Tomatoes Rescued from First Frost

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Sage
Default Tomatoes Rescued from First Frost

Pasta with Uncooked
Summer Tomato Sauce

A "NO COOK" Pasta Sauce which is simple and light....

Serves 3—4
I’m using the Roma small tomatoes we saved from last night’s anticipated first frost up here in Vermont. I think it only got down to 40 degrees here but some areas were in the 30's.

For the simplest and most casual of sauces, do not peel or seed the tomatoes. If you have FRESH TOMATOES from your garden, they are THE BEST.
  • 2 pounds medium to large ripe tomatoes (3—6 tomatoes, depending on size) (I’m using MORE as they are the smaller Roma tomatoes; plum tomatoes)
  • 2 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1 small bunch fresh basil
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt
  • black pepper in a mill
  • 12 ounces pasta (vermicelli, spaghettini, spaghetti) I like “angel hair” spaghetti.....use entire box. But, any favorite will do nicely.
Remove the stem end of the tomatoes and discard. with a sharp knife, chop the tomatoes coarsely and place them in a LARGE**glass or stainless steel bowl.

Crush the garlic cloves by placing them, one at a time, on your work surface and placing the side of your knife blade on it. Use your fist to firmly press the blade down, crushing the garlic in the process.

After smashing the garlic, chop it finely and add it to the tomatoes.

Remove the basil leaves from their stems, chop them coarsely, and toss with the tomatoes and garlic.

Add the olive oil and toss again. (If you don’t have extra virgin olive oil, you can use a lighter olive oil....but make sure it is olive oil).

Let the mixture rest in a cool spot, but not the refrigerator, for about 2 hours.....or MORE.
I just leave it on my kitchen counter until ready to serve. The flavors need to marinate.

After at least two hours: Boil the water.......boil the pasta of choice.........drain.

Season the tomato sauce with salt and black pepper and **add the pasta to the sauce** which should be in a large glass or stainless steel bowl.

Toss the mixture and serve immediately.

Variations:

Mint: Use 1/2 cup julienned mint leaves instead of the basil and some like to add finely diced onion along with the garlic.....some add oregano also.

In Italy they made summer sauce when the tomato crop was bountiful but they didn’t want to heat up their kitchens..........during the summer heat.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.