Ovens & Crockpots & Mashed Potatoes, Oh My!

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Boom, my Cincinnati princess. We must celebrate the pig.

Here is a fabulous quick pork chop recipe.

I used boneless, not thin, but not so thick like you'd stuff 'em, pork chops. Recipe is for six.

Sit tight.

Melt a little butter. Half a stick is all for six pork chops.

In a separate bowl,crush up about 1/2 sleeve of Ritz crackers, add a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese. (the kind you shake on spaghetti) garlic salt. Not very much??, JUST a pinch of dried oregano and basil.

Dip them babies into the melted butter and then roll 'em around in the crumb mixture and bake them for about 40 minutes at 400.

YUM O

Calorie content. Don't ask.
Good morning,

GG, that looks all too wonderful. Basil is one of my favorites and Ritz crackers I think may be one of the Wonders of the World. (although I gotta tellya. I have wondered about that weird apple pie recipe that used to be on the back of the box when I was a kid. I do not even know if it is still there. I never tried it. But an apple pie without apples??? Well, wouldn't that be like a "day without sunshine"? Or morning for me without coffee as I sit here in the kitchen and write this stuff.) But I digress -- what a surprise, huh.

Anyway, I am about to digress again. (The girl can't help it.)

So anyway, again, to those of you who have not given up on reading this:

In case you are wondering what Graciegirl means when she said that we must celebrate the pig, well, here goes:

Gracie and I are both Cincinnati girls. And sometimes we talk Cincinnati. (You know, in Cincinnati we say, "Please" where others would say, "Pardon me, I did not hear what you said." Or where some might just say, "Huh?"

Oh and we are the town about which Mark Twain once said, "If the world is coming to an end, go to Cincinnati because everything happens 20 years later in Cincinnati." ...or was it 15 years?? or did he really even say it??)

Anyway, anyway, back to that pig celebration:

Cincinnati was once known as "Porkopolis" because pork processing was big here. And the rest really is history.

Once upon a time there were two guys who decided to live in Cincinnati. One was William Procter. The other was James Gamble. One made candles. The other -- you got it -- made soap.

And Mr. Procter and Mr. Gamble needed the goop or whatever left over from pork processing to make their stuff. And the rest of that story turned into the cornerstone of Cincinnati's economy. And those Ivory Towers, the nickname we locals give their headquarters offices, are a part of our skyline. (Someday we might tell you all about Skyline Chili, but that really is another story.)

Procter and Gamble rose out of Porkopolis, as Cincy was nicknamed, all those many years ago.

So that's the story.

Vas you ever in Zinzinnati?

Oh, and thank you, Sunflower, for that chocolate cake recipe you posted here. (Well, I think I mean thank you. It looks all too wonderful and all toooooo easy to make. Uh oh.)

Boomer

(I came back in for this edit bc I just started to wonder if even though I am here in the recipe forum, I am talking about P&G, so do I have to do disclosure?? So for full disclusure or whatever they call it, I will tell you, just in case, yeah, I own a few shares of PG -- I always thought that was the law in Cincinnati.)

Last edited by Boomer; 10-12-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Good morning,

GG, that looks all too wonderful. Basil is one of my favorites and Ritz crackers I think may be one of the Wonders of the World. (although I gotta tellya. I have wondered about that weird apple pie recipe that used to be on the back of the box when I was a kid. I do not even know if it is still there. I never tried it. But an apple pie without apples??? Well, wouldn't that be like a "day without sunshine"? Or morning for me without coffee as I sit here in the kitchen and write this stuff.) But I digress -- what a surprise, huh.

Anyway, I am about to digress again. (The girl can't help it.)

So anyway, again, to those of you who have not given up on reading this:

In case you are wondering what Graciegirl means when she said that we must celebrate the pig, well, here goes:

Gracie and I are both Cincinnati girls. And sometimes we talk Cincinnati. (You know, in Cincinnati we say, "Please" where others would say, "Pardon me, I did not hear what you said." Or where some might just say, "Huh?"

Oh and we are the town about which Mark Twain once said, "If the world is coming to an end, go to Cincinnati because everything happens 20 years later in Cincinnati." ...or was it 15 years?? or did he really even say it??)

Anyway, anyway, back to that pig celebration:

Cincinnati was once known as "Porkopolis" because pork processing was big here. And the rest really is history.

Once upon a time there were two guys who decided to live in Cincinnati. One was William Procter. The other was James Gamble. One made candles. The other -- you got it -- made soap.

