Who has any good slow cooker /crockpot recipes to share?

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 02-01-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Sauerkraut and Polish Kielbasa:

The longer it cooks, the better the flavor.
Reminds me of the "old" "KAPUSTA".......

Sauerkraut and pork country spare ribs can also be done in slow cooker........
Really easy.
Kapusta. Oh may, that really takes me back. Mom only knew how to make it in very large quantities and it was sooooo good. It was better even better days later.

Looking for a good easy to make beef stroganoff recipe.

VG
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 02-01-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 02-01-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM

If you google (or already have) the recipe for Buffalo Chicken dip, you can convert it to a crock recipe!! So easy, and soo good. I usually don't use all of te Frank's hot sauce that it calls for. It can get a little too hot! But, just dump it all in the crock and stir every few hours! I usually do 4 hours on high or 6 on low!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Went to the market place at Brownwood for the first time on Saturday. Found so many truly wonderful things that I had to hold myself back so as to not to buy too much and waste them.

Brought home fresh green beans. I am an Ohio girl so I love the country style of cooking them low and slow.

I snapped them and put them in a slow cooker with a couple of tablespoons of cut up bacon that I had fried, (with the drippings) and two chicken boullian cubes, two cups of water, salt and pepper and two cut up potatoes and half a large onion cut up. Cooked them on high for an hour and then on low for a couple of hours.

WONDERFUL!
Gracie, I'm going to try this. I liked your corn casserole. I just can't get behiind all this meat (like my husband wishes I would, ha ha) but your green beans sound good. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Sage

I LOVE my crockpot, but seems when I cook meat it is always very, very fall of the bone, but dry. Anyone else have this problem and how can I fix it??? Maybe I'm cooking too long? but follow the recipe guidelines.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM

Hey this is one of my favorites, too. I found organic envelopes and use half each to cut down salt. I also add chopped onion-carrot-celery mire poix on bottom.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM

One of my favorite easy breezy ones is bag of frozen chicken tenders (frozen or thawed), 2 cans of golden mushroom soup, 1/2 cup (or more) of marsala wine. Cook 4 to 6 hrs. About 1 hr before end add package of baby bella slice mushrooms. Can add some carrots, onions if want.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Smile I love these recipes! Can we keep the thread going?

Now that we have a gas stove, and are on a fixed income for the first time, I really would like more slow cooker recipes! I even went to the library today and checked out "slow cooker cooking for dummys".
I think the crock pot is great for TV living. With active lifestyle, and to be flexible on dinner time.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Gold member
Default gas stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by california dreamer View Post
Now that we have a gas stove, and are on a fixed income for the first time, I really would like more slow cooker recipes! I even went to the library today and checked out "slow cooker cooking for dummys".
I think the crock pot is great for TV living. With active lifestyle, and to be flexible on dinner time.
I like the crock pot too, and will be using a couple of these recipes, but not sure what having a gas stove now means?

I have had both gas and elec ranges over the years, and much prefer gas. I cook at home a lot (maybe 5 out of 7 nights, if not more) and don't find a gas stove to be much of an expense. Feb. gas bill was $36 and includes gas dryer, gas hot water and heat (admittedly haven't needed heat much this year) along with the much-used gas range.

Here is my daughter's (working mom) super-quick pot roast recipe (can be found on foodnetwork.com):

Beef Pot Roast

1 (12 oz bag) frozen onions
1 (8 oz bag) frozen baby carrots
1 (8 oz pkg) sliced mushrooms
1/2 pound small new potatoes, halved
4 lbs. beef chuck roast, rinsed and patted dry
salt and pepper
2 T canola oil
1 can condensed cream of celery soup
1 packet onion soup mix
1 c. low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup steak sauce

Brown meat in oil over med-high heat, add to slow cooker on top of veggies.

In small bowl, stir soup, soup mix, beef broth and steak sauce, pour over top. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8-9 hours.

Being frugal and liking to cook, I use fresh instead of frozen, and slice my own mushrooms and carrots and onions. Amounts don't have to be exact. I don't use any oil and use a non-stick pan for the beef, just spray with Pam or similar. I use low-sodium or light soup (can substitute cr of mushroom or really any cream soup). I make my own beef broth either from the drippings or soup base concentrate. The steak sauce seems to give it an added kick from my usual pot roast recipe.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Quick "Stew"

2lbs stew beef
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2C sherry
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1lb baby carrots
1 can mushrooms, drained
salt and pepper to taste

Dump it all in the crockpot and cook on low all day. I like to serve it on mashed potatoes.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

LOVE THIS THREAD!!! Many thanks for all the great recipes!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
I like the crock pot too, and will be using a couple of these recipes, but not sure what having a gas stove now means?

I have had both gas and elec ranges over the years, and much prefer gas. I cook at home a lot (maybe 5 out of 7 nights, if not more) and don't find a gas stove to be much of an expense. Feb. gas bill was $36 and includes gas dryer, gas hot water and heat (admittedly haven't needed heat much this year) along with the much-used gas range.

Here is my daughter's (working mom) super-quick pot roast recipe (can be found on foodnetwork.com):

Beef Pot Roast

1 (12 oz bag) frozen onions
1 (8 oz bag) frozen baby carrots
1 (8 oz pkg) sliced mushrooms
1/2 pound small new potatoes, halved
4 lbs. beef chuck roast, rinsed and patted dry
salt and pepper
2 T canola oil
1 can condensed cream of celery soup
1 packet onion soup mix
1 c. low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup steak sauce

Brown meat in oil over med-high heat, add to slow cooker on top of veggies.

In small bowl, stir soup, soup mix, beef broth and steak sauce, pour over top. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8-9 hours.

Being frugal and liking to cook, I use fresh instead of frozen, and slice my own mushrooms and carrots and onions. Amounts don't have to be exact. I don't use any oil and use a non-stick pan for the beef, just spray with Pam or similar. I use low-sodium or light soup (can substitute cr of mushroom or really any cream soup). I make my own beef broth either from the drippings or soup base concentrate. The steak sauce seems to give it an added kick from my usual pot roast recipe.
Maybe California dreamer might mean the gas burners give off a lot of heat?

For a ton of slow cooker recipes, google... well, "slow cooker recipes"! Allrecipes.com has a lot, as does food network, cookinglight.com, tasteofhome.com... endless.

At all recipes you can sign up for a newsletter that will deliver recipes to your email.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 AM
Gold member
Default gas range

I don't find that the burners give off much heat, but the oven does. Same goes for electric oven - they all have blowers nowadays that heat up the house a lot. I also have one of those countertop toaster/convection ovens. I use that a lot, especially when it's warm here. Just have to keep reminding myself that it cooks a lot quicker and cut the time to about 2/3 of what the recipe says.

Plus, not everything fits in it (the convection countertop), so don't do many big roasts, or ham except in cooler weather mostly. Don't do many big roasts anyway, except now looking for great crock pot recipes per this post.

Pizza needs to go in the regular oven. We use the grill outside many nights a week in nice weather. To us, it's important that the grill be located on the shady side of the house in the evening.

Anyone have a good brisket crock pot recipe?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.