Low Country Boils, the ULTIMATE...

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Default Low Country Boils, the ULTIMATE...

...Dinnner PARTY !!! WOOOOHOOOO !!! Ever done one ???

Actually more a Social Event and a party, than just...dinner. It's a great way to feed a LOT of people a LOT of REALLY GOOD food and have a really good time without spending HOURS in the kitchen and fortune too!

Throw in some Ice cold "Bottles of Bubbley" (Wine, Beer, Whatever) or some good ole' Southern Sweet Iced Tea, a few loaves of French Bread and a few bottles of hot sauce and MAN...we're eatin' good tonight!

Here's how you do it.
First you need something like a Turkey fryer than runs on LP gas. Then a BIG bucket (ok...pot) with a strainer basket. Some Zatarains Cajun Crab and Shrimp boil spice mix, for starters. Then...the rest is up to you!

Start with whole red potatoes, corn on the cob (usually broken in half or thirds), peeled onions, or anykind of sturdy veggie your heart desires.

Then comes the best part. Shrimp, Sausage (something like the large Kelbasa) Muscles. (in the shell), Clams, Scollops, Lobster tails, Crawfish...I think you get the idea.

When its all cooked up just cover a large table with old newspapers and dump it all out on the table and everybody "DIGS IN" !!! Fingers only!!!

A few bottles of butter (squeezeable kind), some dipping sauces, salt and pepper, and a LOT of paper towels and it's quite an affair for the next hour or two. If you go home hungry it's YOUR fault!

You dont have to use everything I listed in one pot. Mix and match. Come up with your own variations.

It sure is fun and a great way to spend an evening...Socializing with the neighbors!

If you would like some tips on how to "Stage" the ingredients for best results
just let me know.

Try it some time...for a REALLY FUN time!

Dave
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Default What a good time!!

Yes, we've done it and it's great! You just have to remember to put what cooks longest in first and finish w/shrimp for instance. We also cooked mussels and crab legs, and we cooked the mussels in a separate pot with shallots and white wine (wanted to keep their flavors separate), but a lot of what you put in the pot is up to you. It is a great time to share w/friends!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Default Good stuff!!

Ditto here. Have done them often with family. We especially like to add the smoked sausage made here in a country store. I have to agree, it is one fine way to spend an evening with friends n family. And is the food good......Well, it's so good it will make a speckled puppy pull a freight train!!!! Or, you can put some of it on top of your head and watch your tongue slap your brains out to get to it.. Yeah, it's good stuff!!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sounds wonderful! Sadly, not something I can eat. I HATE shellfish allergies. sob

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Oh boy...I really need to learn how to cook. When you said "dump everything on the table"...I thought the FOOD went on the newspaper. But I think I get it now...you put the POTS on the table!?? (right???)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Veteran member

Oh yeah...now you're talkin'! We do it all the time...anywhere from small family gatherings to catering large crowds for beach weddings etc. Great way to kick back and socialize, for sure!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linandvin View Post
Oh boy...I really need to learn how to cook. When you said "dump everything on the table"...I thought the FOOD went on the newspaper. But I think I get it now...you put the POTS on the table!?? (right???)
No...really....you dump the food on the table....a covered with newspaper table, to be exact.....come on - it's fun! And you eat with your hands...yes, it's messy, but some of the best times you'll ever have!! Trust me...
Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Default Shell Fish allergies???...

Wow. What a bummer. I 'am so sorry, especially living in Florida...but there is HOPE !!!

Just do the Sausage and Veggies! You might grill up some Brats on the grill (or anything else for that matter) to go with it. I would NOT boil the brats. They tend to...errrrr....Explode when boiled.

I HAVE heard of people boiling cuts of chicken. Thighs, legs and breasts but I have never tryed it with chicken so I cant say how it turns out.

You have to remember all this stuff is cooking in ONE...VERY BIG pot...in the STRAINER BASKET!!! For Heavens sake DONOT forget the strainer basket!!!

When you lift the strainer basket out of the pot all the water drains off so you have a BIG (5 gallons) basket of food! Yes...DUMP it all out on a table covered with newspaper (nothing in the newspaper or the ink will harm you), let it cool for a few minutes then dive in!

Other variations on the veggies could be Brocolli, Cauliflower, Asparragus (sp) spears, cabbage (whole head just cut in half and cut stem out)...Arichoke heads, just use your imagination.

When you're done (and this is the best part) just roll or wad up all the newspaper, and the stuff on it, and toss it into the garbage can! Quick, simple and easy! No fuss, No muss no dirty dishes to cuss (at)!

And yes...it IS FUN !!!

I'll see if I can find a video and show you just how easy it is.

Dave
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM

OK, BeeGee, I actually chuckled when I read it was for real. Can't say it's not good until we try it! When the opportunity presents itself, we'll give it a whirl! Probably a lot of fun!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.