Ovens & Crockpots & Mashed Potatoes, Oh My!

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete
Thumbs up Sky line chili recipe

try this site
http://americanfood.about.com/od/cla.../cinnchili.htm
Steak and Shake is the local counterpart.

Last edited by Pete; 10-13-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Veteran member
Question Chile/Spaghetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteffey View Post
Different, I think I saw that combo on the Food Channel. The rest of the recipe looks really good. I have an open mind, when the weather cools i think I'll try it. still think we need a yummy smiley.

Donna,
Brooklyn, where ya from? I started out in Park Slope (before it was trendy
moved to Bay Ridge, now in Garden City South on Long Island. hope to some day be a Villager.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteffey View Post
try this site
http://americanfood.about.com/od/cla.../cinnchili.htm
Steak and Shake is the local counterpart.
Good for you. I see that you originated in Niles, Ohio. High five fellow Buckeye!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default about that "About" Skyline recipe

psteffey,

I am going to give that recipe a try I think. I had always heard about the cinnamon, but I had always suspected there was chocolate, too. And sure enough there was cocoa listed in that recipe you linked.

And I saw that it even listed the ways. I think they might have missed something on the 4-way though. It said onions made it a 4-way. But beans can be substituted for onions and it's still a 4-way, Spaghetti with chili on top and then cheese and beans and onions -- the 5-way!

And that link even mentioned those little oyster crackers. You have to have those with your Skyline. Gold Star is another franchise that serves the same style. It is really called Cincinnati chili. I just call it Skyline because that is the one that we always go to. But people will fight it out sometimes between Skyline and Gold Star.

Cincinnati is such an exciting place to live, as you can tell from all this exotic stuff.

Thanks.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-13-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Default Boomer

Cincinnati Chili Recipe

1 quart water 4 cloves garlic
2 med onions, grated 2 tbls vinegar
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce 1 large bay leaf
5 whole allspice 5 whole cloves
1/2 tsp red pepper 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ground cumin seed 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbls chili powder 1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 oz. baker's bitter chocolate
2 lbs ground beef

Add ground beef to water in 4-quart pot, stir until beef separates to a fine texture. Boil slowly for 30 minutes. Add all other ingredients. Stir to blend, bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 3 hours. Last hour, pot may be covered after desired consistency is reached. Chili should be refrigerated overnight so that fat can be lifted from top be reheating.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Soaring Parsley

I just went back and got this old thread from October so I could add another comfort food recipe to it.

This is an old recipe that I fixed for supper tonight. It's really easy and smells wonderful while it is in the oven forever, but it's not the skinniest thing you could cook.

And I don't know if you are allowed to eat this in Florida where it is warm and sunny in December. This is one of those "Baby, It's Cold Outside" recipes.

It is from that old Betty Crocker cookbook. The red one. The one that I bet a lot of you got for a wedding present long ago.

Steak Supper in a Foil Package

(That's what it's called but this is what we call chuck roast, not chuck steak. Oh well, you know what I mean.)

1 and 1/2 lbs. chuck roast (steak??)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup, condensed
1 envelope (about 1 and 1/2 ounces) dry onion soup mix
3 medium carrots, quartered
2 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 T. water

Heat oven to 450 degrees.
Place a 24X18 piece of heavy duty aluminum foil in baking dish.
Place meat on foil.
Stir together condensed mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix and spread over meat.
Top with vegetables and sprinkle water over vegetables.
Fold foil over and seal securely.
Cook in oven for 1 and 1/2 hours or until tender.

That's it.

I did not have any celery. I used lots more carrots.

And, of course, how can you ever go wrong with that gourmet sauce of canned mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix. (Ah, c'mon, you know you think that's an amazing combination. Just admit it.)

Boomer
Old 12-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
... This is one of those "Baby, It's Cold Outside" recipes. ...

Boomer
And boy do we need one of those! We are planning to be in Florida for 4 whole days (count 'em 4!) at Christmas. Can't wait!!!

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Sweet 'n Sour Chicken yummmm

This recipe is sooooooooo easy and sooooooooo yummy. The ingredients sounded yukky to me at first, however, the result was delicious.

Sweek 'n Sour Chicken

Preheat oven to 350 deg

About 5 or 6 Chicken parts to your liking (I prefer just using white meat)

1 bottle of Russian Salad Dressing

1 packet of Lipton dry onion soup

1 jar of apricot preserve

Mix the salad dressing, soup mix and preserve in a bowl, stir and blend with a spatula.

Prepare a rectangular pan (forgot size) by spraying with butter or canola.

Put chicken in pan and cover the chicken with the mixture.

Bake for 1 hr.

I usually serve it with rice as it has quite a bit of yummy sauce to go over the rice. Along with a veg of choice.

So many have asked me for this recipe and it truly is deliciois, even though the mixture sounds yukky.

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 12-14-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Sage
Default much appreciated!

Barb,

Thankyou so much for this quick and easy recipe! Im not very creative in the kitchen and have been straining every inch of my brain trying to think of something to make for two gentlemen neighbors who lost their wives and are comming to dinner next week! This sounds really delicious and like something I could even do!

Problem is, these 2 men are wonderful cooks and could put me to shame in the kitchen. This came just in time!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Sage
Default hi nonie,

saw your post and could not help but notice that you are being your usual kind and generous self to have these two widowers over for dinner...whatever you make, i am sure the love you put into it will make it the most savory meal they have had since their loss....a merry christmas to you and yours.....
Old 12-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Sage

Thankyou Chachacha! I appreciate the encouragement. I really get so nervous in the kitchen, I prefer to stay out of it actually! LOL

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Soaring Parsley

This thread, started back in October, about comfort food, was fun I thought. Kind of like a group of people in the kitchen -- cooking and conversation.

