So, What Is Sous Vide Cookin Anyway?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Sage
Default So, What Is Sous Vide Cookin Anyway?

What Is Sous Vide, Anyway? | Bon Appetit

When I think of slow cooking, I think crock-pot. I thought I could not afford sous vide cooking.

The Anova Precision Cooker is the world’s top-selling sous vide machine. It’s amazingly easy to set up with outstanding results. If you have a pot, a ziplock bag, and a pan, you’ll cook the best food of your life. Period. $109

This is a game changer. You just set the temperature you want, stick it in the water in a bag, and forget about it. You can't overcook anything it holds it at the exact temp.

Has anyone cooked this way? the restaurants do
Old 04-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post

When I think of slow cooking, I think crock-pot. I thought I could not afford sous vide cooking.

The Anova Precision Cooker is the world’s top-selling sous vide machine. It’s amazingly easy to set up with outstanding results. If you have a pot, a ziplock bag, and a pan, you’ll cook the best food of your life. Period. $109

This is a game changer. You just set the temperature you want, stick it in the water in a bag, and forget about it. You can't overcook anything it holds it at the exact temp.

While it seems that this is probably the best way to cook vacuum-packed food, a big negative for me personally is...

Quote:
Since the water never goes past the desired temperature of doneness, the meat takes significantly longer to cook (A 12 oz. NY strip takes a little over two hours)...

Old 04-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Sage

I checked these out. It's a big vat of water and you stick a large probe in it and hook it to the side of the vat. It brings the temperature up to what you want to cook your meat. You place your meat or dish in it (in a plastic bag) and it sits in there and maintains the temperature until it is done. I won one of these in a sweepstakes and sold it on Ebay. I could maybe see a restaurant using one that gets a lot of food in vacuum packed bags maybe but from what I read it takes quite a while to get the food up to temperature. I sold mine for $130. They sell for around $175 new for a name brand one. I just couldn't see myself using it for anything. Cooking a steak in one you still have to take it out of the bag and brown it on the grill. There are you tube videos on these if you'd like to see.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Je n'est sais pas. Q'est ce c'est???? J'adore la Dutch oven a moi. Just a pot with a tight fitting lid that can go in the oven.........and transforms meats into luscious tenderness.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I checked these out. It's a big vat of water and you stick a large probe in it and hook it to the side of the vat. It brings the temperature up to what you want to cook your meat. You place your meat or dish in it (in a plastic bag) and it sits in there and maintains the temperature until it is done. I won one of these in a sweepstakes and sold it on Ebay. I could maybe see a restaurant using one that gets a lot of food in vacuum packed bags maybe but from what I read it takes quite a while to get the food up to temperature. I sold mine for $130. They sell for around $175 new for a name brand one. I just couldn't see myself using it for anything. Cooking a steak in one you still have to take it out of the bag and brown it on the grill. There are you tube videos on these if you'd like to see.
listen to this
Sous vide basics with America’s Test Kitchen | The Splendid Table

My sons like to cook. They're too busy to brown meat and put together a crock pot in the morning. But with sous vite they can put 2 steaks in a bag on monday at 7pm and tuseday at 7pm they have a perfect steak or piece of salmon [no talapia] that needs to be browned a minute on both sides. virtually no cleanup---add a salad or nuke a potato. $110 is nothing for them compared to take out or going to a restaurant.
Suppose they are running late? it doesn't matter
Old 04-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Je n'est sais pas. Q'est ce c'est???? J'adore la Dutch oven a moi. Just a pot with a tight fitting lid that can go in the oven.........and transforms meats into luscious tenderness.
mercy boucoup, silver plate [i got a D in french 1 and 2--they begged me, please don't take 3]

oo a' la fenetra? [in little conversations i always asked where the window is hoping it would make sense]
Old 04-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
mercy boucoup, silver plate [i got a D in french 1 and 2--they begged me, please don't take 3]

oo a' la fenetra? [in little conversations i always asked where the window is hoping it would make sense]
It is always wise to know where the window is when cooking. You may have to throw the whole thing out.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is always wise to know where the window is when cooking. You may have to throw the whole thing out.
oui
Old 04-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have one, don't use it much. One time I was having about 20 people for dinner and was doing beef tenderloin and then cut into filet's. For this many it worked great. Cooked two tenderloins to 125 degrees (rare), cut into 2 inch filet's and then seared on a hot grill to provide everyone a filet cooked exactly as they wanted it.

But anything up to 10 I personally would prefer to oven roast it. Our son-in-law and daughter use it all the time. Because of kids and busy schedules, you can set it up in the AM and cook what ever your cooking 3, 4, 5, 6, or more hours and it will still come out the same.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I have one, don't use it much. One time I was having about 20 people for dinner and was doing beef tenderloin and then cut into filet's. For this many it worked great. Cooked two tenderloins to 125 degrees (rare), cut into 2 inch filet's and then seared on a hot grill to provide everyone a filet cooked exactly as they wanted it.

But anything up to 10 I personally would prefer to oven roast it. Our son-in-law and daughter use it all the time. Because of kids and busy schedules, you can set it up in the AM and cook what ever your cooking 3, 4, 5, 6, or more hours and it will still come out the same.
thank-you
Is that how they cook beef tenderloin in a restaurant?
My hunch was that the oven would dry out the meat and this would keep it moist. Is that not so?

The kicker is that there is a little work on the back end when my kids do have extra time.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Sage

I have one that I wouldn’t be without. Put a steak in it. Don’t have to worry about how thick it is. Don’t even have to thaw it if it’s frozen. Set the desired finish temp, seal the bag in the vacuum sealer, and let it go. Got more to prepare for the meal or going to be out for a bit, no problem. It can stay in the bath for a few hours and won’t go beyond the temp you set. Finish in a cast iron pan red hot to create the sear and you’re done. This one done to 135 degrees in about an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	B8753A8D-28A8-4F21-8AEB-3FB3D2CD3147.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	74922  
Old 04-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

I use my Anova occasionally. It's great if you want your steaks perfectly cooked. Of course, they get finished on the grill or in a cast iron pan to put a crust on the outside. Even a butane torch can be used with the grill or the pan. I have also used it warm a holiday ham. Putting a ham in the oven to warm tends to dry it out. Especially if you're not sure when you'll finally get to serve.

There are a lot of things that it can be used for.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,269 Posts

Here's an entire YouTube channel about it.. Sous Vide Everything
- YouTube

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Sage

thank-you everyone--i watched a show on seasoning. Sous Vide SEASONING EXPERIMENT - Should you SALT BEFORE OR AFTER Sous Vide? - YouTube The guy has his own little test kitchen going on.
He doesn't grill, he uses a propane torch.

You can do veggies too. Someone said frozen meat too. I guess the vacuum seal makes that safe.

What about less expensive cuts of meat?

What about the frozen salmon that comes in it's own seal package?

Last edited by tomwed; 04-28-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I have been using one for 3 years. I use at least 3 times a week. Yes you can start a steak and as long as the water does not get too low it will stay at that temp for hours. High end restaurants use them all the time.

I have done Eggs Benedict for 2 or 20, all while sitting with my guests. Eggs, ham, and sauce done all at the same time. Hollandaise sauce never separate it’s perfect every time. I can throw something in the SV, go to work for nine hours and come back with perfectly cooked food

For any protein you can use a torch or throw in a cast iron for a less than a minute to sear. I took lessons at a high end steakhouse and got hooked.

It is not boil in a bag. Water stays at the temp you set until you turn it off.

Tags
vide, sous, set, cooking, bag

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.