$$ service fees $$

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2020, 06:37 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you include travel time, $100 per hour seems a little steep to me. That would be about $200K per year for a full time job repairing hot tubs.

The worker does not get the $100/hr.

Car Dealerships (mechanic, body shop), Plumbers, Electricians, etc., charge $75 to $125 but the worker (fully loaded) probably gets about 1/2 that with benefits costing 25% to 45%.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:41 AM

Yep, we’ve had our Maax spa less than 2 years & it’s a lemon - main control board went out (same $100 fee), then they discovered it was a secondary board & had to order diff part (no additional fee charged). Now LED lights are out, same deal - “we’ll come look at them but it’s a $100 service fee”, warranty says parts & labor covered - but apparently not travel!
Old 11-09-2020, 06:44 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

I think it's B.S
Old 11-09-2020, 06:52 AM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Lol tell us what you really think! Don’t beat around the bush!
Old 11-09-2020, 07:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
just curious.. I purchased a hot tub from spa kingdom about 8 mos. ago... the main contorl panel shorted out and had to be replaced ... I was not charged for the part or labor to replace it since it was under warranty ... what I was charged was $95 to drive to the house as a service fee... the owner finally reduced it to $65 which I believe is still WAYYY to much and something I shouldn't have to pay since the hot tub was only 8 mos old the manufacturer should pay all expenses...
The point of warranty is so the seller can charge all the expenses related to the repair to the manufacture. I would not be surprised to see a charge to the manufacturer for the transportation amount. Naughty business practice from Spa Kingdom. Shame Shame.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
The point of warranty is so the seller can charge all the expenses related to the repair to the manufacture. I would not be surprised to see a charge to the manufacturer for the transportation amount. Naughty business practice from Spa Kingdom. Shame Shame.

JIm.. that is exactly what I told them.. I said you are double dipping charging me and the MFG. ... also again this is 8 month old hot tub ...

1 other thing I forgot to add...when I first called they said a possible diadnostics charge could be added and it was I believe $125 ... I was ****ed and told them I've already told you what was wrong bring the newcontrol board with you and replace it BUYER BEWARE WITH SPA KINGDOM
Old 11-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Sounds to me like he wanted a hefty tip. I would have called the company while he was there to find out if this fee is legit.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
Sounds to me like he wanted a hefty tip. I would have called the company while he was there to find out if this fee is legit.

this wasn't the service guy it was on the phone with the service dept.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
just curious.. I purchased a hot tub from spa kingdom about 8 mos. ago... the main contorl panel shorted out and had to be replaced ... I was not charged for the part or labor to replace it since it was under warranty ... what I was charged was $95 to drive to the house as a service fee... the owner finally reduced it to $65 which I believe is still WAYYY to much and something I shouldn't have to pay since the hot tub was only 8 mos old the manufacturer should pay all expenses...
Correct, the manufacturer should pay the vendor not you
Old 11-09-2020, 08:15 AM

Wow. This would be a great question on an logic test. If you pass - you get to vote for the POTUS. This is pretty simple:
1) Warranty... says it they charge for travel; it is not hidden. Isn't travel a ROUND TRIP expense? $100? VERY FAIR!
2) Manufacturer... why would you assume they are double dipping? Why would the manufacturer pay the travel? {I've been on that side of the business - and trust me - the manufacturer is NOT paying for travel}
3) Diagnostics... would a doctor take your word for a diagnosis? Would they charge for the diagnosis - and the surgery?
4) Cost Of Business... the hourly wage is a small part. Hear of OVERHEAD? They have people to answer phones, people to do accounting, people to manage human resources, people to supervise, time invested in training, expenses for vehicles, utility bills, rent, etc.

Why is this so ridiculous?
Because based on very poor critical thinking - some of you want to destroy a company's reputation? YOU should be ASHAMED!
Old 11-09-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorDave View Post
Wow. This would be a great question on an logic test. If you pass - you get to vote for the POTUS. This is pretty simple:
1) Warranty... says it they charge for travel; it is not hidden. Isn't travel a ROUND TRIP expense? $100? VERY FAIR!
2) Manufacturer... why would you assume they are double dipping? Why would the manufacturer pay the travel? {I've been on that side of the business - and trust me - the manufacturer is NOT paying for travel}
3) Diagnostics... would a doctor take your word for a diagnosis? Would they charge for the diagnosis - and the surgery?
4) Cost Of Business... the hourly wage is a small part. Hear of OVERHEAD? They have people to answer phones, people to do accounting, people to manage human resources, people to supervise, time invested in training, expenses for vehicles, utility bills, rent, etc.

Why is this so ridiculous?
Because based on very poor critical thinking - some of you want to destroy a company's reputation? YOU should be ASHAMED!
I would just make two points:

First, I have never paid anything when someone has come to my house to repair something that is covered by a warranty. I think that is a fairly standard practice for warranties.

And second, did the salesperson actually inform the customer about the unusual travel charge that is stated in the warranty? The Spa Kingdom website includes an owners manual that only refers to the warranty, but it does not include the actual warranty document. It says that the warrant document will come with the product. So, I guess you only get to read the warranty after you buy the product. That doesn't sound fair to me.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

every spa dealer works same way --- no one askes first if any fee's with guarantee. Since they pay the repair guys $ `5 an hour or so , they always come out ahead .

Quote:
Old 11-09-2020, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

if your car had a problem in warrantee - would they charge to diagnose it ??
Old 11-09-2020, 09:35 AM
Default Naughty business practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I agree it is a naughty business practice. I've owned portable spas/hot tubs for over 25 years. My first one was a Cal spa and no fees at all for any type of warranty work. Moved about 5 years later got another Cal spa in another city and again no fees for warranty work. Moved about five years later and got a Hot Springs Spa and was shocked to be charged a service/travel fee for warranty work. My sister also bought the same Hot Springs spa at approximately the same time in another state and there was no fee at all to her for warranty work. So this tells me it is up to the dealer whether or not to be greedy about these tack on fees. So thanks to OP for sharing the name of the dealer so we can factor that in for future purchases or recommendations. Best wishes and have a great day.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
if your car had a problem in warrantee - would they charge to diagnose it ??
Maybe he should've driven his hot tube down there.....
Closed Thread

Tags
charged, mos, service, tub, hot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.