Well, it's really cold now here in Ohio. I am jealous of your blue skies there in Florida. Oh well. There's always comfort food, huh.

I thought I would share tonight's comfort food recipe.

Sloppy Joes

Brown 2 lbs. of ground beef and drain the fat

And add the following:
A small onion, chopped
A 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2 C. cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Simmer until the flavors are blended.

You can adjust the vinegar and brown sugar to taste. Also, add salt and pepper to taste.

Buy your favorite buns and you are in business fast. Easy supper.

Something else about Sloppy Joes -- here in Cincinnati, we sometimes embrace our southern side. We are not that far away from being southern. I think that is why some of us like coleslaw on our Sloppy Joes and barbecue. I know I do. And I think that is a southern thing.

So about that coleslaw....

Just buy a bag of it in the salad section at the grocery or chop your own if you are so inclined. When I am in a hurry, the dressing is Marzetti's Slaw Dressing. Sometimes I use the original and sometimes I use the lighter version. It depends.

And when I am feeling really, really ambitious, I make this slaw dressing.

Slaw Dressing

Mix the following ingredients together:
1 & 1/3 C. sugar (I adjust that down a little.)
1 & 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon of salt (you can adjust that or even leave it out if you want to)
3 Tablespoons dry onion
1 & 1/2 teaspoon celery seed

And mix these two ingredients together:
1/2 C. cider vinegar
1/4 C. cup water

Then put it all into the mixer bowl and add 1 cup of mayo
Drizzle 1 cup of oil while mixing it all on low speed

Now, about that mayo....

I think it has to be Hellman's.

There is something in this forum somewhere with a Hellman's vs. Miracle Whip debate. As I recall, I don't think the debate got too heated, but that issue could get ugly. People tend to be either Miracle Whip or Hellman's fans. It can get pretty serious.

When I married Mr. Boomer, I converted from Miracle Whip to Hellman's and it's been that way since. It was in our wedding vows. Boomette converted her husband to Hellman's from Miracle Whip. And now his whole family -- nothing but Hellman's.

But I digress.

Anyway, I thought somebody out there might like an easy recipe for Sloppy Joes. I only like easy recipes when I am doing the cooking. This is not as easy as opening a can of Manwich. But it's close.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-09-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
This thread, started back in October, about comfort food, was fun I thought. Kind of like a group of people in the kitchen -- cooking and conversation.

Well, it's really cold now here in Ohio. I am jealous of your blue skies there in Florida. Oh well. There's always comfort food, huh.

I thought I would share tonight's comfort food recipe.

Sloppy Joes

Brown 2 lbs. of ground beef and drain the fat

And add the following:
A small onion, chopped
A 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2 C. cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Simmer until the flavors are blended.

You can adjust the vinegar and brown sugar to taste. Also, add salt and pepper to taste.

Buy your favorite buns and you are in business fast. Easy supper.

Something else about Sloppy Joes -- here in Cincinnati, we sometimes embrace our southern side. We are not that far away from being southern. I think that is why some of us like coleslaw on our Sloppy Joes and barbecue. I know I do. And I think that is a southern thing.

So about that coleslaw....

Just buy a bag of it in the salad section at the grocery or chop your own if you are so inclined. When I am in a hurry, the dressing is Marzetti's Slaw Dressing. Sometimes I use the original and sometimes I use the lighter version. It depends.

And when I am feeling really, really ambitious, I make this slaw dressing.

Slaw Dressing

Mix the following ingredients together:
1 & 1/3 C. sugar (I adjust that down a little.)
1 & 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon of salt (you can adjust that or even leave it out if you want to)
3 Tablespoons dry onion
1 & 1/2 teaspoon celery seed

And mix these two ingredients together:
1/2 C. cider vinegar
1/4 C. cup water

Then put it all into the mixer bowl and add 1 cup of mayo
Drizzle 1 cup of oil while mixing it all on low speed

Now, about that mayo....

I think it has to be Hellman's.

There is something in this forum somewhere with a Hellman's vs. Miracle Whip debate. As I recall, I don't think the debate got too heated, but that issue could get ugly. People tend to be either Miracle Whip or Hellman's fans. It can get pretty serious.

When I married Mr. Boomer, I converted from Miracle Whip to Hellman's and it's been that way since. It was in our wedding vows. Boomette converted her husband to Hellman's from Miracle Whip. And now his whole family -- nothing but Hellman's.

But I digress.

Anyway, I thought somebody out there might like an easy recipe for Sloppy Joes. I only like easy recipes when I am doing the cooking. This is not as easy as opening a can of Manwich. But it's close.

Boomer
Boomer Marie! We took the same home ec class in 7th grade! THAT is where I got that exact recipe and I love it, love it, love it. I do cole slaw with Marzetti dressing too, but prefer to run my cabbage through the ole' Cuisinart.

Us Cincinnati girls know comfort food!!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Boomer Marie! We took the same home ec class in 7th grade! THAT is where I got that exact recipe and I love it, love it, love it. I do cole slaw with Marzetti dressing too, but prefer to run my cabbage through the ole' Cuisinart.

Us Cincinnati girls know comfort food!!
And I wonder if the fact that so many of us Cincinnati girls have that big dose of German in us is what makes us put vinegar in so many things. I'm always a little heavier on the vinegar and a little lighter on the sugar in those recipes I put here.

I do so love good German potato salad. The perfect balance of vinegar and sugar makes it work. Of course, you need about a pound of bacon in it, too.

Boomer
Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

I use the Marzetti's original cole slaw dressing not only on cole slaw, but also on potato salad. That was how my mom did her's, and potato salad just doesn't taste right without that Marzetti's dressing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.