Making your own bread

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Anyone find a gluten free recipe?
There are lots of gluten-free recipes on at King Arthur Flour - Try it Once, Trust it Always. Click on recipes, then gluten-free.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Sage

Although I absolutely loved the bread when I went to toast it, it didn't toast all that well. It wasn't light enough and was a little bit dense. Still absolutely awesome though. Does someone know maybe I needed to bake it a minute or two longer? Would that solve it? I baked it on the low end of the range that was called for because it was perfectly brown. Any suggestions?
Old 05-09-2015, 12:19 PM

I used to make the sour dough bread and had tons of recipes. Not sure where they are right now but am sure I still have them. I also made bread in the bread machine a lot and have several real good recipes--not dry and heavy. It is in a word document. If anyone wants it private email me and I will forward the recipes for the bread machine. I am going to have to pull my bread machine out again and start using it.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Platinum member

The water heats up, steams and helps,the crust firm up.. Saw this on pbs last week.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Vanilla bean paste at Fresh Market? I have looked there for it but not found it. I did buy some special vanilla bean crush from KA but haven't used it yet. It has vanilla beans and seeds in the syrup. Supposed to be really good in cookies & cakes. Shop for vanillas | King Arthur Flour
Yes, it is in the pasta isle where they sell the baking items at the beginning of the isle. As you start down the isle look on the right where they sell the vanilla. It is a brown bottle from Nielsen-Massey labeled at the bottom: Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste. $7.99
I use this for every recipe that requires vanilla. When I go up north I pick up a few bottles at Market Basket as I can get it a few dollars less. I go through a lot vanilla. Another item that KA sells that is worth picking up is their Vietnamese Cinnamon. One whiff of that and you know you have a great product for your baking needs. I make my own granola every week so the cinnamon and vanilla help make it so tasty along with the honey I pick up at Bownwood.
There is so much you can do in the kitchen. Have fun with it.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa & Giggi View Post
Yes, it is in the pasta isle where they sell the baking items at the beginning of the isle. As you start down the isle look on the right where they sell the vanilla. It is a brown bottle from Nielsen-Massey labeled at the bottom: Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste. $7.99
I use this for every recipe that requires vanilla. When I go up north I pick up a few bottles at Market Basket as I can get it a few dollars less. I go through a lot vanilla. Another item that KA sells that is worth picking up is their Vietnamese Cinnamon. One whiff of that and you know you have a great product for your baking needs. I make my own granola every week so the cinnamon and vanilla help make it so tasty along with the honey I pick up at Bownwood.
Thanks, I'll look for it. I have the Vietnamese cinnamon from Penzeys. I stocked up the last time we went north. It is awesome; puts grocery store cinnamon to shame.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa & Giggi View Post
I'll definitely get some of that Vanilla paste. I sent hubby to the store this week for vanilla and he brought me imitation vanilla extract. Said that was all they had at Winn Dixie.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I'll definitely get some of that Vanilla paste. I sent hubby to the store this week for vanilla and he brought me imitation vanilla extract. Said that was all they had at Winn Dixie.
Well, like hubby's everywhere, he was probably looking in the wrong place. (Which is why my own hubby takes the cell phone with him when he goes to the store with one of my lists!) I have bought real vanilla at Winn Dixie Pinellas.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance;1058***
Well, like hubby's everywhere, he was probably looking in the wrong place. (Which is why my own hubby takes the cell phone with him when he goes to the store with one of my lists!) I have bought real vanilla at Winn Dixie Pinellas.
Good to know. Thanks so much. My husband used to hate to go to the store with one of my lists. Now we have downloaded an App for our I-phones. I have synched our two phones together and now we share a shopping list. It's called "Buy me a Pie" shopping list. You can color code the items by department and as you put an item in the cart, you touch the item and it goes down to the purchased area. Makes it very quick to do your shopping.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Sage

Those are great. We use a similar one for Android called Out of Milk. What a joy not to be scratching things off a list with a pencil or pen. How retro!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.