When you invite company for supper???

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts
Default When you invite company for supper???

I need some serious help here. I am not kidding. I am in a major rut. I have lasagna'd the heck out of my friends.

Here is what I need to know...

When you invite friends for a little supper together -- maybe 6 or 8 of you -- what do you serve?

What kind of appetizer? Main course? Sides? Dessert? Any wine that you like that does not require cashing in what is left of our life savings?

I would really appreciate any suggestions. I am not a great cook. But I do like to have small groups over.

Recipes would be great. But even just suggestions would be wonderful. Please help me to get out of my lasagna rut.

Thanks.

Boomer
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Gold member
Default Slow cookin

I'm the "cook" in our house. I enjoy cooking. Because of time constraints and a busy schedule I've found the slow cooker a tremendous way to prepare a great meal while still being able to go work or play all day...
Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Location: south jersey, wyandotte Mi, north jersey, monmouth county nj

It has been a long time since my life in Michigan. The midwestern experience I had was...everyone brought a covered dish. The host provided soda and beer ( a few bottles of wine for a sparkling punch). Cheese plates with veggie's cut up with dip. It was the people not the food that made my memories while I lived there. We all were young and poor then, got creative and partyied alot. Not sure this helps you.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Platinum member
Default 1 quick recipe

Butterfly and flatten a whole chicken breast. Slice into thirds. sprinkle w/ celery salt. tablespoon of cream cheese roll up. slice of bacon rolled around the chicken. Bake 350 for 30-40 minutes. Always a hit!!
BTW, I LOVE LASAGNA!!! hint hint!!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Soaring Parsley

All of this helps. Please keep it coming.

Ronda, I am going to try that one for Mr. Boomer and me soon.

CJ, I know what you mean. The only difference is here to the south of our Michigander friends, it's not "soda" it's "pop." And it was all fun. Still is.

rshoffer, I love crockpot stuff. The problem is our crockpot has an evil side. It plots against us and cooks too fast. We have a hyperactive crockpot I think. And we keep giving it more chances. When will we ever learn and just go buy a new crockpot?

The best crockpot I ever had was that avocado green one that was a wedding present from long ago. It could not be immersed in water, but it sure was good at doing the crockpot thing. It finally bit the dust and no crockpot has ever been the same. But maybe I will go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond with one of those coupons they keep sending in the mail every 15 minutes. Or maybe I should go to Goodwill or a garage sale and look for an original crockpot. Crockpot season is fast approaching here in the Midwest.

Boomer
Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
All of this helps. Please keep it coming.

Ronda, I am going to try that one for Mr. Boomer and me soon.

CJ, I know what you mean. The only difference is here to the south of our Michigander friends, it's not "soda" it's "pop." And it was all fun. Still is.

rshoffer, I love crockpot stuff. The problem is our crockpot has an evil side. It plots against us and cooks too fast. We have a hyperactive crockpot I think. And we keep giving it more chances. When will we ever learn and just go buy a new crockpot?

The best crockpot I ever had was that avocado green one that was a wedding present from long ago. It could not be immersed in water, but it sure was good at doing the crockpot thing. It finally bit the dust and no crockpot has ever been the same. But maybe I will go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond with one of those coupons they keep sending in the mail every 15 minutes. Or maybe I should go to Goodwill or a garage sale and look for an original crockpot. Crockpot season is fast approaching here in the Midwest.

Boomer
I got hypnotized by the sales pitch at one of the craft fairs at LSL in July and dropped a big dime on the stainless steel "waterless" cookware. The slow cooker is awesome, as is all the cookware.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Gold member

Boomer, so much depends on the individual tastes of the crowd, ie; picky, vegan, no spicy food, etc. Do you ever watch the FoodNetWork? I've got some great ideas from that channel and we have the luxury of witnessing the food prep, time and presentation. I'm finding simpler, smaller portions with great flavor goes over very well. If you're planning a football game get together, my favorite is the "chili dump" where everyone brings a quart of their homemade chili, yummmy!! And set up sides of diced onion, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese for toppers. (You can also put a bowl of oyster crackers on the table for the for the not so gourmet tastebuds.) Now what time is that party?

(I suggest a test run of ANY recipe before you serve the crowd, even from the FoodNetWork.)

Last edited by Peachie; 11-05-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoffer View Post
I got hypnotized by the sales pitch at one of the craft fairs at LSL in July and dropped a big dime on the stainless steel "waterless" cookware. The slow cooker is awesome, as is all the cookware.

Ohhhhh, I hope Mr. Boomer does not see your post. He likes high-end cookware almost as much as he likes power tools. He has never fully recovered from the joy of a Thanksgiving turkey cooked by our sister-in-law in waterless cookware. (You know, it was the best turkey ever.)

Boomer
Old 11-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Soaring Parsley

Peachie!

That chili sounds like genius.

Boomer
Old 11-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Gold member

Boomer, it is so much fun on a cold, blustery day in the upper Midwest when a game is on the schedule. It also leaves time for the host and hostess to enjoy the conversation and fun. You're on your own for the beverages, Ooooh, I forgot to mention a loaf or two of sliced and very fresh French or Italian bread in baskets with butter available.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

For a "serious" dinner, it's loin of pork on the bbq. I make a cucumber or a spinach salad; asparagus with lemon and garlic; sweet potato casserole; Mrs. Smith's pie for dessert. All easy but look like you worked hard.

For a relaxing dinner with friends, it's lasagna, spaghetti or stew. Occasionally, artichokes stuffed with chicken/walnut salad. Broiled lemon/garlic/tarragon chicken is always a hit, too.

Oddly, I hate to cook but am good at it (except the baking part). The meals I really like to fix are the big holiday ones -- turkey for Thanksgiving; open house for Christmas Eve; turkey or prime rib for Christmas; buffet for New Year's Eve; chili for January 1st; ham for Easter. In California, 20 was a small group that would come for dinner. Sadly, that isn't happening here -- too many go back to be with their kids or want to fix their own meals.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
The meals I really like to fix are the big holiday ones -- turkey for Thanksgiving; open house for Christmas Eve; turkey or prime rib for Christmas; buffet for New Year's Eve; chili for January 1st; ham for Easter.
Redwitch..... "Yum-O", as Rachel Ray says. I'm coming to YOUR home!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Platinum member

One of our favorite fall/winter meals with friends:

Boneless/skinless Chicken Breast
(if they are thick cut in half)
dip into half and half
dip into either cornflake crumbs or panko crumbs mixed with parmesean cheese (cover generously)
place on baking sheet
pour a small amount of melted butter over the top middle
(we use smart balance)
sprinkle Emerils original seasoning on top
Bake for about 30 minutes on 350
You will want it to look a little crispy on outside

Sides: Mashed potato or Acorn Squash
Asparagus or Broc cooked on the stove top with garlic butter spray....cook until browned slightly. We use cauliflower at times but not with the mashed pot. as the colors would like odd together on plate.

Actually any sides will do.....this chicken is so good!!!

Suzy Toronto
Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Gold member

These all sound so great .... much better than the Banquet frozen stuff I'm used to. Arriving in TV next week as a resident and I may just have to check out receipes on the Internet and learn what that big white thing with the 4 firepits on top is actually used for.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Gold member

Cassie, that chicken breast recipe sounds really good. I'm going to lighten it just a little more by trying to dip it in buttermilk and by going a little lighter on the parmesan. (Someone in the house has a cholestral issue). I'll let you know what my "expert taster" thinks of the dish.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.