Ovens & Crockpots & Mashed Potatoes, Oh My!

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Ovens & Crockpots & Mashed Potatoes, Oh My!

I don't know about you, but as we find ourselves in these historic times, all I want to do is make a big pot of mashed potatoes, put about a pound of butter in, and just sit down in front of some silly old television sitcom.

I mostly just want to carb out. But then sometimes, I want to make that Coke Cake I just read about here and just eat it all by myself.

And I think about melted cheese a lot, too.

I have been going to put one of those healthy-type recipes on that I get from that Dr. Weil newsletter, the one with all those beans in it. Beans all over the place. And although I like beans a lot, lately I just want to smother them in sour cream. Lots and lots of sour cream.

And I also am thinking a lot about big hunks of red meat. Or maybe even the best meatballs ever. (We have been so virtuous lately with all the fish we have been eating.)

Mr. Boomer will be so happy that I am in this mode. I have told you before that the only woman in the world that I fear he would leave me for is Paula Deen. I find myself getting ready to dig out that Paula Deen cookbook. Mr. Boomer will be so glad.

So if you know exactly the feeling that I am talking about -- when comfort food is what it just has to be. I hope you will share your favorite recipes or suggestions. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-10-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:49 AM

I so agree except my stomach is in such knots that I can't keep anything down. Maybe I can call this the stock market diet.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Platinum member

How about a Pot Roast...with gravy, roasted potatoes and carrots....

Then there is always a BIG turkey....stuffing....those mashed potatoes Boomer was talking about....some more gravy....and green bean casserole~

Pumpkin Pie for dessert....or I will have to dig out my recipe for
TEXAS Chocolate Cake...it is divine...especially with vanilla ice cream

Suzy Toronto
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Well Boomer,

Now you have done it, I just told my cooking half (I'm the eating half) to get the MacFredo going, his special Mac and Cheese, my favorite comfort food. For Dessert Killer Chocolate Bundt Cake, or Butt Cake.

So much for eating healthy today.

The only thing that will be going up at this rate is my weight.

The market made me eat it.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Platinum member

So now I can't stop thinking about it...

How about some home baked bread...right out of the oven....with loads of butter....

This is SO NOT good....but I am sure I will be back....wondering if talking about food will make us not eat it...so keep talking...

Suzy Toronto
Old 10-10-2008, 02:53 PM

I made a bubbly Shepherd's Pie this week and Honey and I ate it in two days. Woe is us. I thought it was because it got so cool up here in RI. Maybe it's a calendar thing.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Gold member

Boomer, comfort food is what I need right now... that's IT! Comfort food! A huge bowl of my homemade chili with a great big ole dollop of sour cream and a loaf of the freshest Italian bread with all the butter you mentioned. I feel better already!! (But then the market did a little bounce at the end of the day so maybe that is where the elation is coming from, sigh... )
Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Platinum member

OK....so I found the recipe for the cake....had the baker/cook of the home make it....

this will be dinner....

Boomer...I have never talked about food so much in one afternoon....this could be worse for me than the political forum......

I promise...after I eat "dinner"...I will post the recipe....the best of the best...although you will have to order the cocoa from williams and senoma....
butter, sour cream....

Oh heck....just come over for dinner!

Suzy Toronto
Old 10-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Location: Utica, New York, Plantation, Florida, The Villages, Florida

Okay Cassie....where is that recipe.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Soaring Parsley
Default Now, this is for your own good

OK.

I started this earlier today to distract myself from the troubles at hand. It is all so surreal. I spent yesterday evening with friends I can actually see, and we laughed a lot together. That always feels good. Of course, there were Margaritas involved.

But still, it feels good to laugh.

I seem to have become the self-appointed Queen of Quotations lately. I saw one the other day that said, "Laughter is an instant vacation." Milton Berle said that one. And I also saw one that said, "Sermons are better lived than preached." Well, that one was from Cowboy Wisdom. . . Boy, I sure digress.

Back to the subject at hand.

Anyway, this morning I started this up because comfort food was on my mind. Still is.

But I decided that I would stick this Dr. Weil recipe in here. Now, of course, it does not qualify as coming even close to the glorious stuff we have been talking about here, but it actually tastes pretty good, for something that is supposed to be so good for you.

You all remember Dr. Weil don't you? He has that big white beard that although it is not exactly Z. Z. Topp, it always looks to me like it needs a little trimming.

