Sous Vide? Anybody else? (I’m a convert.)

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2022, 10:28 AM
Gold member

We have used sous vide for about two years now, and will never go back. For Christmas dinner we bought one of those Publix $6.99/pound prime ribs, put it in the Anova for 24 hours, and what came out was the best prime rib I've ever had. I set the water temp to only 130 (note that 135 is the medium rare recommendation), and after the 24 hours, put it on our pellet smoker for nearly an hour using a competition mix of smoker pellets. Wow, what a tender, flavorful roast. We have a chuck tender roast in it right now.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:38 AM

This was the most disgusting thread I’ve read on TOTV. Positive suggestions, people agreeing with each other. No snarky comments. Did someone high jack this site? What is the world coming to?
Although I’m skeptical of all those positive comments I’m going to go out and buy and try one of those units. See, even I can be taken.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:45 AM
Default Sous vide and game meats

I like to try game meats and wifey likes to try to cook almost anything. In the past, I've had elk at a restaurant and loved it, tried grilling it myself a few times and it has never worked out - despite doing it very rare as recommended. So for our most recent wild game night, where we had elk, yak, and ostrich, she took over the elk and used sous vide as the cooking approach - letting me finish it searing on the grill. Best elk ever. We're thinking of using it with kangaroo, camel, venison, and emu in the future.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Tried lobster tails for New Year's in the sous vide. It was great.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Our son sent us a commercial sous vide over 9 years ago. Used in high end restaurants for years. We have used it couple time a week since the day I unboxed it. Steak mid rare is always perfect. Eggs Benedict for 12 without ever leaving the conversation is priceless.

2 years ago we received a new commercial with temp increments of .2. Makes it even more precise. Mine comes with the commercial bath, one for smaller items, and a large for cooking for a crowd. Everything breaks down and stores in the large bath.

Still using the first one, along with the new. We had steak and lobster for 8 on NYE, and except for the 15 minute prep, and the minute to high sear steak with a torch, then plate everyone at once. I got to spent the entire evening with our company.

Not much has changed in the last 9 years, my recipes came from restaurants, for years, but now online and cookbooks help those who are new to cooking sous vide welcome to the best way to cooking
Sounds like a great way to cook! I would just worry about whether there were any micro-chips involved?
Old 01-06-2022, 10:54 AM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtracer49 View Post
I've been using a sous vide for 3 or 4 years.
I consider it one of my secret weapons.
Some of the most juicy and tender meat ever.
Chicken breasts melt in your mouth rather than tasting like shoe leather.
I like to do baby back ribs for about 36 hours and then carefully take them out to finish on the smoker or grill.
Did a whole brisket for 48 hours which came out amazing.
This Christmas it was an 8 pound prime rib roast.

I think I'm making myself hungry.
If you have a group of 4-6 people who like their steaks at different degrees of doneness, how do you do that in a sous vide that is set to one temperature?
Old 01-06-2022, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
This was the most disgusting thread I’ve read on TOTV. Positive suggestions, people agreeing with each other. No snarky comments. Did someone high jack this site? What is the world coming to?
Although I’m skeptical of all those positive comments I’m going to go out and buy and try one of those units. See, even I can be taken.
Sucker!

-Tom Petty
Old 01-06-2022, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
If you have a group of 4-6 people who like their steaks at different degrees of doneness, how do you do that in a sous vide that is set to one temperature?
Tell them they're getting "medium rare" like all normal people should!

But seriously, a minute of extra searing theirs will bring it up to (shudder!) medium...

If they want well done, immediately ask them to leave!

-Tom Petty
Old 01-06-2022, 11:01 AM

Love my sous vide. Makes perfect Starbucks egg bites, scallops, ribs, pork chops, lamb and surprisingly carrots! 😂😂 cooking steak to perfect “doneness” takes stress out the equation. No guessing. Pinterest is a great resource for new recipes I try.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post

I absolutely luv your post. Thank you.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:47 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
I have been using Sous Vide for quite some time. Mostly for beef. It’s fool proof way of cooking to the perfect temperature! I was wondering how you finished off the pork tenderloin? With stakes I usually use my cast iron pan and butter or my Ninja Grill.
More people should try Sous Vide cooking especially if you don’t like to cook LOL

Mr. Boomer finished the pork tenderloin on the stove in a cast iron skillet. He uses olive oil. (He is aware of olive oil’s smoke point but he never lets that hit.) He used the small amount of drippings in the skillet to make the sauce we used.

