Who would like to share a recipe or thought for a healthy Mediterranean Diet

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Sage
Default Who would like to share a recipe or thought for a healthy Mediterranean Diet

Who would like to share a recipe or "thought" for a healthy Mediterranean Diet? To start:

Mediterranean SaladIngredients
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 handfuls roughly torn romaine lettuce leaves
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 fresh Roma tomatoes - cut into 1/2-inch rounds
  • 1/2 clove garlic - minced (crushed)
  • 1/2 green pepper - julienned
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 small red onion - thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
PreparationMix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine just before serving. Variations: There are lots of possible additions to this basic salad, but keep in mind that it should remain a simple and light salad to accompany a meal. Toss through some garlic-rubbed croutons or a handful of chopped toasted nuts (like walnuts, pine nuts or hazelnuts), finely chopped capers, olives, sun-dried tomatoes or cheese. Servings 2.

Insalata CapreseIngredients
  • 4 ripe tomatoes, sliced into wedges
  • 1 pound of buffalo mozzarella sliced (regular mozzarella will do)
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
  • Salt & pepper to taste
PreparationOn a platter you want to arrange the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese in an alternating circular pattern. Take the fresh basil and spread it evenly over the tomatoes and mozzarella. Take the olive oil and drizzle it over top. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, serve balsamic vinegar on the side.

Sautéed Broccoli Rabe
  • 4 pounds broccoli rabe (rapini)
  • 2 tablespoons lightly toasted pignoli or pine nuts, toasted (optional)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • Salt
PreparationIn a large pot (6-8 quart size), fill 3/4 way with cold salted water. Bring water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil, trim the large woody portions of the stems from the broccoli rabe. Place large bunches into the boiling water. Blanch the broccoli rabe until crisp tender, about 2 to 3 minutes per bunch. Transfer the broccoli rabe to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain the cooled broccoli rabe and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and sauté until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the broccoli rabe and toss to coat. Add the reserved cooking water, and cook until the broccoli rabe is heated through and the stems are tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.

Serve immediately tossing the broccoli rabe with the toasted pine nuts, is a matter of taste.

You can also serve with rigatoni, ziti or your favorite macaroni. Serves 4-6.

Prosciutto e MeloneIngredients
  • 1 cantaloupe
  • 12 slices of prosciutto
PreparationSlice the cantaloupe in half and remove all of the seeds. Evenly cut each half into 6 wedges giving you a total of 12. Remove the rind from each wedge. The presentation part is up to you. You can place the prosciutto next to each slice of cantaloupe, on top of each slice or wrap it around each wedge. You can also use this recipe with honeydew.

Sicilian Orange SaladIngredients
  • 3 navel oranges
  • 3 blood oranges
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced into paper thin rings
  • Oregano to taste
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
PreparationPeel the oranges, and remove all the pits. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Arrange the slices on a large, shallow platter. Lay the onion slices on top of the oranges and sprinkle with the oregano. Drizzle the olive oil over the salad, and season generously with black pepper. Makes 4-6 servings.

Fettucine AlfredoIngredients
  • 1/2 pound room temperature butter
  • Salt
  • 1/2 pound grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
PreparationIn Italy "Pasta Alfredo" doesn't exist. Italians make a dish of pasta, fettuccine dressed with nothing else than good aged parmigiano cheese and a lot of butter, but is such a simple preparation that Italians don't even consider it as a "recipe".

Place half of the butter in a serving bowl. Keep the bowl warm. Cook the fettuccine in abundant salted water. When the pasta is perfectly al dente, (firm but not too soft or overcooked), save a few tablespoons of the cooking water. Drain without shaking the colander too much, so that the pasta doesn't become too dry. Drop the hot pasta in the bowl over the butter. Add the rest of the butter and toss quickly to melt it. Add the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and a small quantity of the reserved cooking water if the pasta appears too dry. Toss vigorously, and serve immediately, accompanied by a small bowl with more grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for the guests to add if they would like.

Summer PastaIngredients
  • 4 or 5 large, ripe homegrown tomatoes chopped
  • 3 large cloves of garlic minced
  • 1/2 cup ribbon cut basil
  • 3 tablespoons capers
  • 3/4 cup chopped olives
  • Hot pepper flakes or black pepper
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
PreparationPut all ingredients in a bowl and leave on the kitchen counter for 4 hours or more. Add salt to bowl about 1 hour before you use it. Pour it over your favorite pasta and sprinkle with grated cheese.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam

senior citizen you have eaten at my parents home haven't you?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
senior citizen you have eaten at my parents home haven't you?
It's quite possible. You might be a "cousin".......

Just wanted to show the vegans and vegetarians that we were the first of that breed.........my "famiglia" ate tons of vegetables, beans, fruits, nuts and stuff.........besides the heavier dishes like manicotti and stuffed shells, lasagna, etc.

Everything old is new again. Escarole, broccoli rabe, etc......pasta fagioli which is bean soup........nothing new under the sun.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
It's quite possible. You might be a "cousin".......

Just wanted to show the vegans and vegetarians that we were the first of that breed.........my "famiglia" ate tons of vegetables, beans, fruits, nuts and stuff.........besides the heavier dishes like manicotti and stuffed shells, lasagna, etc.

Everything old is new again. Escarole, broccoli rabe, etc......pasta fagioli which is bean soup........nothing new under the sun.
Pasta fagioli was a staple type food for new immigrants as they could not afford meat. My mother was a big greens eater and maybe if thy lucky, they would have meat once per week.

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio was another dish that was prepared frequently.

Garlic Spaghetti - Spaghetti Aglio e Olio Recipe - Pasta with Garlic and Olive Oil - YouTube

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Pasta fagioli was a staple type food for new immigrants as they could not afford meat. My mother was a big greens eater and maybe if thy lucky, they would have meat once per week.

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio was another dish that was prepared frequently.

Garlic Spaghetti - Spaghetti Aglio e Olio Recipe - Pasta with Garlic and Olive Oil - YouTube

Neat.

I always loved beans and macaroni as a kid (pasta fazool/pasta fagioli)

Even loved my "greens" like escarole/broccoli/spinach, etc.

Love garlic spaghetti. Made it yesterday. i use a ton of garlic which is a natural antibiotic..........never get colds or flu. Keeps the vampires away.

I'm glad you are taking cooking lessons!!!

p.s.The kids today prefer chicken mc nuggets.....and fries and PIZZA.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Senior.

When you finally move down here, will you please try to move on my block?

You show your love through your cooking.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Senior.

When you finally move down here, will you please try to move on my block?

You show your love through your cooking.
I wish I could.........
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.