Thanksgiving dishes

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Sage
Default Thanksgiving dishes

Hi all:

I was wondering what types of dishes everyone serves with the Thanksgiving turkey. Thinking of adding a new dish this year instead of the usual green bean casserole. I do make a broccoli salad which has raisins, nuts and red onion which everyone asks for every year.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Go crazy and create something totally new. I never use a recipe !
Old 11-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We love layered salad made with shredded cauliflower and onion and parmesan cheese and a couple of cups of shredded lettuce and a minced onion and a whole pound of fried bacon,, with a gabboo of Hellmanns and a half a cup of sugar.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-19-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We love layered salad made with cauliflower and onion and parmesan cheese and a couple of cups of shredded lettuce and a minced onion and a whole pound of fried bacon,, with a gabboo of Hellmans and a half a cup of sugar.
That sounds awesome!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We love layered salad made with cauliflower and onion and parmesan cheese and a couple of cups of shredded lettuce and a minced onion and a whole pound of fried bacon,, with a gabboo of Hellmans and a half a cup of sugar.
I make the same recipe but I use a half a gabboo of Miracle Whip and a half a gabboo of Hellmans.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Sage

I got this from the Fresh Market website and I'll let you know how it tastes. What I like about it is that it features many different tastes. It's easy to make. The leftovers can be used in a pot pie the next day. A friend is smoking my turkey. And I think I'll be making some mushroom soup., my son's favorite.

Roasted Root Vegetable Medley
Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 garlic clove, minced
4 large beets, peeled and quartered
2 gold potatoes
2 carrots, peeled and cut diagonally
2 parsnips, diced
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 rutabaga, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 large onions, quartered lengthwise
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup green onion, chopped
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°. In small mixing bowl, combine oil, maple syrup and garlic.

Place all vegetables on a heavy large-rimmed baking sheet. Pour oil mixture over vegetables and toss to coat. Spread vegetables out into a single layer and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden brown, about 1 ½ hours; stirring occasionally. Transfer vegetables to platter and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and serve immediately.

Now I gotta find a heavy large-rimmed baking sheet. Any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Sage

The light baking sheets warp in the heat. Use a big old roasting pan if you don't want to buy a heavy aluminum baking sheet. Sam's has them.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

Buy a can of whole baby carrots. Drain. Heat them in a frying pan with butter. Remove from heat, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve. Easy peasy.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I got this from the Fresh Market website and I'll let you know how it tastes. What I like about it is that it features many different tastes. It's easy to make. The leftovers can be used in a pot pie the next day. A friend is smoking my turkey. And I think I'll be making some mushroom soup., my son's favorite.

Roasted Root Vegetable Medley
Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 garlic clove, minced
4 large beets, peeled and quartered
2 gold potatoes
2 carrots, peeled and cut diagonally
2 parsnips, diced
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 rutabaga, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 large onions, quartered lengthwise
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup green onion, chopped
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°. In small mixing bowl, combine oil, maple syrup and garlic.

Place all vegetables on a heavy large-rimmed baking sheet. Pour oil mixture over vegetables and toss to coat. Spread vegetables out into a single layer and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden brown, about 1 ½ hours; stirring occasionally. Transfer vegetables to platter and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and serve immediately.

Now I gotta find a heavy large-rimmed baking sheet. Any suggestions?
A similar version that we do is to marinate the veggies overnight in a ziplock bag or two with about 1/4 c orange juice and 1/4 c Olive oil ( or leftover wine from dinner) a few crushed sprigs of rosemary or thyme or herb of choice. The trick is to roast as a single layer so they get coated well and carmalized. I love that dish!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
The light baking sheets warp in the heat. Use a big old roasting pan if you don't want to buy a heavy aluminum baking sheet. Sam's has them.
Bakers and Chefs Half Size Aluminum Sheet Pan - 2 pack
Item #: 933255 |Model #: 3614ABC
This is what sam's has online that also say's it's in the store. do you think that's light duty or heavy duty?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
i looked it up. sam's has what i need. thank-you for the good advice
Old 11-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Sage

Anybody else have favorite Thanksgiving dishes they would like to share? Also looking for ideas of what to serve for dinner on Christmas Day besides ham or turkey.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Sage

Judy we love to splurge on Christmas Day and buy an outstanding beef roast. Have tried several different cuts, but that has become our tradition.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Platinum member
Default Fruit Salad

My mother always made this and we loved it! I still make it. The amount of fruit you will need will depend on how many you need to serve.

Oranges, peeled, sectioned and cut into pieces
Bananas, sliced
Canned Pineapple chunks
Apples (do not peel), sliced and cut into pieces
Seedless Grapes Halved
Pecans (optional, but absolutely necessary for me!)

Combine all. Beat 1/2 pint whipping cream, adding sugar a little at a time. Gently stir in 1/2 to 1 tsp. vanilla. (The amount of whipped cream might have to be increased depending on the amount of fruit you use.)

When ready to serve, fold into cut up fruit.

MMMMMMMMMMMM!!
Yummy
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 11-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Gold member

Turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, creamed onions, creamed spinach green beans , gravy, stuffing and for dessert apple pie with fresh Carvel ice cream and pumpkin pie. Is it lots of food, yes but we are many family members this year and everyone gave me their input.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.