When I see Dr. Weil's picture, I seem to recall that he was the guy who used to show up on PBS, always wearing some hideous sweater, and then he would try to make me send him money. (At least I think he's the guy.)

Anyway, here is the recipe, and it is so easy you will not believe it.

"Roasted Red Peppers, White Beans, and Pesto"

1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers, cut in strips
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. prepared pesto

Mix up the first 3 ingredients and cook over low heat to warm through.

Stir in the pesto.

Makes two servings.

You're done.

This may just be one of the fastest things I have ever done. It has a decent hit of protein so it sticks to your ribs for awhile. Mr. Boomer keeps trying to make me put a bunch of Italian sausage in it. But I won't. I am not sure how it would taste really. And I am afraid of Dr. Weil.

So there you are -- for your own good. And not bad, not bad at all.

Now, bring on the real stuff.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-10-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

I think Coconuts is right, it's a calendar thing! I always want to have heavier "comfort" food when the weather starts to cool down. It's nature's way of fattening us up to survive the cold winter. So here is my family's favorite fattening up food: my lasagna! And I don't spare the calories! Sharp cheddar, mozzarella, swiss, ricotta, cottage cheese, parmesan and romano. Ground chuck and spaghetti sauce with the lasagna noodles. Layer it all and bake until melted. Yum!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Platinum member

Ok...well you lost me at the points of it being "good for me" ....YUK!!!

Boomer...margarita's are a GREAT start....but you really need a good, southern, buttery, home cooked, not really good for you meal....

Not really sure where you can find that here...except the TEXAS CHOCOLATE CAKE WAS SO GOOD......OH WAIT...IT IS SO GOOD...I AM STILL EATING IT...

Oh darn....it is 11:30 pm on a Friday night and I am still eating dinner!!!

Perhaps it is because my parents arrived at 8:30....and now I am regressing to childhood....need comfort food....anyone have that Shepherd's pie available???? I have the dessert....oh wait....last piece....oops....S will have to make more!!!

Suzy Toronto
Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1 View Post
I think Coconuts is right, it's a calendar thing! I always want to have heavier "comfort" food when the weather starts to cool down. It's nature's way of fattening us up to survive the cold winter. So here is my family's favorite fattening up food: my lasagna! And I don't spare the calories! Sharp cheddar, mozzarella, swiss, ricotta, cottage cheese, parmesan and romano. Ground chuck and spaghetti sauce with the lasagna noodles. Layer it all and bake until melted. Yum!!!!
I think there is something to that survival mode thing.

Have you ever noticed that when asked by a hostess in a restaurant, "Table or booth?" -- most of us say booth. I know I do. I have heard that it is because of our primitive days when food was hard to come by. So when we found it, we had to hide and eat it. A primitive lot we all still may be.

I also have been overwhelmed somewhat with the desire to organize everything in my house, including the basement.

And I am looking seriously at a plaid fabric sample.

How are those things connected? -- you might be wondering at this late hour when Boomer can sound so totally nuts.

Well, maybe the organizing is because it would be something over which to be able to have a little control.

And the same with the plaid. I have heard that it comes into fashion in difficult times because it is such an orderly pattern.

Psych 101 for me tonight it looks like.

But I am still thinking about cheese and more cheese and chocolate too and those wonderful real mashed potatoes and all. You know, to keep up my strength for all that organizing. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Boomer
Old 10-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Default 5 Minute Chocolate in a Mug Cake

OK, if you're really feeling like you need a special lift, try this:

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE (at those "splurge" moments):

1 Coffee Mug

4 tablespoons flour(that's plain flour, not self-rising)

4 tablespoons sugar (or other)

2 tablespoons baking cocoa

1 egg (or substitute)

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil (olive, etc....olive is actually very good in cakes)

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well . Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. Can be shared if you want.

ENJOY!

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Boom, my Cincinnati princess. We must celebrate the pig.

Here is a fabulous quick pork chop recipe.

I used boneless, not thin, but not so thick like you'd stuff 'em, pork chops. Recipe is for six.

Sit tight.

Melt a little butter. Half a stick is all for six pork chops.

In a separate bowl,crush up about 1/2 sleeve of Ritz crackers, add a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese. (the kind you shake on spaghetti) garlic salt. Not very much??, JUST a pinch of dried oregano and basil.

Dip them babies into the melted butter and then roll 'em around in the crumb mixture and bake them for about 40 minutes at 400.

YUM O

Calorie content. Don't ask.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-12-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.