And Mr. Procter and Mr. Gamble needed the goop or whatever left over from pork processing to make their stuff. And the rest of that story turned into the cornerstone of Cincinnati's economy. And those Ivory Towers, the nickname we locals give their headquarters offices, are a part of our skyline. (Someday we might tell you all about Skyline Chili, but that really is another story.)

Procter and Gamble rose out of Porkopolis, as Cincy was nicknamed, all those many years ago.

So that's the story.

Vas you ever in Zinzinnati?

Oh, and thank you, Sunflower, for that chocolate cake recipe you posted here. (Well, I think I mean thank you. It looks all too wonderful and all toooooo easy to make. Uh oh.)

Boomer

(I came back in for this edit bc I just started to wonder if even though I am here in the recipe forum, I am talking about P&G, so do I have to do disclosure?? So for full disclusure or whatever they call it, I will tell you, just in case, yeah, I own a few shares of PG -- I always thought that was the law in Cincinnati.)
Hey Boom. I thought that owning shares of P & G was municipal law.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Soaring Parsley

edit - well sort of - I hit print by accident having just written one sentence.

can't delete the post - am writing it over

I will be back in a few minutes with "Adventures in Crockpotting."

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-12-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
edit - well sort of - I hit print by accident having just written one sentence.

can't delete the post - am writing it over

I will be back in a few minutes with "Adventures in Crockpotting."

Boomer
Gosh Boom, Had you ever thought about being syndicated? I can't wait. I am sitting here tapping my foot and chewing my nails. "Adventures in Crockpotting" and I am going to be one of the FIRST to read it. Wait. I have to go potty.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Soaring Parsley
Default Breaking up is hard to do.

I try to encourage Mr. Boomer's presence in the kitchen. I like it when he wants to do the cooking. I have managed to convince him that the big mixer and the food processor are power tools. And I even tried to look impressed when he brought home some new knives that have some long German name that starts with a W.

But today, he really messed up a rump roast in the crockpot. Too done. Too done for either of us. Might even be too done for our geriatric dog.

Mr. Boomer would prefer beef -- oh, I don't know -- cooked by being waved over a couple of birthday candles. I, on the other hand, like it pink, maybe can even tend toward just a little red. We compromise.

But today, there is no compromise. This rump roast, that cost a blue fortune, came out beyond tough and dry. It was awful. I have some high-heel shoes that I do not wear much anymore that would have tasted better.

I just put it into the refrigerator. Pretending it will get an encore. (Garbage Eve is coming soon and I will sneak it out to the can at the curb, and then I will distract him so he forgets.)

Oh where did it all go so wrong?

I might have to break up with my crockpot.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-12-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Sage

Boom. You can salvage part of the middle and make vegetable soup. That is being green I think. Well you could put in green beans anyway.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Veteran member
Default Rump Roast the Sequel

Quote:
Boom. You can salvage part of the middle and make vegetable soup. That is being green I think. Well you could put in green beans anyway.
You could also shred or coursely grind it and make a Bolognese sauce.
Yummy.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Soaring Parsley

You know, I thought about soup, GG. May have to do that maybe so that the rump roast does not have to become the Rumpke roast. (GG and I are talking Cincinnati again. Rumpke is the name of our garbage pickup company here.)

And Whalen,

A Bolognese sauce sounds really wonderful. (But I am not a very good cook and I do not know what that is. I will look it up.)

I really like your little title on your post, "Rump Roast the Sequel." That would be a good title for a cookbook.

So thanks for the suggestions. I was starting to feel pretty guilty about my secret plan to smuggle it out to the garbage.

Boomer
Old 10-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Veteran member
Smile Rump Roast Episode 3, Italian Style

aka Bolognese

I'm a Brooklyn Girl and love my Italian Food.
Me sainted Mother made great italian food. She was Polish, Pops was Irish,
the neighborhood was Italian. Had an interesting childhood.
Here's an easy recipe for a meat sauce.
Hope it works, enjoy.

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 pound ground chuck beef Substitute ground RR
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped, (doesn't really have to be 8, the basil police won't know if you use 6 or 8 or even dried herbs)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or any good Italian grated cheese

In a 6 quart pot, add extra-virgin olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes. Raise heat to high and add the ground beef. Saute, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.As meat is already cooked you don't have to cook as long. Add the tomatoes, parsley and basil and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1/2 hour. Finish bolognese with Pecorino Romano. Check for seasoning.
Good over spaghetti, ravioli, tortellini etc, etc.
MMMMMMM getting hungry,
Good Night

Must find spell check, I'm a lousy typist.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
aka Bolognese

I'm a Brooklyn Girl and love my Italian Food.
Me sainted Mother made great italian food. She was Polish, Pops was Irish,
the neighborhood was Italian. Had an interesting childhood.
Here's an easy recipe for a meat sauce.
Hope it works, enjoy.