I found the sauce recipe on the internet. (The pork tenderloin was so tender that it really did not need a sauce, but we liked it.) The sauce recipe reads like this but we adapted it:

Creamy Mustard Sauce

1/2 Cup of heavy cream (We used half-and-half.)

1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard (He likes mustard, a lot, and actually got a Christmas present that came from the Mustard Museum, and whole grain (seeded) mustard was in the box.)

2 tsp. tarragon (Tarragon’s gentle, aromatic approach calms down the mustard so it does not take over. I gave the tarragon a little extra pinch, but that’s just me.)

2 tsp. parsley (We did not use this. Didn’t have any and the recipe has notes that say to skip the parsley if you want to, but don’t skip the tarragon.)

1/2 tsp. salt (We skipped this, too. The mustard takes care of the edge salt gives. We are light on using salt in cooking, and besides, it can be added at the table if somebody wants more.)

1/2 tsp. pepper

(The recipe says to add a little water as needed. That was not necessary. If anything, I was concerned that the sauce would be too liquid-y. But the drippings gave it body. The original recipe said nothing about drippings and depended on heavy cream for thickness. Drippings from the olive oil searing worked just fine with the half-and-half.)

- - - - -

Btw, the leftovers were just as good for lunch the next day.

Today is the day we learn how the rump roast works. It has been in there since yesterday afternoon. It is a very small roast, shy of 2 pounds. Time will tell — literally.

Boomer

PS: Thank you to the poster here who shared the information about protecting the counter from the heat. We are in the honeymoon phase with this thing right now so it’s at it all the time. Can’t hurt to protect the counter — so we will.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-06-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:27 PM

Pork doesn’t kill you anymore and pink like “medium steak” is fine.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:51 PM

As said before, it is best if you can through it on the grill for a nice crispy finish otherwise use a torch. But grill or frying pan to get that nice crust woks best. The best part is that you can leave in the water bath for a long time and it will never get overcooked as long as you set the temperature correctly.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
For a long time, Mr. Boomer had been telling me we should try sous vide.

But, I kept saying, “BLECH!. Why would we want to float sealed-up hunks of meat around in water while we pretend it is cooking. Sounds, to me, like a recipe for food poisoning. And, besides, it probably comes out looking weird.”

Well, to illustrate just how far my influence sometimes reaches, a few weeks ago, one of those sous vide contraptions appeared on our doorstep. Seems like ATK had an irresistible deal.

So far, it has been beef tenderloin, salmon, chicken, and on New Year’s Day, the best pork tenderloin ever. . .

We got the pork tenderloin at a butcher shop. (I don’t know why those things always come packed in twos — even at that butcher shop.)

Anyway, the butcher trimmed off that creepy silverskin — or whatever it’s called. We bought the pair, froze one, and off to sous vide went the other.

Oh my! It was the best pork tenderloin ever. Too often pork is tough — perhaps having easily succumbed to overcooking by elder-boomers who grew up being warned about the risk of trichinosis. . .

And pork tenderloin is so lean, that it can often cross over into overcooking even when you don’t mean for that to happen.

This pork tenderloin was so tender, it could be easily cut with a fork. It had the perfect amount of pink inside and had been made pretty with a searing in the cast iron skillet.

We found a recipe for a sauce — with a couple of mustards, tarragon, cream, the drippings from the searing in olive oil, and some other stuff I can’t remember right now. (We used half-and-half instead of cream. That’s wicked enough. But you don’t need much of this sauce to put the finishing touch on the perfectly cooked pork tenderloin.)

Anyway, I am now a convert to sous vide. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I should never have mocked this cooking method.

But now, we are in a quandary. If we serve pork tenderloin to company, will our fellow elder-boomers think we are trying to kill them with trichinosis when they see pink pork?

Has anyone else here used sous vide?

Boomer

PS: I just noticed a delivery of a vacuum sealer. Looks like we are really getting into this. That’s OK. Sometimes, Mr. Boomer is absolutely right.
A friend of mine told me about this method of cooking meat several months ago. It seemed it was a bit laborious. It takes several hours right? But he swears by it and said a lot of the fancy NYC restaurants use this method for tender meats.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
Temp for my unit Rare is 121.4, Mid-rare is 129.2.
We only have 2 friends who like medium, so cast iron in oven to broil, 4 minutes gets you to medium.
If you want something more than medium you don’t get invited to our house.

Tags
pork, tenderloin, vide, sous, butcher

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.