Recipe for sauerkraut and pork for NEW YEARS.

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM
nkrifats

Collard Greens, Pork Roast and Hoppin Johns ( Black eyed peas and rice) of course corn bread.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednRobin View Post
Our Central Pa tradition is Sauerkraut and pork over mashed potatoes and Hotdogs w kraut. I have often cooked it in the crock pot but I like to cook it in the oven all day so the kraut darkens up.
Where in Central PA? I am originally from Union County then Dauphin, then 'Berks and then Schulykill County.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
White Castles.

Bill

When I was about 10 my dad took the whole family, four sons, wife and grandparents, all dressed up for Thanksgiving dinner to White Castle.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Gold member

Gracie,

You can buy them in most larger grocery stores. They come dry (requires a day of soaking before cooking), frozen or canned. My parents would grow them in their garden. I usually go with the frozen and add ham (or bacon), chopped onion, salt, pepper and a little garlic powder to taste and maybe a slice of jalapeno or so (if you like spicy). The key is to cook them long and slow so they become tender and absorb the ham, onion and spice flavors. You can also add canned sliced tomatoes if you like them.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
When I was about 10 my dad took the whole family, four sons, wife and grandparents, all dressed up for Thanksgiving dinner to White Castle.

How fun! I would like your dad!!

A very special treat when I was a little girl was for my aunt to take me and my cousins to the only one I knew at that time which was in Bexley, a suburb of Columbus. I think, but I could be wrong, that is where White Castle started.

Columbus, Ohio is a huge birthing place for food chains and a remarkable mecca for good food.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the info, the recipe sounds great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
A dutch oven is a pot with a lid on it. A deep pot. Mine is made of Stainless steel and I use it for soups and for slow roasting meats. I use it almost every day for something.

LarryB...I think a slow cooker would be perfect, but since the temp is probably lower than 300, I think I would cook it longer, after having cooked the cut up potato, apple and onion on top of the stove first. These three things make the sauerkraut not so bitter and give a little sweetness to the dish.

YUM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
A very special treat when I was a little girl was for my aunt to take me and my cousins to the only one I knew at that time which was in Bexley, a suburb of Columbus. I think, but I could be wrong, that is where White Castle started.

Columbus, Ohio is a huge birthing place for food chains and a remarkable mecca for good food.
We always frequented that location when I was "much younger" as well - used to be the only one out on the east side of town. It was one of the original designs - was there for quite a number of years. Got razed years ago, unfortunately. The price of progress in Bexley, I reckon!

And I always used to think White Castle started in Columbus as well!! Turns out otherwise - first store was in KS, I believe. But the HQ has been in Columbus for so long (since the '30s) that the misconception the company started there is fairly prevalent.

Bill
Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman45 View Post
Where in Central PA? I am originally from Union County then Dauphin, then 'Berks and then Schulykill County.
I'm from Tamaqua! Lived there until I was 18yo.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Forgot to add, just before you are ready to eat we make dumplings on top the Sauerkraut. Gettin hungry.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednRobin View Post
Forgot to add, just before you are ready to eat we make dumplings on top the Sauerkraut. Gettin hungry.
Dumplings are good. I will make some too. Go glad you reminded me!!

I also add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and stir it in just before I serve.

I dunno why. My ancestors were from near the Austrian border.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Dumplings are good. I will make some too. Go glad you reminded me!!

I also add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and stir it in just before I serve.

I dunno why. My ancestors were from near the Austrian border.
I know some people here put a little brown sugar in, takes away some of the sourness of the kraut. We like it sour so I never put it in. Some even rinse it before cooking it to take out some of the salt. If you are on a low sodium diet this is smart. But I never said I was smart, lol. So far my taste tests today tell me your recipe is going to be great even w/o the brown sugar. Thanks Gracie.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Default Thank you, GracieGirl!

I made the pork and 'kraut for dinner and it was, indeed, fork tender! We both enjoyed it very much and I'll definitely make it again. I hadn't read your latest post about the Tbsp of brown sugar, so next time I'll add it. Your recipe is a keeper, but I knew it was the minute I read it and knew it was from you. Blessings to you and your family in 2011!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Default Black Eyed Peas

We enjoyed our black eyed peas yesterday, very tasty.
1 can black eyed peas
1 onion diced
1 stalk celery diced
1 garlic clove diced
4 slices bacon
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup cooked brown rice

Saute bacon until crisp, remove and drain all but 1 tbl grease, then saute onion, celery and garlic in grease. Add black eyed peas and crumble bacon plus the chicken stock. Simmer for a few minutes then add the rice and cook for a few minuets to warm and combine. Serve and have good luck. John
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2travel View Post
We enjoyed our black eyed peas yesterday, very tasty.
1 can black eyed peas
1 onion diced
1 stalk celery diced
1 garlic clove diced
4 slices bacon
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup cooked brown rice

Saute bacon until crisp, remove and drain all but 1 tbl grease, then saute onion, celery and garlic in grease. Add black eyed peas and crumble bacon plus the chicken stock. Simmer for a few minutes then add the rice and cook for a few minuets to warm and combine. Serve and have good luck. John
That sounds yummy. I have copied it and stuck it in my Joy of Cooking book.
I am making Mock Turtle Soup today to get rid of vegetables in fridge.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Good Health and good fortune to you all

My mom always made New England Boiled Dinner.... cause you have to have the cabbage. She also would boil a dime for each person in the household in the food; and place the dimes... resting on the moulding above an entry door... taped down, of course, and there they would stay the whole year for luck.

Yesterday we were lucky enough to spend the day with my dad and some of his friends. They made black eyed peas that actually were good (I am usually not a fan) but, like some of the other recipes here, it had both bacon and ham in it for taste and for luck My step-mom made sauer kraut balls for luck and those were good too. Don't ya wonder how some of these traditions started.

Gracie's recipe sounds good so I want to try it.

Last edited by ssmith; 01-02-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: another thought
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.