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 pound ground chuck beef Substitute ground RR
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped, (doesn't really have to be 8, the basil police won't know if you use 6 or 8 or even dried herbs)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or any good Italian grated cheese

In a 6 quart pot, add extra-virgin olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes. Raise heat to high and add the ground beef. Saute, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.As meat is already cooked you don't have to cook as long. Add the tomatoes, parsley and basil and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1/2 hour. Finish bolognese with Pecorino Romano. Check for seasoning.
Good over spaghetti, ravioli, tortellini etc, etc.
MMMMMMM getting hungry,
Good Night

Must find spell check, I'm a lousy typist.
Ahhhh heaven. I have certainly copied this. Now....I, like Boomer, who are both experts on Cincinnati Chlli, will have to see if Krogers has Pecorino Romano. Hey....I like to say that. I feel ITALIAN. Which is hard because I am mostly German. Pecorino Romano, Pecorino Romano. PECORINO ROMANO.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Veteran member
Wink Pecorino Romano

Quote:
Ahhhh heaven. I have certainly copied this. Now....I, like Boomer, who are both experts on Cincinnati Chlli, will have to see if Krogers has Pecorino Romano. Hey....I like to say that. I feel ITALIAN. Which is hard because I am mostly German. Pecorino Romano, Pecorino Romano. PECORINO ROMANO.

If you liked that one, how about Locatelli or Asiago, or the best of the best Parmagiano Reggiano, they're all good.
Meanwhile what is Cincinnati Chile? Something tells me it's gonna be yummy.(there should be a smiley for yummy)
My cousin lived in Cincinnati for 10 years and she never mentioned it. Is it a secret?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default That Cincinnati Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
If you liked that one, how about Locatelli or Asiago, or the best of the best Parmagiano Reggiano, they're all good.
Meanwhile what is Cincinnati Chile? Something tells me it's gonna be yummy.(there should be a smiley for yummy)
My cousin lived in Cincinnati for 10 years and she never mentioned it. Is it a secret?
Cincinnati Chili?

C'mon, GG, hit it! Please explain all about that 3-way chili and 4-way chili and 5-way chili that we have here in Cincy.

When our Chicago son-in-law was taken into our family, he made fun of our chili. But then, guess what. He got hooked. So hooked, in fact, that the Skyline Chili that was located near where he worked knew what his order would be when he walked in the door. HAH!

I must get out of here this morning, but it seems like a long time ago, GG said somewhere that she has a recipe for Skyline Chili. Not sure if I am remembering right. But if she has it, I hope she will post it here. It is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods.

I have always thought that a Skyline would go over great in TV. Especially with a Graeter's Ice Cream store next door.

Oh, and just for the record, I am a 3-way with onions on the side, which is actually a 4-way, but I just have to have the onions on the side. I do not know why. And I give half of the cheese to Mr. Boomer.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-13-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Cincinnati Chili?

C'mon, GG, hit it! Please explain all about that 3-way chili and 4-way chili and 5-way chili that we have here in Cincy.

When our Chicago son-in-law was taken into our family, he made fun of our chili. But then, guess what. He got hooked. So hooked, in fact, that the Skyline Chili that was located near where he worked knew what his order would be when he walked in the door. HAH!

I must get out of here this morning, but it seems like a long time ago, GG said somewhere that she has a recipe for Skyline Chili. Not sure if I am remembering right. But if she has it, I hope she will post it here. It is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods.

I have always thought that a Skyline would go over great in TV. Especially with a Graeter's Ice Cream store next door.

Oh, and just for the record, I am a 3-way with onions on the side, which is actually a 4-way, but I just have to have the onions on the side. I do not know why. And I give half of the cheese to Mr. Boomer.

Boomer
I am a five way myself. (but not in sex) just Cincinnati Chili. I think you'd have to give half your cheese to Mr. B. They give you enough for a month!

This is fairly easy to understand group. Cincinnati has a huge German history. At one time the population was almost entirely German.

Cincinnati Chili is Greek and the secret ingredient is Cinnamon.

Now you understand.

Sound Yucky? Oh that is where you are wrong Mary Jane. If it were any better, we would be injecting it.

I am looking for the recipe. Is it copywrited?

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-13-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator

I add cinnamon to omelets, along with other ingredients including chili pepper, and they are quite well received.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Smile

In honor of Columbus Day, we should all post our favorite Italian recipe!

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.