$$ service fees $$

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2020, 07:13 AM
Veteran member
Default $$ service fees $$

just curious.. I purchased a hot tub from spa kingdom about 8 mos. ago... the main contorl panel shorted out and had to be replaced ... I was not charged for the part or labor to replace it since it was under warranty ... what I was charged was $95 to drive to the house as a service fee... the owner finally reduced it to $65 which I believe is still WAYYY to much and something I shouldn't have to pay since the hot tub was only 8 mos old the manufacturer should pay all expenses...
Old 11-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.

We bought a hot tub from Spa Kingdom three years ago and we have not had any problems. We get along very well with the employees.

Would it be OK to print out your post and show it to them? Maybe it will show them that we Villagers communicate with each other and that if one business treats one of us poorly, the word gets around very quickly.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

What was his response when you told him what you thought of his service fee? I would also be in contact with the manufacturer.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
just curious.. I purchased a hot tub from spa kingdom about 8 mos. ago... the main contorl panel shorted out and had to be replaced ... I was not charged for the part or labor to replace it since it was under warranty ... what I was charged was $95 to drive to the house as a service fee... the owner finally reduced it to $65 which I believe is still WAYYY to much and something I shouldn't have to pay since the hot tub was only 8 mos old the manufacturer should pay all expenses...
Is there a question in our near future???
Old 11-08-2020, 07:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

OP what does your warranty state?

Parts and labor?

Or parts?

Some warranties specifically exclude travel in labor, what does yours say?
Old 11-08-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Spa Kingdom ...*****
Old 11-08-2020, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
OP what does your warranty state?

Parts and labor?

Or parts?

Some warranties specifically exclude travel in labor, what does yours say?
If you agreed and accepted warranty you get to pay for exclusions set forth in the warranty
Old 11-08-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

We have a Maxx spa from Spa Kingdom, completely trouble free since December 2013, and out of the factory warranty. I have a friend with a similar unit about a year newer, and the main control failed after 4 years and several months, I do not recall if there was a service charge for the initial inspection to determine what was wrong, I know the owner was very happy with the no charge replacement of the main controller.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

Would it be OK to print out your post and show it to them? Maybe it will show them that we Villagers communicate with each other and that if one business treats one of us poorly, the word gets around very quickly.[/QUOTE]

sure go ahead...

and to answer questions on warranty it does say all PARTS and LABOR are covered and that a REASONABLE travel charge may be assesesd... so my question is (dewilson.. r u happy now) do you think a $95 travel charge from fruitland park to springdale area is reasonable?? to me it seems very steep... I would honestly expect no more than $50
Old 11-08-2020, 01:43 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

and to answer questions on warranty it does say all PARTS and LABOR are covered and that a REASONABLE travel charge may be assesesd... so my question is (dewilson.. r u happy now) do you think a $95 travel charge from fruitland park to springdale area is reasonable?? to me it seems very steep... I would honestly expect no more than $50[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the $65............$100/hr is not out of line for a technician.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
and to answer questions on warranty it does say all PARTS and LABOR are covered and that a REASONABLE travel charge may be assesesd... so my question is (dewilson.. r u happy now) do you think a $95 travel charge from fruitland park to springdale area is reasonable?? to me it seems very steep... I would honestly expect no more than $50

Congrats on the $65............$100/hr is not out of line for a technician. [/QUOTE]

If you include travel time, $100 per hour seems a little steep to me. That would be about $200K per year for a full time job repairing hot tubs.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Congrats on the $65............$100/hr is not out of line for a technician.
If you include travel time, $100 per hour seems a little steep to me. That would be about $200K per year for a full time job repairing hot tubs.[/QUOTE]

You think they pay their tech $100.00 an hour..... that's a good one! ROFLMAO

How about his pay, benefits, vehicle, vehicle insurance,business insurance, gas for vehicle, rent, electric, etc. and maybe a small profit. Nobody is in business to lose money or break even. I would ask when buying what the fee was.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
How about his pay, benefits, vehicle, vehicle insurance, business insurance, gas for vehicle, rent, electric, etc. and maybe a small profit. Nobody is in business to lose money or break even.
[/COLOR]
Happens all the time with service labor rates, the common assumption that on site labor is paying for just the service technician's salary. Minimum call outs in hours, travel time and labor rates and all direct cost of sales, including training for different manufactures and models, in the service world provides anywhere from 30-40% margin to cover the sg&a for a 10-15%% profit before tax in the large country wide commercial service world. Key west service calls were bundled together and included overnight hotel stay or two depending upon the quantity of calls. The product being inspected and serviced were fire alarm panels, restaurant kitchenhood suppressoin systems, and sprinkler systems with state mandated inspections.

We had customers complain about the travel charge when the building was located on the same road. Like they don't understand that travel charges are an average given the service area radius. Try doing a single national service rate and be profitable across all the different cost of living areas in the united states. . . same rate alabama and new york city without looking expensive somewhere.

So best always ask ahead of time, because if no one will pay the charge, there will be no service.

finance guy
Old 11-09-2020, 06:12 AM

The purpose of starting a business is to make a profit, not break even. $65 is not out of line. Enjoy your hot tub.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
Would it be OK to print out your post and show it to them? Maybe it will show them that we Villagers communicate with each other and that if one business treats one of us poorly, the word gets around very quickly.

sure go ahead...

and to answer questions on warranty it does say all PARTS and LABOR are covered and that a REASONABLE travel charge may be assesesd... so my question is (dewilson.. r u happy now) do you think a $95 travel charge from fruitland park to springdale area is reasonable?? to me it seems very steep... I would honestly expect no more than $50[/QUOTE]
You said they dropped it to $65.
Closed Thread

Tags
charged, mos, service, tub, hot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.