A recipe for Spiedies

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2015, 04:45 AM
Sage
Default A recipe for Spiedies

INGREDIENTS
FOR THE SPIEDIES:
• 2 to 3 pounds beef, pork, venison, lamb or chicken, cut into small cubes, at most 1-inch square
• Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
FOR THE MARINADE:
• 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• ¾ cup red wine vinegar
• Zest of 1 lemon
• ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice(about 2 lemons)
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and roughly chopped
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
• 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
• 1 tablespoon basil leaves, rolled and chopped into chiffonade
• 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
PREPARATION
1. Make the marinade: Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add the meat to the marinade and cover tightly, or place into large, re-sealable plastic bags and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours (or 10 to 12 hours for chicken).
3. Build a fire in your grill, leaving about 1/3 of grill free of coals, or set a gas grill to high.
4. Remove the meat from its marinade and thread onto metal skewers, or wooden ones that you have soaked in water for 30 minutes or so. The chunks can be placed quite close together. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. When coals are covered with gray ash and fire is still quite high (you can hold your hand 5 inches above coals for only a couple of seconds), place the skewers of meat directly over the flames. Allow the meat to cook, undisturbed, for approximately 3 to 4 minutes, then use kitchen tongs to turn them over and repeat on the other side. Continue turning the skewers every couple of minutes until the meat is deeply crisp at its edges, and cooked entirely through, approximately another 5 to 7 minutes. (Remove them to the cool side of the grill if they begin to burn, and cover the grill to allow them to smoke-roast until finished; this is much less likely to happen on a gas grill.)
6. Allow the spiedies to rest on a cutting board for a few minutes, then the meat from the skewers onto cut hero rolls or a plate. Serve with hot sauce on the side.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-22-2015, 06:27 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you Jblum315 for this....

I spent my youngest years growing up in Endwell NY always having Spiedies every weekend, at picnics, etc. It was always hot dogs, hamburgers and Spiedies...you could buy buckets of Spiedie meat already marinated at any store.

My grandfather made our skewers out of stainless steel square rod and hardwood handles, I still have them.

As a teenager I moved up to western NY and was saddened to see they were unknown there and everywhere else. Those of you who have not yet had Spiedies on a fresh slice of Italian bread are indeed missing a delightful treat!

Frank
Old 05-22-2015, 08:21 AM
Platinum member

Binghamton native here. Spiedies are hard to describe to people, but boy were they good.

Last edited by Bonnevie; 05-22-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 AM

I first encountered Spiedies when I went to college in Binghamton,NY and have enjoyed them ever since. We have used Ron Salamida's Spiedie marinade whenever my wife can find it at Publix.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Default Spiedies

We are former Village snowbirds and are in the process of purchasing there again so I've been scanning TOTV. I was delighted to see the "Spiedies" thread. We moved to Masonville, NY , 40 miles east of Binghamton, 11 yrs ago and a friend introduced us to the tasty treats. Just the mention of spiedies makes our mouths water!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Sage

Wonder if you can help me out here. My mother would make something she called "spiedies" to the best of my recollection, but they were a thin slice of beef that had a breadcrumb mixture in the center of the rolled beef. Don't remember how she cooked them, but they were delicious and I would love to try making them if someone can tell me what they really were and how they are made.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage

You can buy Spiedies sauce at Publix, in the pasta sauce section.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Wonder if you can help me out here. My mother would make something she called "spiedies" to the best of my recollection, but they were a thin slice of beef that had a breadcrumb mixture in the center of the rolled beef. Don't remember how she cooked them, but they were delicious and I would love to try making them if someone can tell me what they really were and how they are made.
That sounds closer to "rouladen." Do some Googling.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:14 PM

I spent the majority of my AF career in Binghamton. I LOVE Spiedies!!!
Just retired from Link. Good times at Sharkies and Lupos. And Brandywine bowling. And Cortiese for Italian.Great town to be stationed back in the day. Sad to see it now.

But will get to Publix for some sauce!

Thanks
Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM

I tried the posted spiedie recipe today. I used chicken and didn't have a fresh lemon so I used bottled lemon juice. I also marinated 24 hours and cooked in a disposable aluminum pan on a gas grill. DEFINITELY the best spiedies I have ever eaten!
The Salamida sauce is good but the homemade is MUCH better. We also used fresh ital bread. Yummy!!!
Old 07-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
That sounds closer to "rouladen." Do some Googling.
Thanks for your suggestion. Did find several recipes for roulade and braciole, but none of them are what I remember. Of course that was
also 50 years ago so maybe I'm not remembering so well.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.