather well!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Why do I think there is cilantro in guacamole?

Because of reading your post yesterday Boomer, a terrible hunger overcame me and I sent Sweetie out last night to Chipotle for one of their Burrito Bowls with Guacamole on the side. Yum.

He did it, but asked If I was pregnant. I don't think I am.
Here in Denver, we use cilantro. It's one of my favorite flavorings.
2 ripe Haas avacadoes
2 finely chopped cloves garlic
about 1/8 c finely chopped onion
about 1/8 c finely chopped cilantro
juice of 1/4 lime
1/2 finely chopped japaleno (optional)
Salt to taste
1 shot fine tequila
chunk up the avacado, add all other ingredients except tequila
If you save the pits, place them in the leftover guac, cover w plastic wrap so the wrap is touching as much surface as possible. It will prevent the guac from oxidizing (turning brown).
For the tequila: lick the 1st knuckle of left hand, sprinkle salt on wet area. Hold tequila shot in left hand, lime wedge in right.
Lick the salt, shoot the tequila, suck the lime! Stay off the golf cart!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Sage

White Sangria should be made with a Riesling, something cheap and slightly sweet. Or a Peisporter Michaelsburg Kabinett works also and is usually around $8 a bottle. And yes the Leminchello goes well with it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.