What wines are you loving now?

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
A good buddy talked about 2 buck chuck a lot. I tried it a few times and I'm just not a fan. I ran across Sterling Vintner's Collection - Meritage, a blend 2010. I got it on sale (I'm a sale buyer almost exclusively for my wine) for $9.99 and have been very pleased with it. One of my current favorites is 337 Lodi Cab. It's a bit pricey for me drinking every day. $14-$16 range on sale….as previously mentioned
I'm with you on the 2 buck chuck which is 3 buck chuck now. Tried it several times and hated it.

There is another one I really like 14 Hands ands its a cabernet. I've had it at restaurants but unable to find it at any stores.

In the winter I drink red wine exclusively but when summers come I switch to Pinot Grigio, and I hate any kind of Chardonnay.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Saving a few good cabs.....'92 Braren Pauley, '93 Caymus and an '05 South African Meerlust. Plan to pop one of the the day we move to TV!
Til then we'll drink the "cheap stuff".
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '69Ludwigs View Post
Saving a few good cabs.....'92 Braren Pauley, '93 Caymus and an '05 South African Meerlust. Plan to pop one of the the day we move to TV!
Til then we'll drink the "cheap stuff".
OMG you are going to love the Caymus , one of my customers gave me a bottle and it was heavenly. I went to buy some more but prices started at $70 so I left it sitting on the shelf.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Gold member

I love the jammy reds, usually California blends. One very popular one is Apothic Red, which usually sells around $12.00 in the area liquor stores, but Wal Mart currently sells it for less than $9.00. I'm heading over that way today to resupply.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I love the jammy reds, usually California blends. One very popular one is Apothic Red, which usually sells around $12.00 in the area liquor stores, but Wal Mart currently sells it for less than $9.00. I'm heading over that way today to resupply.
Also, the Apothic White is good--fruity but not overly sweet. It's a nice hot-weather wine.

Another nice alternative to Pinot Grigio is Ruffino Orvieto. It used to be available in Publix grocery store. I haven't looked for it in a while. The Orvieto is around $10 or under. I can't remember what Apothic White costs.

If I'm having company and don't know if they like their white wine real dry, I choose the Orvieto.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Gold member

I haven't tried the Apothic White yet - I'll pick up a bottle later this morning at Wal Mart. I know that it was selling for $8.77 in Mid-February, same as the Red.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I haven't tried the Apothic White yet - I'll pick up a bottle later this morning at Wal Mart. I know that it was selling for $8.77 in Mid-February, same as the Red.
Be warned, it is on the fruity side of dry. I like it for the summer. But I don't like oaky chardonnay or very dry whites. I prefer dry reds, though, if that gives you an idea of my assessment of the Apothic White. Fruity to me might be too dry to someone else.

Now I'm going to have to try Apothic red.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post
I'm with you on the 2 buck chuck which is 3 buck chuck now. Tried it several times and hated it.

There is another one I really like 14 Hands ands its a cabernet. I've had it at restaurants but unable to find it at any stores.

In the winter I drink red wine exclusively but when summers come I switch to Pinot Grigio, and I hate any kind of Chardonnay.
Wow that's frightening I could have written that verbatim. I will definitely look for the 14 hands cab (is it a California wine?). I have to go stock up due to the impending ice/snowmageddon heading our way
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
Wow that's frightening I could have written that verbatim. I will definitely look for the 14 hands cab (is it a California wine?). I have to go stock up due to the impending ice/snowmageddon heading our way
I Googled it and its from Washington. The flavor is complex and spicy with a smooth oak finish. Yep were getting the snow storm too so tonight will be a wine evening! Wine makes everything better.

14 Hands Winery : 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon

I had forgot about Apothic Red wine and for the $10 price at Walmart its darn good.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post

Walmart on 466 has 14 Hands in stock.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Jim and I would both be interested in a wine group; we should be residents in the spring. We both love trying new wines and making new friends. Currently we are enjoying Bolla's Valpolicello and CK Mondavi's Cabernet. We have recently found Our Daily Red at our local Fresh Market, it is both good and cheap! I am enjoying this post and hope this string continues, loving the info.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Sage

I had a really good cabernet last week that I mail-ordered. It's called Josh. Josh Cellars 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, California, Joseph Carr - WineExpress.com

Looking at this link, I see from the price why I liked it. It was one of those things I knew nothing about but threw into an order because it was rated well and our first-born is named Josh! Probably won't be reordering it...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=CFrance;837770]I had a really good cabernet last week that I mail-ordered. It's called Josh. Josh Cellars 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, California, Joseph Carr - WineExpress.com

Looking at this link, I see from the price why I liked it. It was one of those things I knew nothing about but threw into an order because it was rated well and our first-born is named Josh! Probably won't be reordering it...[/QUOT

----------------------

This is good to know we can mail order wine in Florida. A few years ago Michigan banned mail order wine sales. Really, scratching head.

Its funny how us wine drinkers love to talk about wine! Loving this thread. Drinking Bogle 2009 Petite Sirah as I type. The best part is it was on sale for $7 and not bad at all. Its spicy and I like that.

When my typing looks slurred you will know I've had enough, lol.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Sage

[quote=tippyclubb;837806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I had a really good cabernet last week that I mail-ordered. It's called Josh. Josh Cellars 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, California, Joseph Carr - WineExpress.com

Looking at this link, I see from the price why I liked it. It was one of those things I knew nothing about but threw into an order because it was rated well and our first-born is named Josh! Probably won't be reordering it...[/QUOT

----------------------

This is good to know we can mail order wine in Florida. A few years ago Michigan banned mail order wine sales. Really, scratching head.

Its funny how us wine drinkers love to talk about wine! Loving this thread. Drinking Bogle 2009 Petite Sirah as I type. The best part is it was on sale for $7 and not bad at all. Its spicy and I like that.

When my typing looks slurred you will know I've had enough, lol.

That's funny!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Ok you guys just cost me a lot of money I just got back from the store. I have a couple new ones recommended here and a couple old standbys. I forgot about the Coppola Claret - very full bodied. They only had the 14 hands merlot and this blend, no cab so I decided to try their blend. I also picked up the Joel Gott from an earlier post. Looking forward to trying a couple of them over the next few snowy nights.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Wine.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	34574  
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.