A simple marinara sauce recipe & sunday gravy

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Sage
Default Yes, it's a lower Manhattan, northern New Jersey thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
It seems to be prevalent in downstate New York New Jersey and possibly Boston area but its wrong wrong wrong. Gravy is brown its called sauce you can further use descriptors such as meat sauce , pasta sauce, etc but its sauce
Yes, no doubt about it, that it is a lower Manhattan, northern New Jersey thing.........our immigrants came from southern Italy via Naples. Small mountain village of Laurenzana Basilicata Potenza Italia.
They came over in 1890 & prior.

So, this is not a modern present day terminology.

My own childhood memories are from the 1940's & 1950's.

By the time the 1960's came about, my generation were all calling it "sauce".........while my father was still calling I "gravy".

But marinara sauce was always sauce......Sunday Gravy was always "gravy".......probably because it had tons of meat in it.

Would I lie? Even Frank Sinatra called it Sunday Gravy.
Tony Bennett, etc. who supposedly is a close paisano.

ALSO, I HAVE HEARD THAT TONY SOPRANO & CARMELA SOPRANO CALLED IT "SUNDAY GRAVY".......yikes.

I for one, am not going to argue with them.......or their crew.

Actually, we had family in Caldwell, New Jersey & they also called it Sunday Gravy.......just like Tony & Carmela Soprano, fictional characters living in Caldwell. N.J.

Soprano's Sunday Gravy (Spaghetti Sauce)

Prep Time:15 mins Total Time: 2 hrs 15 mins Yield:8 cups

Ingredients

For the Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb meaty pork neck bones or 1 lb pork spareribs
1 lb veal stew meat or 2 veal shoulder chops
1 lb Italian sausage
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 (28 ounce) cans peeled Italian tomatoes
2 cups water
6 leaves fresh basil, torn into small pieces

For the Meatballs
1 lb ground beef ( or combination of beef or pork)
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1/2 cup freshly grated romano cheese or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon salt
pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

To Serve
1 lb pasta shells or 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked and hot

freshly grated romano cheese or parmesan cheese

To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
Pat the pork dry and put the pieces in the pot.Cook turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until nicely browned on all sides.Transfer pork to a plate.

Brown the veal in the same way and add it to the plate.

Place the sausages in the pot and brown on all sides.

Set the sausages aside with the pork.

Drain off most of the fat from the pot.

Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes or until golden.

Remove and discard the garlic.

Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.

With a food mill (I use a Braun hand blender) puree the tomatoes, with their juice into the pot.

Or for a chunkier sauce, just chop up the tomatoes and add them.

Add the water; and salt and pepper to taste.

Add the pork, veal, sausages, and basil and bring the sauce to a simmer.

Partially cover the pot and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.

If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water.

Meanwhile, make the meatballs: Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a large bowl.
Mix together thoroughly.

Rinse your hands with cool water and lightly shape the mixture into 2 inch balls.

Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet.

Directions

Add the meatballs and brown them well on all sides.They will finish cooking in the sauce.

Transfer the meatballs to a plate.

After the sauce has cooked for its two hours, add the meatballs and cook for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thick and the meats are very tender.

To serve, remove the meats from the sauce and set aside.

Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce.

Sprinkle with cheese.

Serve the meats as a second course, or reserve them for another day.

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-25-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Fresh Market on 466. Made them this past Christmas. Butcher knows what they are and how to cut the meat.

Put a few in my freezer.....that reminds me.....tomorrow is Sunday....think I will make gravy!

Mangia mangia. Enjoy your gravy.

Actually, with the new snow we are having yet again, that Sunday Gravy sounds like a good idea.....except for the fact that all of those meats would feed an army.........think I'll wait until the next time all of the kids & grandkids come home at the same time........but great memories nonetheless. Maybe I'll just make some with the braciole in it. As a child, that was my favorite meat in the "gravy".......introduced my hubby to it & it was frequently requested while raising our family........

I've also made German "rouladen" which are also meat rolls, just stuffed jelly roll fashion with other ingredients..........love them too.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Sage
Default Here's a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Great stories here. You sound like someone on Food Network. They tell the story as they are cooking...

SINATRA SUNDAY SAUCE GRAVY | Ny FOODIE

PLEASE KEEP SCROLLING ALL THE WAY DOWN........GREAT "BLAST FROM THE PAST".

SINATRA SUNDAY SAUCE GRAVY
Old 01-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Sage
Default One of the most famed movie scenes says gravy

SUNDAY SAUCE - When Italian Americans Cook: Secret Italian Recipes & Favorite Dishes .. Italian Cookbook with Clemenza Spaghetti & Meatballs Sunday Sauce Godfather Gravy [Kindle Edition] Daniel Bellino-Zwicke

"Come here kid, lem-me show you something. You never know when you're gonna have to cook for 20 guys some day. "Pete Clemenza says to Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) in Francis Ford Coppola"s The Godfather.

it's one of the most famed movie scenes in history and of great importance to Italian-Americans.

Clemenza is making "Gravy" aka Sunday Sauce, the Supreme Dish of Italian-America, and the dish that brings Italian Families together each and every Sunday.

GO TO AMAZON.COM..........IT HAS A PHOTO OF THE BOOK WITH RECIPES SUCH AS "GABAGOOL", "PASTA FAZOOL" etc.

Translation: Cappacola (ham), Beans with Macaroni

But in the book they are MAKING SUNDAY SAUCE/GRAVY.

IN THE MOVIE THE GODFATHER, THEY REFER TO THE SUNDAY GRAVY.

IT'S GRAVY WHEN THERE ARE MEATS IN IT......LIKE ON SUNDAY.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Sage
Default Sunday gravy in a jar of all things

IT'S OUT THERE...........FIRST TIME I'VE SEEN THIS, BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN A JAR........

Sunday Gravy

by Good Fella Henry Hills

AS SEEN ON AMAZON.COM .......SUNDAY GRAVY IN A JAR !!!!

•As made famous in the helicopter scene of Goodfellas, just like 'Good Fella' Henry Hill made at home (and prison!)

•An Italian tradition, our Sunday Gravy is simmered low and slow

•Razor-thin garlic sautéed in olive oil until just right. Fresh tomato puree, diced onion, red wine, and hand-minced herbs and spices

•Heat and add to your favorite pasta for an authentic American-Italian treat

•Great with beef, chicken, or seafood
Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

It was never gravy in my family, always sauce, no matter the day of the week. BTW, the recipe for Marinara Sauce looks wonderful, and is going into my recipe book. Thank you so much!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 AM
Sage
Default You are very welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
It was never gravy in my family, always sauce, no matter the day of the week. BTW, the recipe for Marinara Sauce looks wonderful, and is going into my recipe book. Thank you so much!

You are very welcome. What is nice about it: it has low sodium compared to jarred versions......but the flavor is still there, naturally.

No doubt you are a lot younger than I am......again, my memories are from the 1940's & 1950's. By time the 1960's arrived, we twenty somethings were also calling it "sauce" while the elders still called it gravy......& "macaroni"........while we began calling it pasta.

Long long time ago........however, as we can see by the "movies**"
circa the "turn of the century" plus even later, in "Little Italy" "Lower Manhattan" & beyond...........they also called it "gravy".

**The Godfather
**Goodfellas

No doubt it is "generational" as well as regional.

I must remember that we, at age 70 or approaching 70, are NOT the typical age of folks in THE VILLAGES.......who are much younger, in their 40's & 50's. We never realized that initially.
Now we know. Early retirees. My husband didn't retire till age 66.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.