$1.50 for a candy bar

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Veteran member
Default $1.50 for a candy bar

Playing golf at hacienda yesterday stopped at the starter shack for a candy bar. Noticed a little sign stating new price for candy bars. Used to be a dollar. 50% increase? Man behind counter said nobody will buy them and many customers said they will send a letter of protest to the golf admin. From now on bring your own.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Platinum member

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

How much is a candy bar at Publix or Sweetbay?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM

As they say, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Thus they can't sell it. If you buy it, they got away with it.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Sage

Ahhh, the days of a nickel or dime candy bar makes me refrain from paying these exhoritant prices. I think $1.50 is over the top for the price of a candy bar.

It seems to me if they can't sell them, they should lower the price and or not sell them.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Stop by the movie theatre concession stand..see what you get for $1.50
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

And check the 'use by date' on them!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
Playing golf at hacienda yesterday stopped at the starter shack for a candy bar. Noticed a little sign stating new price for candy bars. Used to be a dollar. 50% increase? Man behind counter said nobody will buy them and many customers said they will send a letter of protest to the golf admin. From now on bring your own.
Posted the same basic comment a few days ago. Although you are absolutely correct, you have opened yourself up to criticism by many of your friends and neighbors who believe that the powers to be can do anything they want in this little paradise and get away with it. If they had any class at all, they would give every player a free candy bar at the turn and say thank you for playing here. (If they like this idea, I'm sure you'll see a corresponding $2.00 increase in Green Fees).
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Gold member

If you think $1.50 is too much for a candy bar, see my post about the Willie Nelson and family Show at Savannah center for $175.00 PP. they must believe their ads that say live like a millionaire for the rest of your life in TV.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

why don't they allow some organization to supply the shacks with candy bars as part of a fund-raising project? I remember the band members in high school doing that all the time.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Gold member
Default Candy Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
First, I don't know of anyone who plays golf at Publix or the Willie nelson Concert so this just isn't relevant..
Now too long ago I was a golf course employee. We were allow to stock and sell candy bars and soda as long as we purchased the stuff on our own time. We were allowed to use the profits for some nice yearly staff parties. I suppose someone in the golf division became aware that we were making several hundred dollars yearly and decided "they" wanted the little candy and soda business.
I know for a fact you can still go to Sams and purchase the candy bars and chips for much less than a dollar each, most at around 50 cents each. So at $2.00, is this not a 300% profit and the labor to dispense the candy and soda doesn't cost the Golf Division a cent more.
Sounds kind of outragous doesn't it ???
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post
Posted the same basic comment a few days ago. Although you are absolutely correct, you have opened yourself up to criticism by many of your friends and neighbors who believe that the powers to be can do anything they want in this little paradise and get away with it. If they had any class at all, they would give every player a free candy bar at the turn and say thank you for playing here. (If they like this idea, I'm sure you'll see a corresponding $2.00 increase in Green Fees).
That's the spirit, condemn the developer again. If you want a free meal then go to one of those financial seminars that are so abundant around here.
I'll bet you that people would complain if candy bars were not for sale at the turn. Can't please everyone especially the ones that feel "Entitled".
Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
First, I don't know of anyone who plays golf at Publix or the Willie nelson Concert so this just isn't relevant..
Now too long ago I was a golf course employee. We were allow to stock and sell candy bars and soda as long as we purchased the stuff on our own time. We were allowed to use the profits for some nice yearly staff parties. I suppose someone in the golf division became aware that we were making several hundred dollars yearly and decided "they" wanted the little candy and soda business.
I know for a fact you can still go to Sams and purchase the candy bars and chips for much less than a dollar each, most at around 50 cents each. So at $2.00, is this not a 300% profit and the labor to dispense the candy and soda doesn't cost the Golf Division a cent more.
Sounds kind of outragous doesn't it ???
and I don't know anyone that golfs at Sam's so that isn't relevant either.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post
I actually have re-written my response after re-reading the post and your comments, and surmise that your note was in reference to the OPs comment about a 50% increase versus the actual cost of the candy bar. Assuming that to be the case, you may have inadvertently opened yourself up for repeat criticism with the free candy bar comment. The short of it is that someone, somewhere, is not going to agree. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I would only suggest that we all ignore any piling on and fo myself, I'll thank the OP for the head's up on the cost of a candy bar at the starter's shack.

By the way, I don't know who said it, but the quote is something like this: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death to protect your right to say it".
Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

$1.50 is too much for a candy bar anywhere, at least I won't pay it. I remember back in the 60's visiting my grandma in Scottsdale, PA. you could go to the candy store and for .05 or .10 you could buy a whole bag of candy and actually ask for .01 of different kinds of candy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.