$ stolen from Chula Vista Pool

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Default $ stolen from Chula Vista Pool

While at the Chula Vista pool this morning, my friend's bag with cash, driver's license, credit card, house and golf cart keys were stolen. After reporting to the police, and about an hour later, with the help of another Village resident who coincidentally also had cash stolen at the same pool recently, the bag was found in the trash on pool grounds, with everything in tact except for the cash.

A huge thanks to one of the Village residents at the Chula Vista pool who not only encouraged us to search the grounds, but walked around with us and heard the phone ringing when we tried calling it. That's what makes TV so special...the kindheartedness of its residents.

So....reminder to keep your valuables tightly guarded even if you are just at the pool or dancing. And, if your phone supports passwords, require a password after a few minutes so that if it gets stolen, you mitigate the risk of someone getting access to the content of your phone (your phone book with names and addresses for example). And my own "lesson learned": memorize key phone numbers and do not rely on speed dials, caller id redial, and cell phone address books. That will allow you to quickly dial a key phone number if you need to make an emergency phone call from a phone that doesn't have your favorite numbers stored.

Luckily for my friend, only cash was stolen. Id's, credit cards and keys were all recovered.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
While at the Chula Vista pool this morning, my friend's bag with cash, driver's license, credit card, house and golf cart keys were stolen. After reporting to the police, and about an hour later, with the help of another Village resident who coincidentally also had cash stolen at the same pool recently, the bag was found in the trash on pool grounds, with everything in tact except for the cash.

A huge thanks to one of the Village residents at the Chula Vista pool who not only encouraged us to search the grounds, but walked around with us and heard the phone ringing when we tried calling it. That's what makes TV so special...the kindheartedness of its residents.

So....reminder to keep your valuables tightly guarded even if you are just at the pool or dancing. And, if your phone supports passwords, require a password after a few minutes so that if it gets stolen, you mitigate the risk of someone getting access to the content of your phone (your phone book with names and addresses for example). And my own "lesson learned": memorize key phone numbers and do not rely on speed dials, caller id redial, and cell phone address books. That will allow you to quickly dial a key phone number if you need to make an emergency phone call from a phone that doesn't have your favorite numbers stored.

Luckily for my friend, only cash was stolen. Id's, credit cards and keys were all recovered.
Columbo, not being a Villager, would have immediately suspected the person who encouraged you to search the grounds. Clever fellow, but Columbo will get him in the end.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Thought of that but the person who offered the advice/help had just drove up in their golf cart and was not seen at the pool prior to them driving up. I agree, exactly my thought too...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Sage

Where did she leave the items that were taken and where was she when they were taken?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM

My friend was in the water while the bag was tucked under a hat on one of the tables in the pool area.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Sage

What a shame. We all have to be vigilant and watch out for ourselves and our friends.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank goodness. That is very rare here. In fact this is the first time I have heard of such a thing happening.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
Thought of that but the person who offered the advice/help had just drove up in their golf cart and was not seen at the pool prior to them driving up. I agree, exactly my thought too...
Columbo would also be suspicious of the guy who tried to throw suspicion on the good samaritan. I think I have to go on the road for a few days until this all cools off!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Gold member

This is sad. Probably someone who blends in very well.

I'm young and fast. Do it to me and I'll get ya.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

The person that took this bag was pretty brave to take a chance with what appears to be people very close by. Perhaps a kleptomaniac at best or someone very desperate for money at the worst. At any rate, something to definitely be concerned about. If they are "working" a pool, could also be at the Squares.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i think we need to be aware anywhere and anytime
Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Veteran member
Default 3rd time

That's the 3rd instance I've heard of.
It also happened to me about 2 years ago at Chula pool.
Someone took the whole wallet with $100 in it plus all cc's id's etc.

Now all that goes there is phone & id

"let's be carefull out there"
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 08-19-2012, 09:15 AM

The only thing I will be bring to the pool is a towel! Oh ya,and swim trunks.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Sage

I would never bring my purse to the pool. Towel, Villages ID and driver license, and maybe some change for the soda machine. All in a pocket with keys.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Gold member

We arrived at the pool about fifteen minutes after the theft occurred. The owner's phone has a distinctive Superman ringtone, and they kept calling it. The good Samaritan was looking around the back of the bathrooms and heard a funny song playing in the ladies' bathroom. He investigated and found the stolen bag in the trash can. Everything was still in the bag - no cash was stolen as reported by the OP. As you can imagine, the owner was pleased. And it was nice to see the police were on the case within minutes.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.